Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you wouldn’t take Tyrone to have the other 2 you are crazy

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gaining the three would be OK, except we probably would have to punt someone to make them fit in.
I don't think that's a good idea. It's highly unlikely that the Rorters will sign all three so his argument doesn't hold water.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I doubt we sign him on those conditions. He a had a strong finish to the year in 2023 but he isn’t on that level where you change your salary cap strategy to get him. Taylan is a strong outside back but we don’t need another centre/winger and Tyrone is not required.
Fair call

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It reminded me of the Manu to Japanese Rugby story.

Why Joey Manu’s potential rugby move would make a mockery of NRL salary cap
The centre has been linked to a short-term deal in Japanese rugby.

Surprise reports emerged earlier this week regarding the future of Sydney Roosters centre Joseph Manu, linking him to a short-term stint in Japanese rugby.

It's certainly not the first - and won't be the last - time an NRL star has been linked with an overseas stint in the 15-man game, whether that be in Japan or France.

The money is simply outrageous. On a per week or month basis, it's even more than what Rugby Australia were able to pay Joseph Suaalii to make him the face of the sport at home from the start of the 2025 season ahead of the British and Irish Lions tour, followed two years later by a World Cup to be held down under.

And money talks. Ultimately, that is why players have gone overseas before, and will continue to be linked with it into the future.

But the suggestion for Manu's move to Japan is one has the potential to open a can of salary cap eating worms.

But by allowing Manu to go ahead and earn a full NRL season's wage in Japan, before returning to the Roosters, you bring into question the integrity of the system, even if it isn't perfect.

The NRL are yet to pass public comment on Manu's situation, but they will need to approve any return for Manu if he does spend the first half of 2025 overseas in rugby union. I'm not sure what the answer is though. Manu is the type of player who the NRL don't want to lose, so him playing half a season is better than none, but the old saying, that no one player is bigger than the game, must ring true to an extent here.

There are, and always will be, other stars, other players ready to take the limelight for every player who moves to rugby union.

Let's be real here - this isn't about rugby league against rugby union. It's not about the 13-man game being scared of the 15-man game. Blocking any move for Manu to skip half an NRL season to earn a full year's wages in Japan before returning to collect another is about the integrity of the salary cap. It's about ensuring the NRL financial rules do the job they were intended to do.

If Manu signs a deal for less money with the Roosters than he can gain elsewhere, then that's what it must be. Not topped up by another million dollars from Japan.

Worth remembering that the NRL knocked back Benji Marshall's request to do similar and then let SBW go ahead and do it. Roosters, every farkin time.

Always a Bulldog
Yep it's disgraceful. . Even changing the June 30 deadline for transfers to August to allow Roosters to get SBW.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didn't listen to it but if its roosters or Penrith , good luck .If he was important roosters would have already extended him and if its Penrith then it won't be a big contract
I dare say the same thing that stopped it happening here, will stop it happening at Penrith . . . The sponsors backlash to Tyrone. IMO sponsors should pay the money and STFU . . .If they want to be political . . .Buy a politician FFS . . . They should never be able to dictate terms to the club . . .

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Na fuck Tyrone, grub of a human. Taylan ain't much better either. The other seems to be the best of the bunch
Spoken like someone with no mates worth protecting, who has never made a mistake

Last edited:

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How have I not offered solutions? I’ve named at least half a dozen props we could have signed. Not to mention players we should have retained.

You should probably be considering the new forum rules and not picking so many fights with other members, Steve-o.
@Flanagun May said what he said because he knows he controls every card in negotiations with Gus. He's playing Gus off as well as the Warriors and Sharks did in releasing players to them so they could sign bigger fish and the players we actually needed (AFB & Capewell). Gus has bombed out in his prop targets so May who's the 4th ranked prop at the Roosters behind Collins, JHW & Leinu all the sudden can command big dollar from Gus and his brothers as part of the package. With Gus love of targeting Panther players or juniors it's too easy for May to win his demands.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@Flanagun May said what he said because he knows he controls every card in negotiations with Gus. He's playing Gus off as well as the Warriors and Sharks did in releasing players to them so they could sign bigger fish and the players we actually needed (AFB & Capewell). Gus has bombed out in his prop targets so May who's the 4th ranked prop at the Roosters behind Collins, JHW & Leinu all the sudden can command big dollar from Gus and his brothers as part of the package. With Gus love of targeting Panther players or juniors it's too easy for May to win his demands.
We have enough outside backs and enough utilities,so the fact he wants to play with his brothers,means it won't be at the Bulldogs.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We have enough outside backs and enough utilities,so the fact he wants to play with his brothers,means it won't be at the Bulldogs.
Must be the 18th team then, cause no club needs all 3 currently. Bringing 1 back from ESL, the other restarting his career after a horrible long term injury, just to get the 1 that you really want. Plus it’s not going to be one year, maybe 2 years isn’t even enough. I can’t see any club doing that, it’s a huge Salary Cap gamble for what could well be 3 years.

My negotiation would be “Terrell we consider you worth, say $450k contract, if you insist your bros come along too then it’s $150k each“. “That’s the only way all 3 of you can play here.” Maybe it’s $600k and $200k each, same principle. Let’s see how much it really means to him to play with his bros.

Always a Bulldog

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be the 18th team then, cause no club needs all 3 currently. Bringing 1 back from ESL, the other restarting his career after a horrible long term injury, just to get the 1 that you really want. Plus it’s not going to be one year, maybe 2 years isn’t even enough. I can’t see any club doing that, it’s a huge Salary Cap gamble for what could well be 3 years.

My negotiation would be “Terrell we consider you worth, say $450k contract, if you insist your bros come along too then it’s $150k each“. “That’s the only way all 3 of you can play here.” Maybe it’s $600k and $200k each, same principle. Let’s see how much it really means to him to play with his bros.

Always a Bulldog
Dragons could fit them in so could Warriors and even maybe Panthers or the Storm

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what we think. This is too tempting for Gus and his ego of Pantherising the club. He'll flick Fox and Wilson in 2 minutes. Terrell May has said this knowing Gus will take the bait.
@Flanagun @Berries

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what we think. This is too tempting for Gus and his ego of Pantherising the club. He'll flick Fox and Wilson in 2 minutes. Terrell May has said this knowing Gus will take the bait.
@Flanagun @Berries
The sponsors have already stopped it once, I doubt that changes

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Exactly. Wanting to play with his brothers may well be his goal, but I don't know about the practicality of it. Of the 3 brothers, we really only need 1. I think the best chance of it happening is in the ESL.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Roosters will make it work if they want it too. Funnily enough I've been seeing the Cast Patrol on FB do 'merged' clubs naming best 17 from both sides eg Dogs and Eels. Alot of teams that have been done so far, you can argue Roosters regular 17 for 2024 is better.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Dragons could fit them in so could Warriors and even maybe Panthers or the Storm
Could be beneficial for the Warriors to do it tbh. Tyrone could eventually fill the utility role that Dylan Walker played so well last season. Taylan could put pressure on Montoya and easily replace him. Tyrell replaces AFB.