News Taaffe prepared for Bulldogs No. 1 battle

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury recruit Blake Taaffe knows he has a fight on his hands to secure the Bulldogs No. 1 jersey but is adamant a positional battle will bring out his best in the pre-season.

Fresh off his NRL State Championship victory, Taaffe revealed the race for the starting fullback role is wide open with the 24-year-old ready to fight it out for the prized position against fellow 2024 recruit Stephen Crichton.

While Crichton's status stands as a three-time premiership winning, World Cup and State of Origin outside back, the former South Sydney utility said there’s no position he’d rather be in than pushing against the odds for a starting spot next season.

“Cirro (Cameron Ciraldo) said that we’re pretty much going there both for the same spot but it’ll be up to whoever trains the best,” Taaffe told NRL.com.

“I’ve been in this position before and there’s no better position to be in, it makes you train harder, be hungrier and I’m really looking forward to it.

“I've been given an opportunity to go over there and give it a red-hot crack and he said if I can prove them wrong, then the position is mine.

“But I’ve got to go over there and earn the respect from the team and the coaching staff so that’s what I’m going to do and can’t wait.”

The La Perouse junior became the least experienced grand final player when he filled in for a suspended Mitchell at fullback in 2021 but still couldn’t cement a spot in Jason Demetriou’s side in the years since, playing just ten NRL games this season.

Capable at playing both in the halves and at fullback, Taaffe said he is grateful to have learnt off some of the game’s biggest stars but when Canterbury came knocking, he knew he was ready to call a jersey his own.

“Obviously I’ve been stuck behind the big fella here and only getting to play when he was injured," he said.

Latrell (Mitchell) and Cody (Walker) both, I’ve been their apprentice the past four years and to be able to go out and do my own thing now, I’m really looking forward to it.

“There’s a great bunch of boys at Souths who I call my brothers and it's going to be sad leaving them but on to a bigger and better challenge and something I’m really looking forward to.”

After suffering a head knock in the early stages of South Sydney’s season-ending loss to the Roosters in Round 27, Taaffe returned to help his side take out the NSW Cup grand final in September.

Donning the famous red and green of South Sydney for the last time in Sunday’s State Championship at Accor stadium, Taaffe said one last win with the Rabbitohs was the “best way possible” to farewell his junior club.

We've had a crazy year of ups and downs through both through both grades but to have finished on this note is pretty special," he said.

“It was an emotional week. I had my dad come in and present me my jersey so once he did that, it sort of hit me then that this was it but it’s been an unreal week and there’s no better way to finish it off.

“I’ve got a couple of weeks off so I’m just going to refresh, get away from footy for a bit so I can come back and hit the ground running with my new club.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leave Critta in the centres and give Taaffe a chance I reckon. I know some on here think he’s shit but I don’t mind the signing & he seems excited to get an opportunity.
The only problem is that both Crichton and Xerri are left centres. Chrichton is ok at right centre but he ain’t a $800k right centre.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Seems to be on the right in these highlights.
Pretty sure he prefers the left and only played on the right because Morris was left centre. He eventually did replace Morris there but obviously played very little there because he got banned.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be a good showdown, you’d expect Crichton to be an excellent trainer so Taaffe will have his work cut out for him, but if he can foot it with Crichton and stay even with him in the pre season it’s a no brainer that he should be FB & Crichton centre …

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
wasn't fox supposed to be our FB when he signed, i'll be surprised if crichton isn't in the centres
That was just the Kennel!
They want every star we get to be our rock star fullback. Lol
Critta is a star but my feels are Taafe is more suited to fullback.
Happy to be proven wrong!

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Undeniably he’s a great effort player atleast from what I’ve seen of him. Fair amount of pace and syncs in well with set plays which is a standard I know but we’ve barely had that. He’s also brilliant yardage wise he takes every metre he can which is a valuable asset in a fullback. In terms of functionality and what makes the side stronger overall Critta is the best defensive back in the modern game for me. Just hope Ciraldo plays players to their strengths we will benefit as a defensive unit.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only problem is that both Crichton and Xerri are left centres. Chrichton is ok at right centre but he ain’t a $800k right centre.
Xerri has almost exclusively played right centre at NRL level. He can play both sides.

Crichton has played the vast majority of his time as a right centre also. He can play both sides.

This point is moot!

It’s actually a unique positive to have both your centres able to switch sides. The Broncos did this fairly well with Herbie & Staggs regularly switching midway through games this season. Making defensive decisions hard for opponents.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Xerri has almost exclusively played right centre at NRL level. He can play both sides.

Crichton has played the vast majority of his time as a right centre also. He can play both sides.

This point is moot!

It’s actually a unique positive to have both your centres able to switch sides. The Broncos did this fairly well with Herbie & Staggs regularly switching midway through games this season. Making defensive decisions hard for opponents.
Josh Morris got moved to right centre because Xerri preferred the left centre. He blew up because of it. Xerri only played right centre because he was a rookie.

He is a left hand ball carrier. So is Crichton.

You are moot if you don’t see that. All of the best modern day centres play on their dominant side.

- Inglis
- Latrell
- Hodges
- Gasnier
- Vagana
- Gidley
- Manu
- Lyon
- Cooper

They may have switched sides occasionally but they were nowhere near as effective on their non preferred side.

You are taking the piss if you can’t see that .

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Crichton is a left footer. His kicking down the left corridor will come in handy.