• 40m gain from touch finder...

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Should the 40/20 rule be adjusted to 40m kick rule?... ie any touch finding kick gaining 40m be rewarded (eg 30/30)...
May lead to too many replays/ref errors through no lines to adjudicate to/by...

Last edited:

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
no mate anyone can kick 40 metres, the art is finding touch
It would still have to find the sideline...
It would be interesting though, it would prob create more opportunity with ball in hand, as wingers would/may need to drop back earlier...
Imagine cronk or smith on the 3rd kicking a 50/10...
Have edited initial post to avoid confusion, thank you... :grinning:

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it would cause more delays than I want to see, and it would possibly give rise to massive changes in the game. If I were a coach and that rule came in I know it could be exploited easily.

Every player in my squad would be practicing their long kicks and those with poor kicking skills would be trained in a blocking role. If the tactic worked my forwards would do bugger all running, the opposition would have to reset their defensive structure to leave both wingers permanently camped at the back waiting for kicks which would result in lots of open space out wide.

Even with the current rule I'd be looking to exploit the 40/20 more than any team currently does.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Leave it we already have 4 million rules to follow lol

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Leave it we already have 4 million rules to follow lol
The number of rules don't matter, if it makes the game better (and not saying the idea in the thread will), do it...
Most rules implemented in recent times though, have unfortunately detracted from the spectacle...
Its prob a logic thing for me... Why should a 40/20 kick hold more value than a 30/30?...

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
The number of rules don't matter, if it makes the game better (and not saying the idea in the thread will), do it...
Most rules implemented in recent times though, have unfortunately detracted from the spectacle...
Its prob a logic thing for me... Why should a 40/20 kick hold more value than a 30/30?...
I just think the game will turn into a kicking game.

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I just think the game will turn into a kicking game.
Fair call... Though with defending wingers hanging back, it may encourage more footy from your own end, instead of one up one out...
And I think the risk of stuffing up a 20/40 would negate a potential kickathon...
The last thing i want to see is the game 'unionfied'...

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It shouldn't hold more value, but it opens a can of worms that could add more ballet to a gladiator sport. I see and agree with your logic, but foresee it having a negative impact on fast flowing aggressive football.

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It shouldn't hold more value, but it opens a can of worms that could add more ballet to a gladiator sport. I see and agree with your logic, but foresee it having a negative impact on fast flowing aggressive football.
So this is what it feels like to be cloistered in NRL headquarters when reviewing rules... Robust debate, the games best interests at heart, no club agendas, no knee jerk reaction to negative press...
Shall we take the NRLs default position and just do whatever politis tells us... ;)
What time does the catered lunch arrive?...

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So this is what it feels like to be cloistered in NRL headquarters when reviewing rules... Robust debate, the games best interests at heart, no club agendas, no knee jerk reaction to negative press...
Shall we take the NRLs default position and just do whatever politis tells us... ;)
What time does the catered lunch arrive?...
I think it feels different personally. I'm guessing the robust debate is about what is for lunch and how do we justify pay rises that dwarf player salaries.

Last order of business would be to find something to change that will soften the game adv bcf show that they're going something.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No way.

Turns a high risk-high reward situation into a low risk-high reward situation. Terrible idea.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Whilst I don't think a new rule should be dismissed just because there are enough rules, I think the sheer number of different rules can affect the quality of refereeing. Its a fast sport and they need to make decisions whilst keeping the entire rule book in their head, with millions watching.

With regards to the original post, I'm going to say a "no". Of all the new rule tinkering, I kind of like the 40/20 as it is for some reason.

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No way.

Turns a high risk-high reward situation into a low risk-high reward situation. Terrible idea.
Not shit stirring... I think there is plenty of risk involved in kicking from within your own 20 to gain 40... If u stuff it up the opposition are already in your half on tackle one...
I think it may actually see more ball movement through the hannds if defending wingers are forced to drop back earlier in the tackle count.
Not even saying I'm for the idea, just a topic thrown out there in the off season... Better than the constant everyone and everything is shit threads....

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not shit stirring... I think there is plenty of risk involved in kicking from within your own 20 to gain 40... If u stuff it up the opposition are already in your half on tackle one...
I think it may actually see more ball movement through the hannds if defending wingers are forced to drop back earlier in the tackle count.
Not even saying I'm for the idea, just a topic thrown out there in the off season... Better than the constant everyone and everything is shit threads....
It gives an easy option out for teams that are deep in their end. Where else are they going to kick it honestly? they only have one option and that is downfield as far as they can, your suggestion will be rewarding the team that is getting pumped and punishing the team that is putting work in to keep the opposition down the end.

Also, imagine how many will be kicked from halfway / 55m. It gives too much of an upper hand to that team.

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It gives an easy option out for teams that are deep in their end. Where else are they going to kick it honestly? they only have one option and that is downfield as far as they can, your suggestion will be rewarding the team that is getting pumped and punishing the team that is putting work in to keep the opposition down the end.

Also, imagine how many will be kicked from halfway / 55m. It gives too much of an upper hand to that team.
Fair call... Great explanation of ur first reply... :grinning:

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
because 30/30 has an extra 10m of sideline to aim at

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Devils advocate... 30/30 just an example, couldve just easily have said 50/10... Then too close to in goal though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.