The Family Club That Keeps Falling Apart

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone's an expert on the once powerful Bulldogs who are going through transitional changes on an off the field.
First things first, save the rest of the year and get the team off the bottom, there is plenty to play for and a challenge to meet.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Well the bulldog members based it on nepotism. Dumb criteria.
Time to kick them to the kerb.
Replace the board with people that actually have passion for the club such as people like us on the kennel
Do you actually know who is on the Board?

Perhaps a quick run down;
John Ballesty, in the early 80's he came to the Leagues Club as General Manager, having had financial and competitive success at Eastwood Rugby Club. At the time we were very close to insolvency and the club was on the brink of folding. He turned it around completely and by 2000 it was financially Australia's largest single licensed club.

Steve Price, graduated from University with a Masters Degree in Business Administration in 2010 and was voted the Outstanding Young Alumnus of the Year. He also holds the NZ Order of Merit for being most responsible for the survival of the Warriors in 2006. Most people would only know him as a footballer, but he's super smart, well educated in business, has sky high integrity and most of all he's a Bulldog. I have no idea why anyone wouldn't want him on our Board.

Paul Dunn, he was the CEO that resurrected Souths when they were reinstated to the NRL. One very experienced club administrator with a proven track record.

Turvey, are you really going to "kick him to the kerb" (your words)?

John Khoury brings far more to us than the pathways program, he has an ever growing network of businesses connections that bring their support to us.

Lynne Anderson, does she really need any introduction?

Chris Anderson, definitely doesn't need any introduction, Bulldogs legend, played in and coached premiership winning teams in Australia and England.

That's to me looks like a lot of people with tonnes of "Bulldogs passion" (your words), long term loyalties to our club combined with the business acumen that any board would welcome.

Go Dogs

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

John Ballesty, in the early 80's he came to the Leagues Club as General Manager, having had financial and competitive success at Eastwood Rugby Club. At the time we were very close to insolvency and the club was on the brink of folding. He turned it around completely and by 2000 it was financially Australia's largest single licensed club.

Steve Price, graduated from University with a Masters Degree in Business Administration in 2010 and was voted the Outstanding Young Alumnus of the Year. He also holds the NZ Order of Merit for being most responsible for the survival of the Warriors in 2006. Most people would only know him as a footballer, but he's super smart, well educated in business, has sky high integrity and most of all he's a Bulldog. I have no idea why anyone wouldn't want him on our Board.

Paul Dunn, he was the CEO that resurrected Souths when they were reinstated to the NRL. One very experienced club administrator with a proven track record.

John Khoury brings far more to us than the pathways program, he has an ever growing network of businesses connections that bring their support to us.

Chris Anderson, definitely doesn't need any introduction, Bulldogs legend, played in and coached premiership winning teams in Australia and England.

That's to me looks like a lot of people with tonnes of "Bulldogs passion" (your words), long term loyalties to our club combined with the business acumen that any board would welcome.

Go Dogs
This is a very valid post as all these people have cred and strong Bulldog ties. However, when the club was successful in the past the front office was always clear about its performance and direction with fans, supporters and sponsors. At the moment there are many sponsors let alone fans who feel like the club is treading water if not going backwards, and there is deafening silence from the top about their view or plan to fix it.

I believe the story of the Des mess left behind but at some point hiding behind this excuse need to stop. A plan is required to turn it around and at the very least it needs to be shared with your support base and sponsors.

Snippets of dribble about who's to blame or that it wont get better till 2021 is not a plan its an excuse. I dont want to wait to 2021 to find out that they (the board) just all collectively hoped it woulds sort itself out and get better because the cap is fixed, I want to embrace a plan or idea on how that will happen.

Just because you are related to a great leader doesn't mean you are one.. The Anderson's and the board need to show leadership and act, whether by detailing even the outskirts of their business plan to turn things around or at the very least publicly express their disappointment with how the clubs travelling and that the wheels are in motion to fix it. Some tough talk and decisions are required and this needs to start with the coach and players, all need to be put on notice.

The Players and coach need to be told publicly and directly that they are on notice and the efforts and results are not good enough.

Pay needs a KPI for the rest of the year ( e.g win at least 8 games for the season ) or face dismissal. And the players need to know that they are on trial now for contracts.

If something doesn't give now February elections could be another shit fight and another board gone.

FFS DO SOMETHING....Lead, Follow or get out of the way.

Last edited:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Go Dogs
You cut and pasted this from an old post of yours. Stop sugar coating our board.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You cut and pasted this from an old post of yours. Stop sugar coating our board.
Steve Price is hardly around, just a number on the board. Big deal, he has a degree, so do I and many others...pffft
Paul Dunn promised the world with sponsorship....to date he hasn't brought in shit
Chris Anderson...I'm not commenting on this one, it might get me in trouble.
Turvey? A Bulldog great but please..have you had a chat with him lately?
Lynn - nothing to say really, but just because she's the daughter of Bullfrog it doesn't mean she is Bullfrog...two different people.
John Khoury - the only one worth keeping IMO. This bloke typifies what putting the clubs best interest first is all about.
Maybe you should read the post that I was responding to;
Well the bulldog members based it on nepotism. Dumb criteria.
Time to kick them to the kerb.
Replace the board with people that actually have passion for the club such as people like us on the kennel
Firstly, accusing the Board of "nepotism", demonstrably not the case.
Then being "dumb", again plainly not the case.
Lastly, accusing them of not having "passion for the club", I really don't know how to articulate how far that is from the truth, it's quite simply bullshit of the highest order.

Go Dogs

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Or was it Pay having coffee with DWZ?
Or maybe it was Gould's influence?
Gould is to thank for DWZ's signature.

All the anti Anderson people on TK must be Liberal supporters because all the Liberals are good for is attacking Labor but offer nothing else in order to win the elections.
Those who are continually attacking the Anderson's and the current board who have only been in the job for less than 18 months and inherited an absolute mess, no doubt do so in order to get their own favorites on the board.
They'll still be using the inherited mess excuse in 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 and beyond.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gould has fuck all to do with it. It was between Cowboys, Tigers and Dogs. He didn’t want to leave Sydney and Tigers couldn’t free up enough cap.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kent must have done a good job. To write an article about nothing and managed to get 3 days and 7 pages of reactions from us fans. And still going..

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I no longer will post any information i get on the dogs because its obvious the telecrap reads our posts. What i do know is that the telecrap no longer have any contacts at the dogs like they had with Dib. Everything they print on the dogs is guess work hoping something may eventuate on their crap. The fact that the telecrap have no contacts now at the dogs is a good thing for us but they dont like it. The last thing we need is newsmedia controlling us thats why in my opinion were lucky we have the board we have. All this speculation by telecrap is to destabilise the club started with Mad Monday as we all know that was a set up.
Paul Kent and his cronies have a mission and i hope those bastards are reading this because they are all nothing but slime. No other club is spoken about its board and management by the dt other than the dogs. If we all go back to the coffs harbour crap how we were battered everyday by the Telecrap good people lost their jobs at the dogs because of the bullshit and lies and then no charges laid.
Then dib joined the board and we were angels with the telecrap till he was thrown out. The only thing telecrap is good for is the crosswords puzzles
Partially your story is right my friend...The telecrap is not to be trusted, but lets straiten few things out...
1...You are wrong blaming Dib for leaking out info, did you ask who was doing it before him and who is doing it now ?
Remember where there smoke there is fire...they are still getting info NOW!
2...Todd Greenturd brokered the peace in 2008 and I have reported that before without any names mentioned.
This is why we relatively had peaceful time between 2008 - 2017.
Dib made some mistakes
1...trusting Hasler after sacking all his cronies
2...not acting on Mortimer's and Peponis's opinions regarding Hasler
3...In hindsight Extending Hasler's contract was a mistake but it was done after three times he consulted the playing group and they solely blamed them selves and not Hasler for the bad form...
4...Trusting and becoming friends with Nick Politis is absolute madness
But to question his credibility and integrity IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG !!!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

They'll still be using the inherited mess excuse in 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 and beyond.
I don't think our current board can do any more than they doing now, perhaps there is plan of weather to keep or replace Pay, but then that depends on who else is available. I doubt that a coach would only come to our club if the current board was replaced.
I tend to believe of just how bad our cap situation was and to some extent still is, I very much doubt it could be proven otherwise by anyone on the TK.
Recent signings by this board CHN now DWZ and Stimson they are all genuine NRL standard, Sue has been OK too, all better signings than Woods and Foran by the previous board, they were all panic signings, my only concern is the signing of Napa by the current board.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Partially your story is right my friend...The telecrap is not to be trusted, but lets straiten few things out...
1...You are wrong blaming Dib for leaking out info, did you ask who was doing it before him and who is doing it now ?
Remember where there smoke there is fire...they are still getting info NOW!
2...Todd Greenturd brokered the peace in 2008 and I have reported that before without any names mentioned.
This is why we relatively had peaceful time between 2008 - 2017.
Dib made some mistakes
1...trusting Hasler after sacking all his cronies
2...not acting on Mortimer's and Peponis's opinions regarding Hasler
3...In hindsight Extending Hasler's contract was a mistake but it was done after three times he consulted the playing group and they solely blamed them selves and not Hasler for the bad form...
4...Trusting and becoming friends with Nick Politis is absolute madness
But to question his credibility and integrity IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG !!!
So glad in your opinion i got something right. Enjoy your day my Friend

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Firstly, accusing the Board of "nepotism", demonstrably not the case.
Then being "dumb", again plainly not the case.
Lastly, accusing them of not having "passion for the club", I really don't know how to articulate how far that is from the truth, it's quite simply bullshit of the highest order.

Go Dogs
If they had passion for the club they wouldn't make stupid decisions like extending Pays contract.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What part of it was "Bullshit"
Well for starters, the ‘40 year’ relationship between the Dogs and Farrar. How about the 18 years he had nothing to do with the club while he played for Wests, Wigan and Illawarra and then coached the Steelers and St. Merge after the happy marriage? So let’s call it 22 years. So there you go, some bullshit, or at the very least factually incorrect - but since when has the Daily Terrorgraph ever let the facts get in the way of one of their fairytales?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I no longer will post any information i get on the dogs because its obvious the telecrap reads our posts. What i do know is that the telecrap no longer have any contacts at the dogs like they had with Dib. Everything they print on the dogs is guess work hoping something may eventuate on their crap. The fact that the telecrap have no contacts now at the dogs is a good thing for us but they dont like it. The last thing we need is newsmedia controlling us thats why in my opinion were lucky we have the board we have. All this speculation by telecrap is to destabilise the club started with Mad Monday as we all know that was a set up.
Paul Kent and his cronies have a mission and i hope those bastards are reading this because they are all nothing but slime. No other club is spoken about its board and management by the dt other than the dogs. If we all go back to the coffs harbour crap how we were battered everyday by the Telecrap good people lost their jobs at the dogs because of the bullshit and lies and then no charges laid.
Then dib joined the board and we were angels with the telecrap till he was thrown out. The only thing telecrap is good for is the crosswords puzzles
They probably even get the crosswords wrong!
Appropriate how the Terrorgraph’s parent company is News Limited. They certainly print very limited news!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'd believe Kent over Rothfield, Wiedler, the Mole and The Lurker, albeit that's not the greatest endorsement ever.

Brent Read, Pete Badel, and Michael Chammas are the three blokes who have pretty decent strike rates and are normally on the money.

Chammas was one of few who reported the DWZ signing that nobody saw coming.
I’d add Andrew Webster to that list. Not the same organisation, but as far as rugby league journalists with any credibility go...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If they had passion for the club they wouldn't make stupid decisions like extending Pays contract.
IMHO it wasn't a stupid decision, we needed (and still need) stability if we are to attract players for next season. It was sound judgement and it has demonstrably worked, we have DWZ (for this year and next) and Stimson (from next year).

Go Dogs

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Gould has fuck all to do with it. It was between Cowboys, Tigers and Dogs. He didn’t want to leave Sydney and Tigers couldn’t free up enough cap.
You are right, DWZ didn't want to leave Sydney. Tigers were struggling as they wanted to release Packer to Panthers but Panthers did the ol "thanks but no thanks.. we are going in another direction".

Tigers were then trying to shift Reynolds or other players, but nobody was biting.

DWZ spoke to Gould for his thoughts, and Gould recommended he sign with the Dogs.

As to if that was the reason that got him over the line, who knows. DWZ was keen to get the deal done and dusted and move on (and Goulds involvement was why literally only one journo knew what was going on).

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury should spend salary cap wealth on Manly’s Jake and Tom Trbojevic

If Latrell Mitchell is worth a million dollars a season to Canterbury, the value of Jake and Tom Trbojevic keeps on climbing.

The Bulldogs got into something of a fractious fight last week at Belmore.

A new talent scout is soon to arrive and in another conversation, which is closely related, board member Chris Anderson and recruitment boss Mark Hughes didn’t exactly see it the same way.

The pressure at Canterbury is on the rise.

The new board needs to make an impact beyond blaming the previous board, or the previous coach, or the previous chief executive, and needs to show something with that $8.5 million war chest everybody keeps hearing about.

The logical choices are the Trbojevic brothers, for many reasons.

Their talents are undeniable. Jake was man of the match in NSW’s win on Sunday night and Tom scored three tries to finish a narrow second for best on ground.

Some years back, former Canterbury recruitment boss Noel Cleal was telling a guy who was interested what he looked for in a player.

He looked for the Ss, he said. Size, speed, skill, stamina.

Add to that two more traits, which are increasingly necessary in the modern game. Character and attitude.

In an era where salary cap management is as much dark art as science, this is where the greatest gains can be made.

Some players have influence beyond their talents.

The talk out of the NSW camp from Origins I and II was of the influence James Maloney and Wade Graham had when they went into camp.

They immediately changed the squad’s entire dynamic.

There was something about both, a confidence and knowledge, that teammates found reassuring. It also seemed to be what was missing from Queensland.

Mitchell brings a similar confidence at times for the Roosters. When challenged to perform, he responds.

Whether he could carry the role at Canterbury is a valid question, though.

Great players don’t necessarily make great leaders.

Greg Inglis was often heralded as a leader but always struggled with the role.

Souths tried to make him the leader but the crown sat uncomfortably, before and after he was named captain.

Inglis, we learned, was more often at his best once responsibility was removed. Only then was he freed to perform and did his influence spread among the team.

Arthur Beetson was the opposite. Beetson was never considered a leader in his early days.

It wasn’t until Jack Gibson, the Eastern Suburbs coach, spent time in America with San Francisco 49ers coach Dick Nolan that Beetson was considered.

Nolan gave Gibson a questionnaire on leadership. Gibson had his Roosters players answer the questions and sent them back to America. He was stunned when the report came back.

Beetson was off the charts. The Americans said they never had anyone score so high.

Gibson asked Ron Massey what they should do.

“Well, if you’re going to go to the trouble …” Massey said.

Beetson was captain

Mitchell is still maturing and might one day become a tremendous leader, but it’s a role he lacks the consistency for at the moment, which should make Canterbury wary.

Jake Trbojevic is already a leader. It is born into him.

It comes through strong values and strength of character, traits learned well before he made it to the NRL.

On spare weekends, Trbojevic is often found hanging around the local footy, playing lazy guitar.

For a club struggling to rediscover its culture, Trbojevic not only brings impact on the field but off it as well.

The Bulldogs could do a lot worse than poach both Trbojevics, comfortable in the club they could build around them.

The irony is that what Canterbury need is what makes Manly confident they will retain them.

They are entrenched in the Manly community, so ingrained that few could see them ever leaving.

If the Sea Eagles are vulnerable it’s because they have no chief executive, while owner and chairman Scott Penn lives in New York chasing another life.

On top of that, captain Daly Cherry-Evans is already on a million-dollar-plus contract that is tied to a percentage of the salary cap.

So what if Manly can afford one brother and not the other?

To carry all three would mean close to a third of the salary cap invested in three players.

This is where the Sea Eagles’ greatest asset might be coach Des Hasler.

Often an easy target for the troubles at Canterbury, Hasler understands the dark art of roster management better than just about everybody.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...c/news-story/19df3493726cde846dde0c9644c5f637

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Often an easy target for the troubles at Canterbury, Hasler understands the dark art of roster management better than just about everybody.
Anyone that thinks **** doesn't have a agenda is kidding themselves look at that last sentence!