The Bulldogs' 2020 season in review (Video)

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Robbie Farah and Brett Kimmorley break down the best and worst of the Canterbury Bulldogs' 2020 Telstra Premiership campaign and their predictions for 2021

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It seriously didn't feel like that was done at the end of the season or these guys just talk about stuff without keeping up to date.

Robbie talks about fixing up the front office, this is already done. Kimmorley talked about the job Dean Pay did and how we win games at the end of every season.

Only decent thing was Robbie said Lewis had been given enough time and Avo should be tried in the halves.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I know it was a joke, but Hodkinson (got us to a grand final) was a good halfback for us. He complemented Reynolds' game really well and we haven't had a genuine 7 until now with Flanagan (hopefully). What Hodkinson was on in the salary cap also allowed us to spend big in the forwards, I think he was very good value at the time. I think not replacing Hodkinson properly (Mbye as a 7... and Frawley...) was a big reason to our decline in 2017 (before the salary cap drama).

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know it was a joke, but Hodkinson (got us to a grand final) was a good halfback for us. He complemented Reynolds' game really well and we haven't had a genuine 7 until now with Flanagan (hopefully). What Hodkinson was on in the salary cap also allowed us to spend big in the forwards, I think he was very good value at the time. I think not replacing Hodkinson properly was a big reason to our decline in 2017 (before the salary cap drama).
It was a joke.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it was a joke, but Hodkinson (got us to a grand final) was a good halfback for us. He complemented Reynolds' game really well and we haven't had a genuine 7 until now with Flanagan (hopefully). What Hodkinson was on in the salary cap also allowed us to spend big in the forwards, I think he was very good value at the time. I think not replacing Hodkinson properly (Mbye as a 7... and Frawley...) was a big reason to our decline in 2017 (before the salary cap drama).
It was our forward pack that got us to the GF rather than our halves in 2014. Hodko's general kicking was poor, his kicks rarely found open space and didn't cover much ground. He had no running game, vision or creativity to set up the attack. He rarely put someone into a hole like Thurston and co. He was just good at field goals and goal kicks. The clubs that Hodko went to after he left the Dogs didn't go anywhere. Our halves have been our weakest link for nearly a decade which is a disgrace given the legacy of the club over several decades in Turvey, Baa, Shifty and Anasta.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It was our forward pack that got us to the GF rather than our halves in 2014. Hodko's general kicking was poor, his kicks rarely found open space and didn't cover much ground. He had no running game, vision or creativity to set up the attack. He rarely put someone into a hole like Thurston and co. He was just good at field goals and goal kicks. The clubs that Hodko went to after he left the Dogs didn't go anywhere. Our halves have been our weakest link for nearly a decade which is a disgrace given the legacy of the club over several decades in Turvey, Baa, Shifty and Anasta.
We had very good forwards, better than any other club, but I think you're downplaying Hodkinson a lot. He was also selected for NSW during this time and was the halfback when NSW broke the drought. I can't remember but he got a big money move to go to the Knights? Also almost everyone that left the dogs from that era sucked afterwards. Anyways Hodkinson was a genuine 7 and we had Reynolds to compliment him (running game, eyes up). It was a lesser version of Cleary and Luai you see today.

Jam

Scanlens Gum
Reaction score
Anasta lol in one word you just lost all credibility. Polly was better than Anasta and so was Ricky Stuart who was at the end of his career.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anasta lol in one word you just lost all credibility. Polly was better than Anasta and so was Ricky Stuart who was at the end of his career.
I'm no Anasta fan but give credit where it's due. If you think Anasta is crap watch our entire 2001 season again. Our team was regarded as bog average at the start of the season by the league "experts" but we finished 2nd before the playoffs and Anasta was one the key players if not the key player. He got injured and didn't play the sudden match against Cronulla that year. The dogs lost morale because they were heavily dependent on Anasta and Cronulla piled on 50+ against us from memory. Anasta is no Turvey or Baa but he's a country mile better than Hodko and Reynolds. As for Ricky Stuart being a better Dogs player than Anasta while they played here tell me how many premierhips did Ricky Stuart win at the Dogs? None. How many GF did Stuart play with the Dogs? None. Get your facts straight because you have no credibility.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had very good forwards, better than any other club, but I think you're downplaying Hodkinson a lot. He was also selected for NSW during this time and was the halfback when NSW broke the drought. I can't remember but he got a big money move to go to the Knights? Also almost everyone that left the dogs from that era sucked afterwards. Anyways Hodkinson was a genuine 7 and we had Reynolds to compliment him (running game, eyes up). It was a lesser version of Cleary and Luai you see today.
You can't be seriously saying that NSW won because of Hodko and Reynolds? NSW won off the back of some Hayne magic and the forwards dominating despite Gallen the ball hog. It was a lost decade for NSW because they kept on choosing Pearce of crap as HB because of his dad. NSW forwards held their own for much of that Qld dominance but the difference was their halves and hooker (JT, Cronk, Smith) were miles better than ours.
Pearce was such a dud that eventually they had to choose someone different and luckily NSW still had Hayne at his peak and the forwards. No halves combination is worse than Lewis and Wakeham but if we had kept Hodko and Reynolds we would still be near the bottom end of the ladder. To me a genuine complete no 7 is Turvey - running game, blistering speed, vision, passing, kicking and creativity. Then there are the 7's with great vision, passing, kicking and some sort of running game in that they can take on the line and put players in gaps - JT, Johns, Sterlo, DCE etc. The rest of the 7's are limited due to a weak running game and lack of vision/skill. Hodko falls into that last category. Luai is much better than Reynolds, he has a running and passing game to set up his outside backs. Reynolds can break the line at times but his passing game is terrible.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You can't be seriously saying that NSW won because of Hodko and Reynolds? NSW won off the back of some Hayne magic and the forwards dominating despite Gallen the ball hog. It was a lost decade for NSW because they kept on choosing Pearce of crap as HB because of his dad. NSW forwards held their own for much of that Qld dominance but the difference was their halves and hooker (JT, Cronk, Smith) were miles better than ours.
Pearce was such a dud that eventually they had to choose someone different and luckily NSW still had Hayne at his peak and the forwards. No halves combination is worse than Lewis and Wakeham but if we had kept Hodko and Reynolds we would still be near the bottom end of the ladder. To me a genuine complete no 7 is Turvey - running game, blistering speed, vision, passing, kicking and creativity. Then there are the 7's with great vision, passing, kicking and some sort of running game in that they can take on the line and put players in gaps - JT, Johns, Sterlo, DCE etc. The rest of the 7's are limited due to a weak running game and lack of vision/skill. Hodko falls into that last category. Luai is much better than Reynolds, he has a running and passing game to set up his outside backs. Reynolds can break the line at times but his passing game is terrible.
I didn't say we won because of Hodkinson and Reynolds but you need to stop downplaying how good they were. They were one of the best 6/7 combinations in the competition back then. Hodkinson being picked at halfback for NSW confirms that (Reynolds utility). JT, Cronk and Smith are future immortals if they're your benchmark that's pretty silly. A genuine 7 is a general that moves the team around the field and has a good long kicking game. Cronk is the best genuine 7 we've ever seen. Reynolds was starting to be injury prone (we got rid of him at the perfect time) and our downward trajectory started after not re-signing Hodkinson, which also dramatically impacted Reynolds game. They were a yin yang combination.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Was this filmed today because the ending made it seem like it was filmed while the Anderson were still around

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't say we won because of Hodkinson and Reynolds but you need to stop downplaying how good they were. They were one of the best 6/7 combinations in the competition back then. Hodkinson being picked at halfback for NSW confirms that (Reynolds utility). JT, Cronk and Smith are future immortals if they're your benchmark that's pretty silly. A genuine 7 is a general that moves the team around the field and has a good long kicking game. Cronk is the best genuine 7 we've ever seen.
>"Cronk is the best genuine 7 we've ever seen."
You mean Cronk is the best you've seen and not "we". Hodko did nothing when he went to Newcastle (was dropped to reserve grade), Cronulla and back to Manly. Likewise Reynolds did nothing and got dropped to reserves at the Tigers. That confirms my view. I stand by my comments that if we had top class halves (DCE) not necessarily "future immortals" in 2014 we would have won the GF. In fact if we swapped halves (Keary and Adam Reynolds) with Souths I believe we would have won the 2014 GF. The lack of class halves has cost this club dearly over the last decade going back to Sherwin's retirement.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't say we won because of Hodkinson and Reynolds but you need to stop downplaying how good they were. They were one of the best 6/7 combinations in the competition back then. Hodkinson being picked at halfback for NSW confirms that (Reynolds utility). JT, Cronk and Smith are future immortals if they're your benchmark that's pretty silly. A genuine 7 is a general that moves the team around the field and has a good long kicking game. Cronk is the best genuine 7 we've ever seen. Reynolds was starting to be injury prone (we got rid of him at the perfect time) and our downward trajectory started after not re-signing Hodkinson, which also dramatically impacted Reynolds game. They were a yin yang combination.
I disagree with your definition of a genuine 7. Yes the 7 is a general but that means setting up the strategy and formation especially in attack like the generals of old in battles. Positioning certain players in certain parts of the field, targetting specific opposition players, selecting which player to pass to and when, knowing when to pass/kick etc. Commentators call this "creativity" and I saw Hodko do very little of that. In fact the league "experts" in the media often called Hodko "not the most creative half" because he simply wasn't. All he did was generic passes to a player who ran into a defender. He often put team mates into opposition faces not spaces. During Hodko's era the best halves were all in Qld - Thurston, Cronk, DCE etc. NSW halves were largely sh#thouse which is why Pearce of Crap was given so many chances despite his repeated failures so being selected as NSW half during that time did not necessarily mean you are an elite half of the comp. The halves continue to be a weakness at Origin for NSW so it was no surprise that Qld won this year with DCE and Munster. Manly let Hodko go to us because they had a HB far superior coming up - DCE.
A perfect example of the yin yang combination you mentioned would be Sterlo/Kenny. Sterlo had great vision, passing and kicking. He was slow as a snail but he put players into spaces. The running game was left to Kenny with his elusiveness and footwork.
To end off the reason why we have a "forwards playing as halves" mentality since 2012 was Des knew our halves were crap with no vision and creativity so in his mind he was left with no alternative but to use our forwards (Graham etal) as ball players.

Last edited:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
>"Cronk is the best genuine 7 we've ever seen."
You mean Cronk is the best you've seen and not "we". Hodko did nothing when he went to Newcastle (was dropped to reserve grade), Cronulla and back to Manly. Likewise Reynolds did nothing and got dropped to reserves at the Tigers. That confirms my view. I stand by my comments that if we had top class halves (DCE) not necessarily "future immortals" in 2014 we would have won the GF. In fact if we swapped halves (Keary and Adam Reynolds) with Souths I believe we would have won the 2014 GF. The lack of class halves has cost this club dearly over the last decade going back to Sherwin's retirement.
100% quality halves is what we have lacked for a very long time. I’d even go back as far as the 2012 GF. Keating and Reynolds were never going to steer us to a premiership. And the same with 2014, our halves were no match for Adam Reynolds and Keary, but I do believe had Kasiano and Ennis played in that GF and if we didn’t have so many players carrying injuries into that final game(Hodko was playing on one leg) we would of had a chance to pull it off. Souths were primed and we were just busted physically. We were ripe for the picking.