Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Where is it?

Is it possible to check if has had rain, i know the media and everyone else says it hasnt bit i wanna see
MB

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Weekly huh, im sure they'll say we used more than normal and say we had stuff all added to the Dam.

The Custard

I'm Batman.
Reaction score
Solution. Build a dam closer to the coast where we get ALL the rain. Somewhere near the northern Beaches.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Solution: Build a huge dam up in the tropics where it gets ****loads of rain each summer, where there is a much lower population, and build a pipeline down to Melbourne with the pipeline feeding off into all the other major towns and cities along the way including Sydney and Brisbane, so it will be able to top up whichever place needs it. If they spent money doing this, rather than just pissing around doing nothing, the problem would be no where near as bad as it is atm. It would also create thousands of jobs. It would be on the same scale as the Snowy Mountain scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drummer_boy05

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys its not that easy to just build a frikken damn on the coast lol!

This is the latest radar image. Some rain is getting in, not as much as the coast of course but yea...

dvsbastard

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never understood why they don't just offer free rain water tanks to all coastal households (since they already offer a rebate)... It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the amount they spend on those "save water" ad campaigns and it will be a lot more effective!

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solution: Build a huge dam up in the tropics where it gets ****loads of rain each summer, where there is a much lower population, and build a pipeline down to Melbourne with the pipeline feeding off into all the other major towns and cities along the way including Sydney and Brisbane, so it will be able to top up whichever place needs it. If they spent money doing this, rather than just pissing around doing nothing, the problem would be no where near as bad as it is atm. It would also create thousands of jobs. It would be on the same scale as the Snowy Mountain scheme.
dams are normally built where the natural topographic areas are suitbale to collect large amounts of water. thats why we have many out here as our "basin" is lower metters than sea level than say the coast is. you need very large amounts of areas. you will find the trpics are pretty mountainous areas....water just wouldnt collect. AND....think about the rain forests dammit if you took their water away :p

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have never understood why they don't just offer free rain water tanks to all coastal households (since they already offer a rebate)... It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the amount they spend on those "save water" ad campaigns and it will be a lot more effective!
A few years ago My Parents and My Sister applied for a tank and were rejected.
WHY? The Bankstown and Campbelltown Council said they were an eyesore and they were not allowed to install one.

NOW, They are wanting is to install one, stupid

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
dams are normally built where the natural topographic areas are suitbale to collect large amounts of water. thats why we have many out here as our "basin" is lower metters than sea level than say the coast is. you need very large amounts of areas. you will find the trpics are pretty mountainous areas....water just wouldnt collect. AND....think about the rain forests dammit if you took their water away :p
There's heaps of areas suitable across the whole top end. Dam up the valleys around the bottom of those mountains and you have a dam! ;)

I agree with DVS as well though. All these add campaigns are a waste of money. If they spent that money on giving away tanks starting off with people that can least afford it, it would go a long way to easing the problem. To install a 5000L tanks costs around $2500 by the time you include delivery, installation and a pump, plus a little more for plumbing if it is to be connected to a toilet or washing machine. The rebate hardly covers ****:

Tank Size Rebate
2,000 - 3,999
litres - $150 tank rebate
- plus $300* if a toilet and/or washing machine is connected to the rainwater tank
4,000 - 6,999
litres - $400 tank rebate
- plus $300* if a toilet and/or washing machine is connected to the rainwater tank
7,000 +
litres - $500 tank rebate

You will get $700 back after spending around $2500-$3000. Not much incentive really.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
because that will be asking the government to use logical thinking
we cant have that now can we?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
around 16mm of rain droppped in on the dam today...

not bad i spose...

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I live only 20 minutes away from the dam and it has been pissing down around here non stop all day

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What does 16mm equate to .0006 mm

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
25mm at my place today so far, 35 from yesterday until this morning = 60mm so far. The creeks and drains near me are getting pretty high. Its absolutely pissing down atm.

wyongguy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
there's been a fair bit of rain at the central coasts main dam at mangrove mountain, amd our over two are overflowing apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.