The Bulldogs 2024 style of play & Game plan ..

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I agree and thats why I mentioned that on size alone we are not too far off matching most sides and that if this is the case then a couple of our existing players need to stand up.

If we can match the size then it comes down to as you said heart and agression and thats a head thing. I believe the current team under the new culture is gaining heart so it comes down to having that agression. Pangai had the agression but not the heart.

So the question is who in the current Bulldogs side can offer that agression. I don't think its King or Knight. Maybe Hughes. I think Mariner maybe as he is big and has played agressive before. I also think Montgomery may be good as he has shown that heart and agression in the lower grades and I think Kautoga got in trouble for a pretty agressive hit in the world cup for Fiji, not that that is good but may show he has some beast in him. I know Kikau has it as well.
Well said, the mental stuff and effort is something our boys started picking up last year under Ciro but would have been magnified two-fold this preseason behind experienced players Critta, Mann, Turpin, Hutchinson, Curran, Salmon and Co. joining the club and showcasing what it takes to be an NRL footballer. Our young blokes had no one outside of a winger (The Fox) and Hooker (Reed) with that ability not to mention the severe lack of leadership on field where we often sh!t the bed upon momentum shifts.

Elite sport occupies the best athletes on the planet, the only thing that separates these guys is how they see the game, heart and mental toughness.

The advantage coaches like Cleary has is having players that naturally have heart and possess raw aggression- so all he really has to do is teach them how to see the game underpinned by his strategies.

It will be very interesting to see if our players are running hard, know their roles and attacking fluidly with bodies in motion… time will tell.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I've posted in other threads that I think the style of play will be "ala 2014 Blues"; mobile pack with big motors, large and agile centres and a focus on holding up the middle (instead of attacking it) and attacking the edges through fast ruck work. I think any middles we discover can be used in rotation without losing this game plan.

I can see any other way and it's not even outright kgs for me, it's the quality of the middles we're missing. Should our development players come good, then who knows what they'll do, but I'd be surprised if game speed isn't the number 1 focus, at least early in the season. With our squad, our edges are our obvious strength. I suspect they'll work to find players who can hold the middle versus panthers-style middles.

I really hope it works. If ever there was a time for it, it's the 6-again era

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've posted in other threads that I think the style of play will be "ala 2014 Blues"; mobile pack with big motors, large and agile centres and a focus on holding up the middle (instead of attacking it) and attacking the edges through fast ruck work. I think any middles we discover can be used in rotation without losing this game plan.

I can see any other way and it's not even outright kgs for me, it's the quality of the middles we're missing. Should our development players come good, then who knows what they'll do, but I'd be surprised if game speed isn't the number 1 focus, at least early in the season. With our squad, our edges are our obvious strength. I suspect they'll work to find players who can hold the middle versus panthers-style middles.

I really hope it works. If ever there was a time for it, it's the 6-again era
Interesting that you mention speed being the #1 focus, because that’s my thoughts as well.

Don’t think it’ll be running speed alone, I’m thinking speed of our line, speed in passing and putting the ball through the hands, speed in chasing our kicks.

When you look at the players they’ve bought you notice most are the type that can play a fast game ..

We started fast last year, but injuries and lack of fitness killed confidence, when I say we have a weak middle I factor in injuries, couple get hurt and we’re in trouble, I’m still hoping Gould can pick up at least 1, or maybe a loan might be the way to go.

But I definitely think the game plan will be to do everything faster which will tire out bigger opposition teams.

Just hope our spine are being trained around better game management .. stop trying to win the game themselves, learn to set up and manage the talent they have around them to win it.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correction, we had 0-5 not have 0-5…. Critta, Tracey & a fit Kiraz will get our sets off in better shape. Reed won’t have to overcompensate for a Rookie class giving him more time to think about his own role, Burton has one of the biggest boots in the game and Sexton/Hutchinson are reliable adding Reed led the 40/20’s for a while last season… Preston on our edge was our second or third top try scorer, someone was putting him into holes and expecting the same this season (more so with Kik’s crossing the chalk)…

The one I’m concerned with is the “everyone knows their job and bodies in motion in attacking sets. We were so far off the mark it was NSW Cup level stuff.. improved when Sexton joined late last season - be interesting to see how this year goes
Burton does have one of the biggest boots in the game. He doesn’t have control of it though. Burton should only be used as a backup kicker unless he gets some consistency in his kicking game. Focus on running and setting up his outside men.

He reads his own press on the “Burton Bomb” when it comes off he praised in overkill from the commentators. More often than not it doesn’t come off. He should only pull it out sparingly imo. His long kicks don’t seem to have a plan to them. Just kick the shit out of it. Where it lands nobody knows. Clearly and good kickers land it where they aim. Find the grass and allow the defenders time.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Burton does have one of the biggest boots in the game. He doesn’t have control of it though. Burton should only be used as a backup kicker unless he gets some consistency in his kicking game. Focus on running and setting up his outside men.

He reads his own press on the “Burton Bomb” when it comes off he praised in overkill from the commentators. More often than not it doesn’t come off. He should only pull it out sparingly imo. His long kicks don’t seem to have a plan to them. Just kick the shit out of it. Where it lands nobody knows. Clearly and good kickers land it where they aim. Find the grass and allow the defenders time.
Burton kicking from our own 40 and it barely crossing the 30 was painful to watch.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We need a ball playing lock. Rewind to Bulldog v Tiger at Belmore. We are lined up for a set play, King throws a pass behind and Tigers score picking up the loose ball almost length of the field.

When is the last time you have seen Yeo or Murray throw a shit pass that leads to the opposition scoring?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We need a ball playing lock. Rewind to Bulldog v Tiger at Belmore. We are lined up for a set play, King throws a pass behind and Tigers score picking up the loose ball almost length of the field.

When is the last time you have seen Yeo or Murray throw a shit pass that leads to the opposition scoring?
Curran will play that role

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Well said, the mental stuff and effort is something our boys started picking up last year under Ciro but would have been magnified two-fold this preseason behind experienced players Critta, Mann, Turpin, Hutchinson, Curran, Salmon and Co. joining the club and showcasing what it takes to be an NRL footballer. Our young blokes had no one outside of a winger (The Fox) and Hooker (Reed) with that ability not to mention the severe lack of leadership on field where we often sh!t the bed upon momentum shifts.

Elite sport occupies the best athletes on the planet, the only thing that separates these guys is how they see the game, heart and mental toughness.

The advantage coaches like Cleary has is having players that naturally have heart and possess raw aggression- so all he really has to do is teach them how to see the game underpinned by his strategies.

It will be very interesting to see if our players are running hard, know their roles and attacking fluidly with bodies in motion… time will tell.
Now that some are mentioning speed and fluidity I think that is our strength that could make up for lack of power up front. When you have forward momentum you don't always need big blokes and the defencive line is always moving backwards rather than holding. I think our versitility and speed may allow us to have more options all over the field with ball players where fast play the balls can open gaps.

In some ways I think I would like to see the Dogs create their own unique style and not be predictable. I know Gould is a crafty bloke and knows how to exploit situations with game tactics and I am sure between him, CC, Taylor and Potter they have a plan.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Now that some are mentioning speed and fluidity I think that is our strength that could make up for lack of power up front. When you have forward momentum you don't always need big blokes and the defencive line is always moving backwards rather than holding. I think our versitility and speed may allow us to have more options all over the field with ball players where fast play the balls can open gaps.

In some ways I think I would like to see the Dogs create their own unique style and not be predictable. I know Gould is a crafty bloke and knows how to exploit situations with game tactics and I am sure between him, CC, Taylor and Potter they have a plan.
Agree mate, whatever style Ciro is going for, it needs to align with our strength… speed and mobility.

We also need to move around our opponents bigger bodies to minimise their impact, this might be through second phase play or giving the ball some width shifting defensive lines, but the most important thing for us is our urgency in the ruck, speed of play the ball… if we can get forwards back pedalling through good ruck speed and target space behind the markers, defending middles will tire.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree mate, whatever style Ciro is going for, it needs to align with our strength… speed and mobility.

We also need to move around our opponents bigger bodies to minimise their impact, this might be through second phase play or giving the ball some width shifting defensive lines, but the most important thing for us is our urgency in the ruck, speed of play the ball… if we can get forwards back pedalling through good ruck speed and target space behind the markers, defending middles will tire.
I agree that's what we should try to do. We won't dominate the ruck through big hard talented middles, so urgency in all those little areas is very important. Also need to bring some ball playing through the middle - inside / outside balls like Dymock, Pay, J Smith and Britt were doing as a smaller pack than most teams. We haven't got quality like that now, or Baa backing up for the last pass, but I reckon that's the style we need with this squad. JAC needs to get into the middle more often for those opportunities.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We all know we’re weak up the middle .. if Gus doesn’t manage to pick up a prop or two come kick off …. what type of game plan are you expecting to see from the team this year ..

I’m hoping Jason Taylor can make a big statement for our attack, I hope he’s bought along a big book of set plays and some old school tricks of the trade that structured footy has taken out of the game.

Like him or not, Taylor was a very smart top half in his day and he’s had success at top level coaching for a lot of years …. I’m hoping he’s spending a lot of his time with our spine players, especially Burton Mahoney and Sexton and their kicking games.

I’m hoping to see Burton put the bomb away and use his big boot to accurately kick deep into the corners, use our speed men to get down there in numbers and keep ‘em down there ..

I’m hoping to see Burton, Mahoney and Sexton mix up their kicking game and always be thinking kicking to the corners, 40/20’s and repeat sets ..

Burton #6 … I’m hoping JT can teach him to be a better game manager, how to speed up and slow down the tempo of the game, how to tire the opposition while conserving our energy, smart football using his big boot to control metres and momentum, and of cause, use his running skills & set up Kik’s JAC and those around him, the bomb should only be used randomly and when we’re in front.

Sexton #7 … CC & JT should give him a licence to play eyes up footy … mix everything up and keep it random, run the ball, don’t run it this time and instead punch a kick through the line, another time put one over the top to our speed men, randomly put in a long one here and there, continually keep the opposition guessing.

Mahoney #9 … change it up and run the ball a bit more, continue to take the pressure off Burton by kicking to the corners and for 40/20’s, more trust in those around him in defence, it’s not his job to tackle every player for 80 minutes, also help to control the tempo.

Adding to that I’m hoping to see a FB and 13 that can chime in on the oppositions line and play ball like a half/be a big threat in attack.

Yes the middle is weak, but the team can compensate for that if they have a smart game plan, execute it well, and stick to it for 80 minutes.

If JT can bring with him a new exciting style of attack and CC can get them understanding and working together on his style of defensive structures, this team might just shock the hell out of a lot of people .. there’s no reason we can’t be scoring plenty of points through both long range try’s and plenty when on their line, but smart game management from our spine to compensate for weaknesses will be key to a successful 2024.
Canterbury have spoken to alot of players , Paramattas Makatoa has had a meeting with Phil however his spoken to plenty of players

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop the midfield bomb kicks cause they are embarrassing the club. 1 good one out of 15 kicks is pathetic at nrl level