Telstra Stadium Surface!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
I think alot of the injuries our players are suffering can be blamed on the current surface of Telstra Stadium. with the stadium being used for Afl games, & also home games for other teams like souths & tigers, & not to mention rugby union internationals, the surface is overused & doesnt have time to recover between weekends.

compare the patchy surfaces of Telstra Stadium to the lush green you see at oki jubilee the other day or even shark park.

The bullodgs club are locked into a long term agreement with Telstra Stadium, however with other footy teams using the same field, i believe we have the right to expect more for our money and players who risk injury every time they run onto the field and get injured because of the sandy or patchy surface.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Did anyone see the incidents where Asotasis' and Tonga's injuries occurred? All I saw at the ground was them coming off and going up the tunnel.

It's possible it was not related to the grass? Although Emilio's knee injury against the eagles earlier this year was almost certainly caused by slipping/loose grass.

I think thats all the knee injuries we've had this year?

BumAcid

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't see Tonga's but Roy got smashed and fell very awkwardly. It's a game i don't really want to watch again. Couldn't even watch the replay on FOX yesterday....

jig73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Both injuries weren't from slipping but with problems with the way they propped in the tackles sometimes this can be linked with the surface. If the surface was to blame it would be because their feet were unable to adjust from sinking into a loose/uneven or even boggy surface this then causes the drama with the knee. The same thing always happens at multi purpose fields. Lets move back to Belmore!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont think it was the ground. It was 3 accidental injuries in a way. The myes one i think looked the worst from where i was sitting. The ground can only be blamed if a player is running in the open and goes to step and hyper flexis his knee of ankle or something like that. I think once there is opposition player interventions then it can not be blamed on the ground.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
from todays daily telegraph:

NRL stars have expressed official concerns to the Players' Association over Telstra Stadium's controversial playing surface just a fortnight out from the finals.

RLPA chief executive Matthew Rodwell last night revealed he had relayed complaints from senior players to NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley at a meeting yesterday.

Rodwell said Bulldogs captain Andrew Ryan and Newcastle forward Clint Newton were among those sceptical about the controversial playing surface.

Bulldogs prop Roy Asotasi and centre Willie Tonga sustained long-term knee injuries at the ground during last Friday night's game against Brisbane.

Rodwell said the RLPA will continue to monitor the ground surface for the remainder of this season.

"We want to be pro-active and not reactive," he said. "We want to keep reviewing the ground.

"There is hesitancy among the players. I have been contacted by Andrew Ryan and Clint Newton.

"Some players have requested we takes steps to ensure it isn't a dangerous surface."

Newton, the RPLA vice president, believes an independent body should inspect the playing surface.

"I would hate to see one of the game's big guns get wounded because we didn't do enough to ensure the surface is up to scratch," he said. "From all reports, it is a lot better than it was but I think we should be getting an independent person to check it out before the semi-finals just to make sure.

"I think the biggest problem with it is the grass is really thin and at night when there is dew around, boots don't get any traction and you get blokes slipping all over the place.

"There is the potential for injuries to occur when it is like that. I just think we have to do whatever we can to ensure players' safety."

South Sydney play North Queensland at Telstra this Sunday afternoon.

wyongguy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i don't think the surface had anything to do with the injuries on friday night, but the surface is a shocker at telstra, it's a shame that one of australia's premium venues has a sh** playing surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.