Terry Lamb statue outside of Belmore

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
St George recognise there retired former greats with plaques around Kogarah Oval - it is well done - similar would work well at Belmore

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still can’t believe Steven Folkes is not considered as the greatest Bulldog. Firstly, he’s a home grown local boy, a Canterbury Junior who only ever played for the dogs in Australian Rugby league. 308 club games for the dogs. Played in 6 Grand Finals, 4 Premierships as a player. Also was a trainer, conditioner and lower grade coach during the two minor premiership years in 93 and 94 and the GF win in 95. Coached the dogs to multiple final series appearances, including two GF’s(98,04) and 1 premiership. Has won 5 FG premierships as player or coach. This over a period of 40 years service to the club. Was involved in a total of 10 GF’s in some capacity as either a player, coach, trainer or conditioner. Not to mention NSW state of origin representative and also played tests for Australia. Has to be the greatest Bulldog both on and off the field. When we talk about the greatest on the field only then it has to be Terry Lamb. My personal favorite is Steve Mortimer. But the greatest Bulldog is Folksey RIP.
Think you're spot on when looking at it that way.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The vast majority of dogs fans who saw the full careers of both Turvey and Baa would say Turvey is the greatest. Without Turvey we don't even make the 79 GF, we don't win the 80 GF and unlikely to win the 85 GF.
If any statue is going to be built in Belmore it has to be Turvey.
You can say the same thing about Lamb though. Without Lamb sticking around after all those players(Langmack, Farrar, Gillespie, Thomas, Alchin) leaving for Wests at the end of 1990 we wouldn't have collected two minor premierships 93,94 in a row and achieved our greatest premiership in 1995 making the GF and winning it from 6th spot, still to this day no team has done. Lamb was the chief cornerstone in rebuilding the team that won in 95. He carried the whole squad on his back. The way he helped develop those young players around him like Pay, Polly, Dymock, Gillies etc to become hardened 1st graders and premiership players is a reflection of Lamb as a leader and complete footballer. Even during the midst of the super league war and the turmoil inside our club with player defections midway through 95 he was able to bring the team together and infused them with confidence that they were never going to lose. Lamb did this at an age where most players had already retired from playing league at 35 years old. When Mortimer was 35 he'd been in retirement for 5 years. When they all bought into it, that 95 side was never going to be beaten by any team. It was the greatest final series and premiership win in the club's history by a long shot. To wipe through red hot Canberra and Brisbane teams full of internationals and then shut out Manly in the GF who had lost only 2 games all year is the reason why Terry Lamb is the greatest player on the field the club has ever seen. Mortimer is my favorite ever but Lamb was better on the field, and Folksey was the greatest Bulldog overall both on and off the field. Regardless if Folkes was given the coaching job by Bullfrog, he still had to coach and prove himself and in Folkesy's first year as FG coach Bullfrog was very sick with cancer and had withdrawn from running the club and making key decisions. Folkesy still managed to keep the coaching job for 8 years after Bullfrog passed.

Last edited:

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need a "Path of Heroes" heading towards Belmore.

As you approach the gates, statues of several club legends, as well as Willy Mason standing over ?? saying "fuck him", a statue of Mark O'Meley destroying Bryce Gibbs, and a new addition of Okunbor steamrolling Cameron Smith TWICE!

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Click here to sign the petition

350 first grades, 164 tries, a Dally M medal winner, 3 premierships and a 7-time five-eight of the year - Terry Lamb is undoubtedly the greatest Bulldog of all time and the greatest rugby league half I’ve ever seen.

They have built a statue of Wally Lewis in Brisbane, they're going to build one for Jonathon Thurston, other clubs have commemorated their greats, so the greatest bulldog of all time deserves a statue of his own, right?

A statue outside of the sacred Belmore Oval would be the perfect way to repay ‘Baa’ for everything he has done for the great club, as well as appealing to theyounger generation of NRL fans, who might not have heard of his name and haven’t fully appreciated the dedication and hard work he invested into the club.

Let’s all be honest, the Bulldogs haven’t had the greatest of seasons throughout the past few years. 2022 is the start of a new era for the mighty blue and white, and with the likes of Phil Gould, Josh Addo Carr, Matt Burton and Tevita Pangai Jr entering Belmore, a gesture that appreciates a player that truly demonstrated the spirits of what the Bulldogs are all about would be the perfect way to kick off a new era!

A permanent reminder of the glory days of Belmore would be the perfect setup for the soon-to-be glory days of the famous Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs!

Make sure to sign the petition and share it with your friends to ensure that the Bulldogs finally get back to premiership glory!

For those who want a recap of what exactly Terry Lamb did for the club, here you go:

350 first grade games, 164 tries, a Dally M medal winner, and a 7-time five-eighth of the year - the stats say it all. Whenever Terry Lamb was on the field, the team were almost certain that a win would come their way, for not only is renowned as the game's finest support player, but the mentality he would bring onto the pitch week in, week out. After the departure of Peter Tunks in 1990, Lamb was able to show this mentality even further when he became captain of the Bulldogs side until he retired in 1995. In that time span as captain, Lamb won the five-eighth of the year 3 times in a row, before winning another premiership in his final year, in an underdog Canterbury side which finished 6th.
While you’re at it. Build a second statue for Turvey as well and put them both each side so you walk between them on the way in.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can say the same thing about Lamb though. Without Lamb sticking around after all those players(Langmack, Farrar, Gillespie, Thomas, Alchin) leaving for Wests at the end of 1990 we wouldn't have collected two minor premierships 93,94 in a row and achieved our greatest premiership in 1995 making the GF and winning it from 6th spot, still to this day no team has done. Lamb was the chief cornerstone in rebuilding the team that won in 95. He carried the whole squad on his back. The way he helped develop those young players around him like Pay, Polly, Dymock, Gillies etc to become hardened 1st graders and premiership players is a reflection of Lamb as a leader and complete footballer. Even during the midst of the super league war and the turmoil inside our club with player defections midway through 95 he was able to bring the team together and infused them with confidence that they were never going to lose. Lamb did this at an age where most players had already retired from playing league at 35 years old. When Mortimer was 35 he'd been in retirement for 5 years. When they all bought into it, that 95 side was never going to be beaten by any team. It was the greatest final series and premiership win in the club's history by a long shot. To wipe through red hot Canberra and Brisbane teams full of internationals and then shut out Manly in the GF who had lost only 2 games all year is the reason why Terry Lamb is the greatest player on the field the club has ever seen. Mortimer is my favorite ever but Lamb was better on the field, and Folksey was the greatest Bulldog overall both on and off the field. Regardless if Folkes was given the coaching job by Bullfrog, he still had to coach and prove himself and in Folkesy's first year as FG coach Bullfrog was very sick with cancer and had withdrawn from running the club and making key decisions. Folkesy still managed to keep the coaching job for 8 years after Bullfrog passed.
>"When Mortimer was 35 he'd been in retirement for 5 years"
Peter Moore wanted to retain young Hagan as the long term HB. Mortimer could have easily played on after being offered big coin by Fulton at Manly and by the Riff but he chose to be loyal and to retire as a one club player.

>"Lamb was the chief cornerstone in rebuilding the team that won in 95. He carried the whole squad on his back"
A bit of exaggeration there. Lamb was no doubt the leader of the Dogs in the 95 team but he did NOT carry the whole squad on his back. Lamb's knees were shot by that stage and could barely train. Lamb's key role that year was his leadership on and off the field that lifted morale but on the field the key players that year were our Origin ball playing forwards Pay, Dymock and Smith. When those players, Mccracken and Dallas left in 96 our team even when Lamb returned was not competitive.

>"Mortimer is my favorite ever but Lamb was better on the field"
I disagree. In the words of "immortal" Bob Fulton who said on camera words to the effect "Mortimer is the greatest half I've ever seen and the SINGLE most important factor as to why the Bulldogs were so dominant in the 80's". Legendary league caller Frank Hyde who called the game for around 50 years or so also said "Mortimer is the greatest half I've ever seen".
In an interview in the 90's Lamb said "Mortimer is the greatest player I've ever played with or against". In an interview with Sterlo when asked why Lamb was such a great support player Lamb said "I knew which player to pass the ball, what their strength was and followed them in support". This is the key difference between Mortimer and Lamb.
Mortimer is the only player I've ever seen that was both a pure match winner AND a leader. Mortimer's incredible acceleration meant he could score solo tries from anywhere AND also run down opposition speedsters with his trademark cover tackles and save countless tries and his creativity, vision, passing and kicking meant he could set up tries from anywhere.
Lamb no doubt a great player himself but needed great talent around him for them to often create the line break to score tries as he lacked the acceleration to score solo tries.
The ONLY player in the halves to lead the Dogs to back to back GF wins is Mortimer.
IMO Mortimer is our greatest player by a fair margin, then Lamb our second greatest and then a huge distance to whoever is third.

>"our greatest premiership in 1995 making the GF and winning it from 6th spot, still to this day no team has done."
Yes our 95 GF was a great win but the 80 GF win broke a 42 year drought and Fulton's Easts were the favourites. By 95 the Dogs had over a decade of regular finals appearances and several GF wins so by that time regular success was instilled in the club. Without Mortimer we never make the 79 GF and we don't win the 80GF when he saved at least 4 tries with his cover tackles.
In 79 off the back of Mortimer's brilliant solo tries in the sudden death finals against Cronulla and Parra we fell short in the GF by 4 points and almost became the first side to win the GF from 5th place. We should have won that GF as Saint's first try was off a blatant forward pass that was even called by the Mossop but missed by the ref.

>"Folksey was the greatest Bulldog overall both on and off the field"
I disagree. Your definition of "greatest" appears to be years of service. My definition of "greatest" is the person's impact on the club in terms of sustained success and the person's performance as an individual and a team player. Folkes was part of the legendary forward pack and a hero of the club but it's the halves that have the greatest individual impact on the team. If Folkes didn't play in the 80's the Dogs would still have won those premierships given the quality of the forward pack and the halves.

>"Folkesy still managed to keep the coaching job for 8 years after Bullfrog passed."
A lot of that has to do with the nepotism of the club that has prevented the club moving forward for years. Folkes was replaced by Bullfrog's son and Kevin Moore would never have got the head coach job at another club. Usually when a head coach who was won a GF is on the market he would be inundated with offers from other NRL clubs who have not had recent success. Nobody offered Folkes a head coach role when he left the Dogs. Folkes was more of a hard nosed trainer than a master coach in the mould of Wok, Bennett, Bellamy, Gus, Robinson etc.

Last edited:

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Turvey and Lamb on either side of the entrance to Belmore. Immortalised forever. No one in Canterburys history deserves it more.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
>"When Mortimer was 35 he'd been in retirement for 5 years"
Peter Moore wanted to retain young Hagan as the long term HB. Mortimer could have easily played on after being offered big coin by Fulton at Manly and by the Riff but he chose to be loyal and to retire as a one club player.

>"Lamb was the chief cornerstone in rebuilding the team that won in 95. He carried the whole squad on his back"
A bit of exaggeration there. Lamb was no doubt the leader of the Dogs in the 95 team but he did NOT carry the whole squad on his back. Lamb's knees were shot by that stage and could barely train. Lamb's key role that year was his leadership on and off the field that lifted morale but on the field the key players that year were our Origin ball playing forwards Pay, Dymock and Smith. When those players, Mccracken and Dallas left in 96 our team even when Lamb returned was not competitive.

>"Mortimer is my favorite ever but Lamb was better on the field"
I disagree. In the words of "immortal" Bob Fulton who said on camera words to the effect "Mortimer is the greatest half I've ever seen and the SINGLE most important factor as to why the Bulldogs were so dominant in the 80's". Legendary league caller Frank Hyde who called the game for around 50 years or so also said "Mortimer is the greatest half I've ever seen".
In an interview in the 90's Lamb said "Mortimer is the greatest player I've ever played with or against". In an interview with Sterlo when asked why Lamb was such a great support player Lamb said "I knew which player to pass the ball, what their strength was and followed them in support". This is the key difference between Mortimer and Lamb.
Mortimer is the only player I've ever seen that was both a pure match winner AND a leader. Mortimer's incredible acceleration meant he could score solo tries from anywhere AND also run down opposition speedsters with his trademark cover tackles and save countless tries and his creativity, vision, passing and kicking meant he could set up tries from anywhere.
Lamb no doubt a great player himself but needed great talent around him for them to often create the line break to score tries as he lacked the acceleration to score solo tries.
The ONLY player in the halves to lead the Dogs to back to back GF wins is Mortimer.
IMO Mortimer is our greatest player by a fair margin, then Lamb our second greatest and then a huge distance to whoever is third.

>"our greatest premiership in 1995 making the GF and winning it from 6th spot, still to this day no team has done."
Yes our 95 GF was a great win but the 80 GF win broke a 42 year drought and Fulton's Easts were the favourites. By 95 the Dogs had over a decade of regular finals appearances and several GF wins so by that time regular success was instilled in the club. Without Mortimer we never make the 79 GF and we don't win the 80GF when he saved at least 4 tries with his cover tackles.
In 79 off the back of Mortimer's brilliant solo tries in the sudden death finals against Cronulla and Parra we fell short in the GF by 4 points and almost became the first side to win the GF from 5th place. We should have won that GF as Saint's first try was off a blatant forward pass that was even called by the Mossop but missed by the ref.

>"Folksey was the greatest Bulldog overall both on and off the field"
I disagree. Your definition of "greatest" appears to be years of service. My definition of "greatest" is the person's impact on the club in terms of sustained success and the person's performance as an individual and a team player. Folkes was part of the legendary forward pack and a hero of the club but it's the halves that have the greatest individual impact on the team. If Folkes didn't play in the 80's the Dogs would still have won those premierships given the quality of the forward pack and the halves.

>"Folkesy still managed to keep the coaching job for 8 years after Bullfrog passed."
A lot of that has to do with the nepotism of the club that has prevented the club moving forward for years. Folkes was replaced by Bullfrog's son and Kevin Moore would never have got the head coach job at another club. Usually when a head coach who was won a GF is on the market he would be inundated with offers from other NRL clubs who have not had recent success. Nobody offered Folkes a head coach role when he left the Dogs. Folkes was more of a hard nosed trainer than a master coach in the mould of Wok, Bennett, Bellamy, Gus, Robinson etc.
Good, Agree to disagree

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like we gonna need a foundry for the statues. Gonna need a Robbo Statue "smashing the Parra wall", for the greatest bulldog moment impacting another 4 opposition players at once.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As much as I loved terry lamb, Turvey Mortimer rates as the number one Bulldog for me.
was captain for us during our glory days and also captained Nsw to our first ever series victory.

baa lamb is a close second.
100% agree with this