The Consolidated Cricket Thread

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To be honest I think this has blown out of proportion.

What happens when India, South Africa and England ball tamper with either raising the seam or rubbing lozenges on it. This is like that but to a more extreme.

Only difference is when others do it they never claim responsibility. Atleast all involved came out and admitted it instead of saying it was an accident.

Ok using sandpaper is more intentional. But when players throw balls back from the boundary short to hit the pitch it’s more or less the same thing and isn’t in the spirit of the game. So we shouldn’t pretend it’s the first time this has happened.

Back in the day players would rub balls on their zipper “accidentally”. What difference is pulling sand paper out compared to rubbing it on zippers? Besides saying whoops it was an accident and never owning up to it.

Not the best look for the game but let’s not make it out to be the biggest scandal ever. At the end of the day running up to a dismissed batsmen and bumping into them is a worst look for the game and there was very minimal consequence for that. The guy ended up playing anyway.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
By the way no condoning what they did it was wrong. And not defending smith and bandcroft both were very poor and unsportsmanlike in their behaviour.

But when you have a flat pitch with no movement and nothing for the bowlers it makes sense you need to find an advantage. Especially when your batting line up is so frail.

Both players should be suspended. But I have no respect for the English and South African teams of the past that rub sugar lollies on the balls too, as a way of inducing swing.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’ve always felt we play the game with more honesty than others, but that has been shattered today.
We’re not as bad as others......we’re worse.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

What happens when India, South Africa and England ball tamper with either raising the seam or rubbing lozenges on it. This is like that but to a more extreme.

Only difference is when others do it they never claim responsibility. Atleast all involved came out and admitted it instead of saying it was an accident.

Ok using sandpaper is more intentional. But when players throw balls back from the boundary short to hit the pitch it’s more or less the same thing and isn’t in the spirit of the game. So we shouldn’t pretend it’s the first time this has happened.

Back in the day players would rub balls on their zipper “accidentally”. What difference is pulling sand paper out compared to rubbing it on zippers? Besides saying whoops it was an accident and never owning up to it.

Not the best look for the game but let’s not make it out to be the biggest scandal ever. At the end of the day running up to a dismissed batsmen and bumping into them is a worst look for the game and there was very minimal consequence for that. The guy ended up playing anyway.
There is so much hyperbole around this incident at the moment.

The Saffas are rightly being fairly quiet on this given their own cheating history, including on our last tour there.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
By the way no condoning what they did it was wrong. And not defending smith and bandcroft both were very poor and unsportsmanlike in their behaviour.

But when you have a flat pitch with no movement and nothing for the bowlers it makes sense you need to find an advantage. Especially when your batting line up is so frail.

Both players should be suspended. But I have no respect for the English and South African teams of the past that rub sugar lollies on the balls too, as a way of inducing swing.
This was not a flat pitch with no movement and nothing for the bowlers, look at the two first innings scores. The highest ever run chase at this ground is in the low 300's, it is a fine place to bowl at.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Obviously you have some evidence, then show it. In this country we are innocent until proven otherwise (or unless @Gotenks says you are guilty of something as he knows all!)
Evidence isn't required. He's the coach and if he didn't know then fuck him. If he knew then also fuck him. I'm certain he knew, so fuck him. Basically fuck him...not in a sexual way.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Evidence isn't required. He's the coach and if he didn't know then fuck him. If he knew then also fuck him. I'm certain he knew, so fuck him. Basically fuck him...not in a sexual way.
You are certainly the shoot first ask questions later type aren't you? You would like the laws in Thailand where you are guilty & have to prove your innocence.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Correct everybody does it at all grades of cricket:-
Using sonething to lift the seem.
Something extra to polish up the shinny side.
Using whatever to rough up the othet side.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This was not a flat pitch with no movement and nothing for the bowlers, look at the two first innings scores. The highest ever run chase at this ground is in the low 300's, it is a fine place to bowl at.
Yeh I will agree it’s not the worst pitch this time. I was speaking more in general how bowlers have no advantage so of course all teams (not just Australia) take fair sportsmanship to the edge in terms of pushing the boundary (either with bounce throws, or ball tampering, or coating the ball with sugar lollies)

This was very blatant and very deliberate and very stupid and rightfully they got caught.

I guess the shock was I, maybe with the rest of Australia were naive to think others do it but not us. So we are more disappointed the lengths the team goes to.

End of the day Australia pretty much lost the game the first innings and then our bowling attack couldn’t roll SAF to chase 300. We don’t have batting side capable of batting under pressure and we don’t have a team that can have consistent top and middle order partnerships. So this incident won’t have a bearing on the result because Australia was behind from early on.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You are certainly the shoot first ask questions later type aren't you? You would like the laws in Thailand where you are guilty & have to prove your innocence.
It's not a matter of being guilty or not, he simply failed in his role as coach and now our nation has been embarrassed. Him and Smith need to be dumped and we need to start over and develop a new team that doesn't sook and cheat.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Haha what a joke from the fucken assholes.

Easily the most hated sport team this side of the planet. Hypocrites to the max.

Would be awesome if they caught a private plane somewhere and it crashed, killing all of them and their families.

Perhaps then they can meet hughsie and say how fuck all changed after what happened to him.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Obviously you have some evidence, then show it. In this country we are innocent until proven otherwise (or unless says you are guilty of something as he knows all!)
So Darren Lehmann didn't notice that the leadership group weren't there at 'lunch'.

This wasn't just thought up at the lunch break.

If Lehmann didn't know that means he's not in charge. (so he has to go either way)

Makes the Aussies complaining about the crowd more laughable.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Haha what a joke from the fucken assholes.

Easily the most hated sport team this side of the planet. Hypocrites to the max.

Would be awesome if they caught a private plane somewhere and it crashed, killing all of them and their families.

Perhaps then they can meet hughsie and say how fuck all changed after what happened to him.
Jesus man, way too much hate, any chance you want to enlighten us why you hate our cricket team so much?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's the end of the world.

Malcolm Turnbull is in shock over this.

I am shocked he hasn't blamed Putin or Kim Jong-in for what happened.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So Darren Lehmann didn't notice that the leadership group weren't there at 'lunch'.

This wasn't just thought up at the lunch break.

If Lehmann didn't know that means he's not in charge. (so he has to go either way)

Makes the Aussies complaining about the crowd more laughable.
A coach's role in cricket is very different to say, league. Once a game is underway, the captain is running the show, not the coach.

I have no idea if Lehmann knew or Not, but it' entirely conceivable he had no idea tbh.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have no idea if Lehmann knew or Not, but it' entirely conceivable he had no idea tbh.
Have a look at the video of his reaction when they got caught.

IMO: He knew about it.