The carrot or the stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
I've always been a carrot sort of person. A firm believer in positivity. I try to live by this rule. It's hard and I don't always succeed. I was brought with a half empty glass to old habits die hard.

Des and his "motivational" entourage are very much carrot types as we all know. This a team of coaches and life coach that have bred positivity into our side and got us to 2 grand finals in 3 years so the carrot definitely works.

On the other hand we have Grandpa Wayne. Have a bad game or 2 and he'll hang you out to dry in front of the media and bench your ass. See exhibit A. Sam Thaiday. How's he going now? Gangbusters in case you didn't know. Bennett lit the proverbial fire under his ass and Sam is flying gain.

Hodges was on MMM the other day praising Bennett's style saying that's how he gets the best out of his players. He also went onto mention that their (Broncos) mediocre form over the past few years was due to the fact that all the players knew they had a spot in the team even if they played poorly. Is this what our team has also come to expect? I think we all know it is.

We all know what Des has achieved through not dropping players and always sticking up for them even though everyone can see they are under performing. My question is which is the right method? What are your experiences in life and in sport with certain coaches and life coaches and your achievements? Are we on the right track?

Write.

Last edited by a moderator:

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Certain people react differently, I know tough love works for some while others are better with positivity and encouragement.

Des hasnt had much of a problem putting backs into nsw cup, but it seems you have to be injured to be sent there and lose your spot. Rona did get put over thompson and we let go of Ennis in favour of Lichaa. Mbye is also looming over reynolds and will most likely take his spot if reynolds doesn't improve.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened in Newcastle then? It's easy to say Wayne's theory works when they are winning. Wait until they hit a rough patch.

I prefer the Hasler approach based on recent 'success'... The thing with Hasler is he likes to have a team he chooses in round 1 throughout the entire year with minimal changes, even if particular players are like busted ass holes for the majority. He's quite relentless with his formula and that's why the players love him.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
like when Dymock came in and dropped JMoz to reggies....he came back in great form.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Im a stick kind of person.
I believe you find out more about a person in the tough times.
The way i see it, you have to "earn" your way.
Hodko and reynolds wouldve both been dropped, if i was in charge. Not so much as a punishment, but more to see their desire to return to first grade.

Fruitty Pebbles

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carrot approach...... To a point.

Players have bad games all the time, if you show the players you have faith in them you'd hope they'd return the favour by returning back to form, and if not, WELLLLLLL I'd take that F@kn Stick and beat the sh!t out of them for not appreciating the time and support I gave them when they needed it and thought they can take my kindness and loyalty for weakness (i.e. trex in years gone past and Trent and reynolds as of late.)

Status
Not open for further replies.