Opinion Taukeiaho is another Luke Thompson only older

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was keen on us signing him when it was first mentioned but if you look into his recent history it looks like a very risky move unfortunately.

When he left the Roosters he did an interview in December last year on the Bloke In a Bar podcast. When asked why he was leaving the Roosters he said
"Once one injury was getting better another one pops up"
"I feel like my body is done"
"It's probably better if I go to Super League and relax a bit"
He told Robbo
"I can't keep delivering for your team. I don't want to let you guys down"

Yet his body couldn't even handle the rigours of Super League. Of the 19 games the Catalans Dragons have played this year he's only managed 6. See the UK media article below from 2 days ago

"Taukeiaho’s appearances for the Dragons have been few and far between in 2023, despite joining Steve McNamara’s side to be the cornerstone of the pack.

The Tongan international has made just six appearances for Catalans, with his time at the Stade Gilbert Brutus being blighted by injury".

He's no longer the same player he once was. His body won't let him be that player obviously and by his own admission. We also need him / someone to be the cornerstone of our pack but looks like we'll be wasting 500K for him to spend more time on the sideline than the field and we can't have that again as we did with Thompson. Our training injures young fit players. How's this 32yo gonna go ?

If he were still any good wouldn't the Roosters have signed him again before a few others especially when they could get him on the cheap on the books anyway but he doesn't want to let them down so a paid holiday at other clubs is fine

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Rooster let Taukeiaho go because of his 2021 form, his 2022 form was more than decent, I think he left the NRL too early

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s definitely a risk, no doubt. But given what’s happened this season I can’t see the club signing him without a thorough look at his medical history and current condition.

As for the interview he gave, things change. After the game against the Knights I swore to everyone that would listen that I was done watching any more dogs games because it was bad for my mental health. But my dumb ass was at it again the following week.

Jokes aside, he’s worth the punt because of the upside he could bring.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Sio- always injured
-Watson- always injured
RFM- Always injured
Patolo- always injured.

At least Thommo has drive to get back and good fitness levels and is younger. There is no upside to Sio over him.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The **** has literally been injured all year. You’ve lost the plot bro
Do you understand that so did Sio uleh?

And unlike Thompson, Sio is extremely old so recovery will hit different.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do you understand that so did Sio uleh?

And unlike Thompson, Sio is extremely old so recovery will hit different.
Thommo is the wrong player to use as an example. He has missed much more footy than SST. Thomno can stay for 300 max otherwise go use up all the band aids at some other club

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully Thommo hasn’t used all the dogs bandaids and there is sone left for Sunday, otherwise we won’t be able to cover the NRL logo
Probably finished because the leftovers you taped onto your heart because og hurt feelings.

You did this symbolically, but then physically to represent the symbol.

Malla

Reaction score
He’s on 50% less $$$ than Luke and he’s more durable
He’s played a decade in first grade and he’s proven
He’s won comps
He’s older by 3 years you’re acting like he’s old enough to be his dad

It’s not too late to delete this thread

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s on 50% less $$$ than Luke and he’s more durable
Irrelevant because signing Luke would cost the same and maybe even cheaper
He’s played a decade in first grade and he’s proven
So has Luke for that matter, and so has Josh Reynolds. Like Josh, he is an old player who faltered in SL.
He’s won comps
Props dont win comps but since you are on the subjext Luke has won more and again, is younger.

Malla

Reaction score
Irrelevant because signing Luke would cost the same and maybe even cheaper

So has Luke for that matter, and so has Josh Reynolds. Like Josh, he is an old player who faltered in SL.

Props dont win comps but since you are on the subjext Luke has won more and again, is younger.
Ok

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Some no name "reporter" said we signed him for 550k on SEN.... fkn lol