The Burton conundrum

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By all account we’ve made a sizeable offer to retain Matt Burton to be our long term five-eighth for the next five years. Like many others, I’m pleased that we’re locking our future into a bright young player. But there’s still a pressing issue with Burton that I don’t think we know the answer to yet, other than his kicking range (vertically and horizontally) what skill does he do so well that we are basically making him our marquee signing for the next five years.

Before everyone get’s their pitchforks out, I’d hate to lose this kid. He’s literally the most exciting player we’ve had since Ben Barba. His signature presents a bigger problem in my opinion; who do you pair him with? From what we’ve seen this season he doesn’t have the organisational ability to play the seven role and be paired with a Dylan Brown or Cody Walker type player. On the flip side, his running game isn’t on the same level as elite 5/8s such as Walker, Brown, Wighton, Luai and Munster. Is this kid’s left boot really the reason we’re about to give him close to a million dollar a season?

The weird thing is I’d still give it to him. We can’t afford to lose this kid. But I still don’t know who I’d want to be his partner in the halves. Everyone is crying out for a new 7 to organise the team but I’m not convinced of Burton’s ability to run at the defence. If he’s our primary attacking player we’re not gonna be a great attacking team.

And that’s the conundrum. How many halfbacks are there that can organise a team and be the primary attacking threat? Literally none. Maybe Hynes and Hughes but they’re locked up long term. Are we better off throwing Burton at 7 and betting that he can learn to organise a team while we pair him with a player who can be our focal point in attack? The three best 6s off contract next year are Walker, Munster and Brown. The three 7s are Hunt, Brooks and Hastings.

Let me know your opinions.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We should've taken Adam Reynolds when he was available. We should have taken Ben Hunt instead of letting him re-sign with dragons

We need an experienced head leading the team and mentoring our youngsters for a couple of seasons eg Penrith with James Maloney for Cleary.

I dont think Munster is what we need and I wouldn't be putting Burton as 7.

Maybe even look at bringing Sezer for a year or 2.

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should've taken Adam Reynolds when he was available. We should have taken Ben Hunt instead of letting him re-sign with dragons

We need an experienced head leading the team and mentoring our youngsters for a couple of seasons eg Penrith with James Maloney for Cleary.

I dont think Munster is what we need and I wouldn't be putting Burton as 7.

Maybe even look at bringing Sezer for a year or 2.
I 100% agree with your point on Reynolds. He was perfect for our situation. We gave the money to TPJ instead which was a big mistake.

Has Hunt re-signed?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Sign Munster (and Haas) to carry us and everything else will sort itself out. Burton isn't going to carry us or take a game by the scruff of the neck, he just doesn't have it in him. It doesn't need to be a genuine 7, look at Hynes. On Burton, I think he has a lot of potential as a 6/individual and the club can't afford to lose him which = Knights/Ponga situation.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I 100% agree with your point on Reynolds. He was perfect for our situation. We gave the money to TPJ instead which was a big mistake.

Has Hunt re-signed?
Reynolds is on mill plus third party in Brisbane. We overpaid for TPJ but his money does not even go close to getting Reynolds

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I and a few others got laughed at when we suggested chasing him.

Saying he is always injured. Compare how many games he and TPJ have played this year... and their contributions.

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is a great ball runner, proven by his play at Penrith both in the halves and centres. He needs an organising half, that’s all.
Fun fact, Burton played the Majority of his games in the halves at Penrith with Luai. He only played one game with Cleary in the halves, his debut. The rest were with Tyrone May(where they lost the majority of games they started in the halves together) and Luai (Won majority)

Burton games starting at half with Penrith:
1 game with Cleary (1 win 0 losses)
3 with May (1 win 2 losses)
7 with Luai (5 wins 1 draw 1 loss)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Imo Burton is better suited to fullback or playing a fullback type role in attack at this stage of his career because he just looks like he struggles big time when he's required to play into the line and create space for his outside men. This is the issue a lot of our players have and I'm sure our football is probably a contributing factor too. Maybe with better dh service, Kikau running better lines, better combinations, better go forward, etc he improves and it's not a big issue but personally I just feel he's more comfortable as an out and our ball runner working off space others create and only really being required to throw that final ball to the winger/centre. Munster followed a similar path in first grade, from centre to fullback and then eventually 5/8.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Guys have too much expectation on the kid. This is his first season playing 6. Let him work his way into the position. Gus said himself he expects Burton to take 2-3 seasons to hit his straps. Relax.
I really feel apart from developing a brief combo with JAC, this season is a waste as he is the whole spine by himself.

I think round 10 next year we will know if he is the real deal or not with at least Mahoney and hopefully a FB that can help him instead of being carried by him.

You can't learn your trade carrying deadwood on your back.

BUT he has been rubbish last 3 games....looks like he is just tired/over this season.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really feel apart from developing a brief combo with JAC, this season is a waste as he is the whole spine by himself.

I think round 10 next year we will know if he is the real deal or not with at least Mahoney and hopefully a FB that can help him instead of being carried by him.

You can't learn your trade carrying deadwood on your back.

BUT he has been rubbish last 3 games....looks like he is just tired/over this season.
Hard as a half to play with a dead shit in the halves, and a **** at hooker who can’t pass. He’d honestly get better service going to the drive thru at maccas. Get him behind a dominant forward pack, no coincidence his best games have been when our forwards muscle up.

This has been his first full season in grade, he hasn’t missed a game, made his origin debut. He’s literally carried us in some games. Mentally he’d be wrecked.

Give him next season with a competent half next to him who organises everything. And let him run the ball. Mahoneys service will benefit him and ensure he’s playing off the front foot. He’s nowhere near the finished product. We’ll get that in his last 2 years of his extended deal. He’ll benefit next year from our recruits.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hard as a half to play with a dead shit in the halves, and a **** at hooker who can’t pass. He’d honestly get better service going to the drive thru at maccas. Get him behind a dominant forward pack, no coincidence his best games have been when our forwards muscle up.

This has been his first full season in grade, he hasn’t missed a game, made his origin debut. He’s literally carried us in some games. Mentally he’d be wrecked.

Give him next season with a competent half next to him who organises everything. And let him run the ball. Mahoneys service will benefit him and ensure he’s playing off the front foot. He’s nowhere near the finished product. We’ll get that in his last 2 years of his extended deal. He’ll benefit next year from our recruits.
Good thing is you can see him develop into an elite half. I get angry and sad when he has shit games... but I'd rather have him than not have him in our team.