Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tendulkar exposed, Hogg roasted
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Michelle Cazzulino and Steve Gee

January 09, 2008 09:50am

BATTING great Sachin Tendulkar has emerged as the mastermind of India's aggressive stance in the racism row after it was revealed he sent an SMS urging India to boycott the rest of the Australian tour.

Meanwhile it has emerged Australian spinner Brad Hogg is likely to front a hearing next Monday after being charged with making an offensive remark to India captain Anil Kumble and vice-captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni during the second Test.

According to reports from India, Tendulkar sent an SMS to Indian Cricket Board of Control (BCCI) president Sharad Pawar on Monday proclaiming Harbhajan Singh's innocence and pushing an Indian boycott of the Perth Test if the spinner's punishment was not revoked.

"Harbhajan is innocent and I can assure you on this," the text message from Tendulkar read.

"In this hour of crisis, the board should stand by him. I suggest we play in Perth only if the ban is lifted."

Gallery: Re-live the tension of the final day at the SCG

Tendulkar was batting with tail-ender Harbhajan during the spinner's altercation with Symonds.

The man they call the "Little Maestro" gave evidence at a hearing after the match by referee Mike Procter, who subsequently found Harbhajan had racially abused Symonds and imposed the three-Test ban.

The revelation of Tendulkar's SMS role came as it was announced the tour is back on schedule. Read more here.

Tendulkar and his teammates refused to answer questions from the media as they headed to Sydney's Bondi Beach for a training session yesterday. Despite laughing and joking among themselves during a game of beach volleyball with a group of Bondi lifeguards, the players left any statements on the crisis to team spokesman M.V. Sridhar.

Sridhar said the tourists were confident Harbhajan's suspension would be overturned: "We're very clear that Harbhajan has not said that," he said, referring to the "big monkey" gibe against Symonds.

When Harbhajan was asked earlier whether he was confident of winning his appeal, he nodded his head and said "yes" before boarding the team bus.

The Indian team was due in Canberra on Monday for a match against an ACT XI starting tomorrow, but remained in Sydney on BCCI orders.

Yesterday Sridhar denied the team had considered ending the tour.

"There's no thinking as of now of doing anything drastic towards the tour," he said.

For the team's fans, many of whom waited several hours for the players to emerge from lunch at Nick's restaurant in Bondi Pavilion, the crisis was the topic of spirited discussion.

Ishaan Varshney, 15, who had his picture taken with paceman Ishant Sharma, said he fully supported the BCCI's actions.

"I think it's a good decision, in the sense that they haven't been treated fairly," he said.

"If they keep conforming (to rulings they disagreed with), they wouldn't be showing any character."

Indian-born medical student Bikram Karmakar said the team should abandon its Australian tour if the ICC did not overturn Harbhajan's suspension.

"The fact they have taken the Australians word over the Indians ... we feel belittled and disrespected," he said.

"If you feel disrespected as a guest you should leave."

Mr Karmakar, who was in India for the first day of the second Test and watched the final three days live at the SCG, said the furore was embarrassing.

"As an Australian-Indian I feel very sad," the 19-year-old said.

``I have always respected the Australian players and support them (when they are not playing India), but I don't really feel that way at the moment.

"I have been talking to friends in India and most feel strongly about this."

Indian fan Jigar Darji, who followed the team from the Radisson Hotel to Bondi Beach yesterday morning, said: "It's so sad that this has happened -- that such a great game has been ruined by these controversies.

"The next time Australia goes to India there will be a massive backlash. We hope they overturn the decision, but the damage has already been done."

Bondi local Jeffrey Perkins was among dozens of local well-wishers to offer Harbhajan his personal support.

"I just said, `Don't worry. Everything will work out alright and that the Aussies are being a bit precious'," Mr Perkins said.

"He seemed in an alright mood, maybe a bit down, but he just said `Yeah'."

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
dude i knew this yesterday :p.. ask xeno cos i told him :p

LOL there was this idiot australian on the news last night saying most aussies go around saying 'gday bastard how are ya?' and that its not offensive, YOU TOOL, your not indian, you don't know whats offensive to them and whats not.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
tendulkar for pm sticking up for his mate...tendulkar is powerful he owns india..dont fuke with him lol

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Standards set:

If you complain when one of your players is accussed and suspended for racism you will have an automatic appeal that will be delayed to ensure you can play in the rest of the current test series

If your board threatens to cancel the current tour you have automatic right to pick and choose which umpires you will accept and which you won't

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
What happens on the field, stays on the field. The players need to HTFU

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
Tendulkar is a god. He knows if something untoward was said the guy is all class on and off the field.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Ok i thought of the best solution!! Sword fight between australia and india, this should sort out the men from the boys

M

Mr Miyagi

Cricket players are all ****, I reckon get the Bulldogs to run out and spear tackle the lot of the b!tches as practice for Willie Mason's punishment..

M

Mr Miyagi

mason?
as practice for sbw not mason
The cricket players will be Willie Mason champ HTH.
bulldogs will be doing the spear tackling, it's just practice ;)
Perfect practice as the cricket players are b!tches too

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
oh thats alright then

as long as they r mason, not mason doing the tackling

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

at least he had the ticker to stand up for his team mates.

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole situation has gone to sh!t. If you make a threat stand by it. If a decision goes against you, appeal it and get on with life. It seems that when things go against India they stamp their feet on the ground and threaten to run away from home. Cricket in India is the ONLY sport that everyone follows. Most of the players are treated like gods. I'm sure that if Sachin was to come out and say that the world is flat, most of India would agree with him. They should all just punch on, get it out of their systems and get on with playing cricket.

Status
Not open for further replies.