Opinion The 1%ers don't exist - why we consistently lose against good and bad sides

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Our 1% plays require 99% effort lol.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
When you have a player of 3 NRL game experience being your better performer , you know you have issues.

You are absolutely correct , it’s the 1% we that make a difference in the overall scheme of things .

Attacking kicks was pathetic - park footy standard
Support play -non existent
Kick chase - rubbish
Game awareness and management - we don’t have the footy IQ to measure this unfortunately .

All these effort areas , along with our weak roster and poor form contribute to the results.

Mental application is just important as technical application

The foxx definitely was not tuned in and one of the biggest criticsm I have with burton is he’s mental aptitude

The good news is this is very coachable

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything you said is pretty much spot on. I put it down to those two softest of soft tries on our line late in second half that killed us, that was the laziest defence I've ever seen. I could see it from where I was sitting that we had massive holes on our line and in the middle around the posts, I knew they were going over.
The Ben Hunt try killed us as well. That was Waddell. The 2 in the second half were Thompson and Jackson (from what I saw anyway).

That just comes down to desire. I cant see us turning that around this year. We might snag a win or 2 but the opposition is going to have to be pretty poor.

The one positive thing is that at least we are scoring points. In previous years when we were down by 12 points the game was over. They even mentioned in commentary on the weekend that we cant give away starts because we dont have enough points in us to claw back a deficit. We have done exactly that in the past 2 weeks so at least that part has changed.

Both times we just left ourselves too much work due to inept first half performances. Its quiet strange. Our attack has improved since Baz left but our defence has gone to shit

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s funny because Bellamy and Maguire are very similar in the sense that they are tough coaches . Bellamy has the respect of players whereas Maguire is in a similar situation to our club. The players just don’t want to respond and play. There is not accountability . There is no being ashamed of the coach or fans.

Potter to me is too soft. He can’t even raise his voice . We really need someone who will rip into the playing group

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those "1%ers" are worth a lot more than 1% towards a loss.

On-line defence where the A-defender leaves his mark to move to the other side of the PTB marker, the B defender is too lazy to even be there and the C defender is Dufty...no team can win games like that.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The small things are being neglected, team binding is non existent then add the lack of set plays, coaching up until Potter and lacking quality on the field where it matters.

Besides needing massive change on the field we also need to get experts in about morale and character building as well as team bonding.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
"Metres, tackles, tries, goals etc."

How on earth do you rate the numerous stats? Is a try worth 5 tackles, or is it 10?

Who does the rating? The Chooks sombrero auditor?

How do you manage to a fixed Salary Cap if a player progresses during the year, how much space do you leave? What if a player regresses and you have Cap space left?

Are we taking multiple year contracts here? So the player wouldn't know from one year to the next how much he was going to get paid. It's OK for you and me, we have 40/50 year earning lives, a professional sportsman might have 10 years if he is lucky. What happens when a player gets a long term injury, like RFM, through no fault of his own he has next to zero stats for a year. So he get's paid minimum rate, how does he pay his mortgage which is based on the value of the multi year contract he signed?

Personally I can't honestly say that we should pay JAC less because he hasn't scored as many tries with us. That's hardly his fault, he's a winger he succeeds or fails mostly based on what service he gets.

Worst of all I can see stat padders (something Tolman was often accused of) that hog the ball instead of passing it. Trying to increase their pay, it's just forcing the "I" into "TEAM". Players would be complaining to the Coaches about their fellow players unfairly causing their salary to drop. Team harmony, out the window.

Always a Bulldog
Like I said, I don’t suggest it’s an easy model to put together and by no means do I think I have all the answers, but I think there needs to be a more incentive based earnings system. Let’s say a Waddell or Allan (granted the latter was injured for a long stretch) is taking between $200-350k annually. Most people would love that sort of annual income and once you’ve got it what’s the incentive to keep going hard? Rep selection? Everyone seems to have a better final contract year (eg: Adam Elliott 2020) but I’d like to see players scrapping for everything every year. I’ve heard the arguments that footy players have short careers and need to maximise their earnings etc - but that doesn’t mean it needs to be done by guaranteed bloated salaries - there has to be another way.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Potter to me is too soft. He can’t even raise his voice . We really need someone who will rip into the playing group
You obviously don't know Mick Potter very well, he gets his meaning across very well. With or without raising his voice, he has this steely stare that burns a whole right through you.

Always a Bulldog

Reactions: DDR

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Like I said, I don’t suggest it’s an easy model to put together and by no means do I think I have all the answers, but I think there needs to be a more incentive based earnings system. Let’s say a Waddell or Allan (granted the latter was injured for a long stretch) is taking between $200-350k annually. Most people would love that sort of annual income and once you’ve got it what’s the incentive to keep going hard? Rep selection? Everyone seems to have a better final contract year (eg: Adam Elliott 2020) but I’d like to see players scrapping for everything every year. I’ve heard the arguments that footy players have short careers and need to maximise their earnings etc - but that doesn’t mean it needs to be done by guaranteed bloated salaries - there has to be another way.
I spent some time with a few players and managers last week (on other matters) and everyone of them complains but they don't have any answers.

Always a Bulldog

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I spent some time with a few players and managers last week (on other matters) and everyone of them complains but they don't have any answers.
Complaining about what - not earning enough??

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The dogs & all other teams are going to make errors.
Sometimes errors can be an easy villain to blame. It's what you do after the errors that count. Letting is three soft tries near the post has nothing to do with errors. Looking at the NRL sites, more teams with the higher error count, won this week.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting aside the coach and fitness tactics etc, the attitude also comes onto the captain to get the team focused. To me, Jacko is also the problem in not getting in the teams faces and making them accountable like a James Graham would have ..

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Everything you said is pretty much spot on. I put it down to those two softest of soft tries on our line late in second half that killed us, that was the laziest defence I've ever seen. I could see it from where I was sitting that we had massive holes on our line and in the middle around the posts, I knew they were going over.
the last try was shocking, straight through ZDC and Thompson, no desperation or line speed what so ever.
Burton lost the game for us in the first half imo, you just cant give the ball back on 4 occasions

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another frustrating afternoon. Certainly the one percenterslet themselves down. Burton kicking out on the full and dropped balls. Dear oh dear. Cannot win when a team does that. But two other issues were Also apparent against St Merge. First the difference in passing speed was startling by comparison. Saints passed the ball along the line at speed. By comparison the Dogs passing was pedestrian rarely getting to outside centre and winger. The hung on to the ball too long and ran sideways allowing the St Merge defenders to cut off the attack. And more often the ball ended up instead being passed to a plodding forward. Second issue is their tackling technique. Just woeful.