Ten to bid for NRL coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
CHANNEL 10's newly appointed chairman Lachlan Murdoch and his chief executive James Warburton are set to make an audacious bid to snatch the NRL broadcast rights from Nine.

The Daily Telegraph can today reveal Ten has dramatically ramped up its interest in the game in recent months, so much so that it is already working out budgets to televise all eight matches per week.

Until recently, its interest had been confined to high-rating Friday or Monday night matches - but that has changed. "We want it all," said one Ten source last night.

NRL chief executive David Gallop confirmed last night that Murdoch and Warburton had indicated a stronger interest than just one game a week in recent negotiations.

"That simply confirms the conversations we've had with James Warburton and Lachlan Murdoch in recent weeks," Gallop said. "If you're running a network and there's the possibility of getting your hands on over 30 weeks of high-rating cross-demographic content, you would be mad not to be interested."

The NRL is banking on a $1 billion payday from its next broadcast deal, which expires at the end of this year.

Gallop has long advocated the game would be willing to break up the television rights in order to bump up the value of the next deal.

It is understood Seven remains keen to broadcast State of Origin, although industry insiders said it has not discounted the idea of showing more matches.

Ten had appeared to lose interest in rugby league last year when it announced dedicated sports channel One HD would shift its focus to entertainment to take on Seven's digital channel 7mate.

But it is understood Ten has now gone so far to start discussing possible commentary line-ups and production schedules to accommodate being the No. 1 rugby league broadcaster.

Murdoch, who was appointed chairman of Ten earlier this week, knows that Ten desperately needs high quality content on his network.There is also enormous pressure on the newly formed ARL Commission to strike a $1 billion-plus broadcast deal.

Chairman John Grant revealed last week that negotiations with current rights holders Nine and Fox Sports had started on February 1.

"Subject to our legal obligations, we would certainly consider breaking up our packages," Gallop said. "We are in exclusive negotiating periods with our incumbent rights holders but subject to that we are obviously interested in the other possibilities."

Ten remained tight-lipped on the network's interest in the rights last night. "We look at all sports rights as they become available," the spokesperson said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rom-channel-nine/story-e6frexnr-1226272153875

d_eye

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope 9 loses it
Had enough of fatty and his dumb show.

Ray warren will DEFINETLY be paid big bucks to come across and many will follow

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
DAILY TELEGRAPH FANX,

same people who own fox sports , foxtel own channel 10, they have allready killed one hd, i cant see this happening

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Channel 9 have already stated that the only way that they will lose the coverage is if they no longer want it. They will keep their normal Friday, Sunday, and Finals coverage.

But this is very good news for us, the more bidders the better. We might see Ten broadcast some of the saturday games in tandem with Fox.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malla

Reaction score
Agreed with Moe. Means more league on free to air TV. I just hope it won't mean guys like Laurie Daley, Wayne Pearce and that old kiwi half back moving across to 10 in commentary. I watch games on fox with no sounds cause I hate their commentary.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need a saturday night game live.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fox sports will fight tooth and nail to retain their rights, imagine how many subscribers would simply cancel their pay-tv accounts if this happens.

Looks like the $1 Billion deal is well within the NRL's sights. great news for our game.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fox sports will fight tooth and nail to retain their rights, imagine how many subscribers would simply cancel their pay-tv accounts if this happens.

Looks like the $1 Billion deal is well within the NRL's sights. great news for our game.
The only reason I have foxtel is for footy, and I'd be happy to not have to pay $65 a month and watch on 10. Not sure if The Game Plan with Andrew Moore is on again this year, but he would head channel 10's coverage if they got the deal and I'd be very happy to have him as commentator with Blocker.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Every game should be on free tv! Make it happen Channel 10!

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
The only reason I have foxtel is for footy, and I'd be happy to not have to pay $65 a month and watch on 10. Not sure if The Game Plan with Andrew Moore is on again this year, but he would head channel 10's coverage if they got the deal and I'd be very happy to have him as commentator with Blocker.
Pretty sure one of the OneHD league shows got axed but can't remember which one. They're both fairly similar. I think I liked the Monday one more because it'd cover the game that night which I never get to see unless in person.

TJW

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i'd like a saturday night game free! i think oneHD would be mad not to try and get it, they started it up aiming to be a sports channel, so start getting more sport on there! i dont like pay TV showing the games. maybe give them replays to show for anybody interested, but have the majority of the games on free to air!

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd like a saturday night game free! i think oneHD would be mad not to try and get it, they started it up aiming to be a sports channel, so start getting more sport on there! i dont like pay TV showing the games. maybe give them replays to show for anybody interested, but have the majority of the games on free to air!
I agree, OneHD should try get it, its hardly a sports channel atm apart from nba, Channel 10 would be okay for Friday night games, but OneHd would be better for saturday night/sunday games and monday nights game. But i totally agree, majority should be free to air. so sick of informercials on every goddamn channel

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed with Moe. Means more league on free to air TV. I just hope it won't mean guys like Laurie Daley, Wayne Pearce and that old kiwi half back moving across to 10 in commentary. I watch games on fox with no sounds cause I hate their commentary.
Would they be able to bring over Ray Warren for that? If they have sh*t commentary it still turns people off watching. I just dont think channel 10 broadcasting all the games is the best move, Friday night yes, But saturday and sunday and the monday game should be on OneHD. Though channel 10 has sh*t on nowdays anyway.

Woods

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Game Plan is back on this year the show that got axed was one week at a time. RPM also got axed on mondays which tells me that there clearing there Monday schedual to fit in Monday Night Footy.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Game Plan is back on this year the show that got axed was one week at a time. RPM also got axed on mondays which tells me that there clearing there Monday schedual to fit in Monday Night Footy.
Sweet.

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.