The Consolidated Cricket Thread

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
West Indies have been absolutely pathetic it is almost like they have come into this game expecting to be belted and that is exactly what is happening. Don't think australia have been brilliant it is just that West Indies have been terrible!!!

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scrap this test series. NZ vs AUS and W.I vs SRI will be better.

Dogandgunner

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow West Indies are sh**!! I hope no one has bought tickets for days 4 and 5 for any of the tests

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My original plan was to spend today watching cricket on the couch, but work keeps getting the way.

Every time I look down at my laptop to send an email or do some actual work, another wicket falls.

FFS WIndies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
what a waste of everyone's time this series will be

Dogandgunner

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pathetic Windies! could have at least got to the 4th day so i could watch some cricket on my day off.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone else watching the game? When should Australia declare?

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone else watching the game? When should Australia declare?

tbh, i didnt even realise when the series started and when it finished.

most pathetic/ boring start to the summer of cricket.

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Have any of you been watching the BBL? Top shelf.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Have any of you been watching the BBL? Top shelf.
I went to the game in Brisbane last night.

I mostly went as I'd never been to the Gabba, I'd missed the test, and I thought it might be a good way to introduce Mrs CroydonDog to the game.

I can see why it's popular with families and fringe cricket fans. It's cheap, there's a lot going on and its over in 3 hours.

My wife, whilst not really caring too much for the cricket, loved the buzz of the crowd and other goings on. Like the grumpy old bastard I am becoming, I just wished they would shut the effing PA off for 10 seconds. As soon as a ball finished music or some other shite boomed put of the speakers. Every frigging ball. I ended up with a headache.

Overall for me, I doubt I'll go back to a BBL game live.... give me a nice relaxing day at a test where there isn't someone screaming "day-ooo" every 2 seconds. Plus I don't find the cricket to be of good quality. The batsmen are trying to tonk everything which makes for a lot of poorly timed shots and mediocre bowling...

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I went to the game in Brisbane last night.

I mostly went as I'd never been to the Gabba, I'd missed the test, and I thought it might be a good way to introduce Mrs CroydonDog to the game.

I can see why it's popular with families and fringe cricket fans. It's cheap, there's a lot going on and its over in 3 hours.

My wife, whilst not really caring too much for the cricket, loved the buzz of the crowd and other goings on. Like the grumpy old bastard I am becoming, I just wished they would shut the effing PA off for 10 seconds. As soon as a ball finished music or some other shite boomed put of the speakers. Every frigging ball. I ended up with a headache.

Overall for me, I doubt I'll go back to a BBL game live.... give me a nice relaxing day at a test where there isn't someone screaming "day-ooo" every 2 seconds. Plus I don't find the cricket to be of good quality. The batsmen are trying to tonk everything which makes for a lot of poorly timed shots and mediocre bowling...
This pretty much sums up my feelings about Twenty20. Its gimmick riddled presentation ensures that it will always come across as a circus more so than a legit sporting event. A Twenty20
game's duration is also so brief that the full skill sets (with both bat and ball) that make the game so intriguing can't be fully showcased.

T20 is no substitute for good test cricket. This summer has been really depressing from a sporting POV ever since the kiwis left. I'm actually looking forward to the one dayers. They aren't test matches, but they do resemble the game I love a lot more than T20 does.

I mean imagine if Rugby League sevens or nines became so popular that people started saying the real game from which those bastardised forms derived is under threat.

Between the NRL's shoddy administration and the rise and rise of T20 I find these days I'm a lot less enthusiastic about sport than I used to be which is a bit sad.

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Gayle hype!

I think that a good test beats a good T20 any day for the record so the younger generation isn't all filthy slog lovers :P

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Gayle hype!

I think that a good test beats a good T20 any day for the record so the younger generation isn't all filthy slog lovers :P
All I'll say on the Gayle thing at this late hour is, he's lucky he didn't pinch her on the bum!

ok I'll elaborate a bit more...I think he said the wrong thing in the situation and it was disrespectful and tacky to say what he did on national (maybe even international, not sure about overseas broadcasting) TV. Also not only were they inappropriate in the context, but those were also some awful pick up lines...guess he found them on the back of a cereal box... I'm not surprised it received some backlash, but the extent of it has been disproportionate and a bit ridiculous I think. Calls to ban him from the BBL for life, or exile him to an island inhabited only by bears, or sentence him to a lifetime of playing only for the West Indies test team are a bit over the top IMO....

Good to hear Slick. You've always struck me as pretty sensible.... Not just saying it's the young generation either... It's multiple generations, families.... The turnstiles don't lie....but it isn't the game I love, so if it flourishes at test cricket's expense, I'm sad about that.

Still im convinced there is still plenty of interest in test cricket in Australia with the right opponents and marketing. Good test cricket is captivating stuff.../ but there are sadly only a few opponents that seem to draw a good gate for home test matches against us these days (England, India, South Africa, to a lesser extent New Zealand.... I'd love to host Pakistan soon as they are an exciting and improving team and think they could generate interest. Innovations like day night tests will generate interest.... Although I still think that pink ball needs a lot of work!

So all isn't lost!

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
All I'll say on the Gayle thing at this late hour is, he's lucky he didn't pinch her on the bum!

ok I'll elaborate a bit more...I think he said the wrong thing in the situation and it was disrespectful and tacky to say what he did on national (maybe even international, not sure about overseas broadcasting) TV. Also not only were they inappropriate in the context, but those were also some awful pick up lines...guess he found them on the back of a cereal box... I'm not surprised it received some backlash, but the extent of it has been disproportionate and a bit ridiculous I think. Calls to ban him from the BBL for life, or exile him to an island inhabited only by bears, or sentence him to a lifetime of playing only for the West Indies test team are a bit over the top IMO....

Good to hear Slick. You've always struck me as pretty sensible.... Not just saying it's the young generation either... It's multiple generations, families.... The turnstiles don't lie....but it isn't the game I love, so if it flourishes at test cricket's expense, I'm sad about that.

Still im convinced there is still plenty of interest in test cricket in Australia with the right opponents and marketing. Good test cricket is captivating stuff.../ but there are sadly only a few opponents that seem to draw a good gate for home test matches against us these days (England, India, South Africa, to a lesser extent New Zealand.... I'd love to host Pakistan soon as they are an exciting and improving team and think they could generate interest. Innovations like day night tests will generate interest.... Although I still think that pink ball needs a lot of work!

So all isn't lost!
Apparently the calls to ban him are cause he has been accused of exposing himself to one of the girls who worked for the thunder!!! But I agree with you the interview thing has been blown way out of proportion!!!

I love t20 but I still would pick a day of test cricket or an ODI over a t20

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
India lost that one, our bowling was horrific! Lucky Starc n co are missing otherwise this series could of been a white wash!