News Taaffe prepared for Bulldogs No. 1 battle

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Josh Morris got moved to right centre because Xerri preferred the left centre. He blew up because of it. Xerri only played right centre because he was a rookie.

He is a left hand ball carrier. So is Crichton.

You are moot if you don’t see that. All of the best modern day centres play on their dominant side.

- Inglis
- Latrell
- Hodges
- Gasnier
- Vagana
- Gidley
- Manu
- Lyon
- Cooper

They may have switched sides occasionally but they were nowhere near as effective on their non preferred side.

You are taking the piss if you can’t see that .
Alamoti is a right side centre that look bad on the left. I miss alamoti

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crichton has played mostly on the right his career and has a good combo with To’o. He was moved to the left to help Luai in defence with his bad shoulder as they actually backed Tago and Cleary to hold the right. Broncos actually targeted that right side to try and tire Cleary and work him over. I feel teams will do it more next year. Make Penrith play the style they don’t like to play, rather then off Yeo then to Cleary. If Capewell tackles him it stops the first comeback try and if Walsh is in position possibly stops the last. If you look at the whole game Crichtons almost clive Churchill himself with some of the ‘1%’s’ he pulled.
He grabbed a ball late to set Penrith up for the 40/20. His try he had a fair bit of work to do and also had a near kick for a repeat set.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Crichton has played mostly on the right his career and has a good combo with To’o. He was moved to the left to help Luai in defence with his bad shoulder as they actually backed Tago and Cleary to hold the right. Broncos actually targeted that right side to try and tire Cleary and work him over. I feel teams will do it more next year. Make Penrith play the style they don’t like to play, rather then off Yeo then to Cleary. If Capewell tackles him it stops the first comeback try and if Walsh is in position possibly stops the last. If you look at the whole game Crichtons almost clive Churchill himself with some of the ‘1%’s’ he pulled.
He grabbed a ball late to set Penrith up for the 40/20. His try he had a fair bit of work to do and also had a near kick for a repeat set.
Crichton played left centre/wing in the juniors and started his NRL career on the left before shifting over the right to accommodate Burton in 2021. Pretty sure in 2021 he actually finished the year on the right wing. Panthers have always sort of used him to plug holes in the backline and put others in roles where they're more comfortable.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
So it sounds like CC has told Blake and Stephen they are fighting against each other for the fullback role.
Great in the sense they will both bust their nuts out to be the #1 behind the guys,
But what happens to the loser?
Imagine your Crichton, star of the last year, leaving your homies, to come play fullback, training your ass off only to lose it to Blake who is also training his ass off?
It just feels in this race there is a winner. And a loser. And the loser will get shitty if he hasn’t done anything wrong and left his club to come play.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Perham trained the best too apparently haha. Sometimes you gotta just pick the best player for the role, hopefully the coaching staff get it right this time around

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Perham trained the best too apparently haha. Sometimes you gotta just pick the best player for the role, hopefully the coaching staff get it right this time around
Yeah this whole obsession by who the best trainer is, is getting whacked up.
Terry Lamb didn’t train. Jason Smith didn’t train.
At other clubs Cliff Lyims didn’t really train and even the Hayne plane wasn’t a trainer I heard.

I honestly think it just looks worse when islanders don’t train, as they already battle the stereotype.
Like it’s cute when Lamb doesn’t do it but when Atoni didn’t it just looks stinky.

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm hoping taaffe turns into a luke patten type signing.Both players started off brightly before ending up in reserve grade,before signing for us.Luke patten went on to be a great bulldog clubman over his career.Hopefully Taaffe can be as much as a success as patten.A backline of Taaffe,addo carr,xerri,chrichton and kiraz could be deadly behind a decent forward pack.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm hoping taaffe turns into a luke patten type signing.Both players started off brightly before ending up in reserve grade,before signing for us.Luke patten went on to be a great bulldog clubman over his career.Hopefully Taaffe can be as much as a success as patten.A backline of Taaffe,addo carr,xerri,chrichton and kiraz could be deadly behind a decent forward pack.
He’s definitely capable I think. I’ll stop short in saying he will? But he could

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
At other clubs Cliff Lyims didn’t really train and even the Hayne plane wasn’t a trainer I heard.

I honestly think it just looks worse when islanders don’t train, as they already battle the stereotype.
Like it’s cute when Lamb doesn’t do it but when Atoni didn’t it just looks stinky.
Lamb didn't train because his knees were shot not through bad attitude..also you can't compare the 80s and 90s to the professional standards of today, especially fulltime professionals. This club is built off hard training.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Clear they rewarded the players who put in effort which it the right thing to do as it shows the lazy players they need to step up, unfortunately for us the players picked were the least talented.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a good feeling tang Taffe is going to be surprise a lot of us having a pre season in fullback.

Thank god that means the end of perham. Yahhh baryeh I was gonna lose more hair if we went with him next year

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Lol
Those guys didn’t train because they were over 30 and had played 300 games of FG.
Outside backs in their early 20’s have no excuse for not training hard.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol
Those guys didn’t train because they were over 30 and had played 300 games of FG.
Outside backs in their early 20’s have no excuse for not training hard.
Also the training standards were much different back then seeing it wasn't a full time comp and most of these guys worked full time Monday-Friday and played on weekends

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
that’s what scares me. Nothing ciro has done has demonstrated he knows the difference between live match conditions and training. Averillo, while also shit in defense, shoulda had that fullback jumper since day 1

Would not surprise me if taffe ended up there despite critta being the more talented player. And if taffe does get there it’ll be the usual bs “oh he’s got a voice at the back”

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
that’s what scares me. Nothing ciro has done has demonstrated he knows the difference between live match conditions and training. Averillo, while also shit in defense, shoulda had that fullback jumper since day 1

Would not surprise me if taffe ended up there despite critta being the more talented player. And if taffe does get there it’ll be the usual bs “oh he’s got a voice at the back”
Just gotta hope Ciro has learnt a lot from this disaster first year as well and can grow into the Head Coach role. Hope too that Gus takes a more active guiding role in helping him and Taylor adjust lol