News Taaffe gets first crack at Bulldogs’ No.1; Schuster’s return bid as Manly rest stars: Rd 1 Team Tips

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The start of the 2024 season is just under a month away with a historic double header in Las Vegas.

But with teams to feature in trial games over the next three weekends, there’s still a bit to play out in terms of clubs figuring out their Round 1 line-ups.

The Bulldogs will give Blake Taaffe first crack at the fullback spot in the first trial against the Storm.

Meanwhile, Josh Schuster is set to play Manly’s first trial against the Roosters, but Tom and Jake Trbojevic and Daly Cherry-Evans will be rested.

SATURDAY MARCH 9

Parramatta Eels vs. Canterbury Bulldogs at CommBank Stadium, 5.30pm AEDT

Predicted Eels team: 1. Clint Gutherson 2. Maika Sivo 3. Will Penisini 4. Bailey Simonsson 5. Sean Russell 6. Dylan Brown 7. Mitchell Moses 8. Junior Paulo 9. Brendan Hands 10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 11. Shaun Lane 12. Bryce Cartwright 13. J’maine Hopgood 14. Joey Lussick 15. Joe Ofahengaue 16. Ryan Matterson 17. Wiremu Greig

Team Tips: Our predicted Eels Round 1 side is far too talented to not be playing finals after a disappointing 2023. The main question mark is who will start the season at hooker with a battle in two brewing between Brendan Hands and Joey Lussick. Shaun Lane is set for a big season after an injury-riddled 2023 campaign.

Predicted Bulldogs team: 1. Blake Taaffe 2. Blake Wilson 3. Jacob Kiraz 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Matt Burton 7. Toby Sexton 8. Max King 9. Reed Mahoney 10. Liam Knight 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Jacob Preston 13. Josh Curran 14. Jaeman Salmon 15. Harrison Edwards 16. Samuel Hughes 17. Kurt Mann

Team Tips: One of the more anticipated Round 1 line-ups will be the new-look Bulldogs. Stephen Crichton slots straight into the centres with another recruit in Blake Taaffe the likely fullback. The Daily Telegraph reported Taaffe will get first crack at the fullback spot in the club’s trial against the Storm. Former Warrior Josh Curran is expected to start at lock. The other fullback option Connor Tracey is pushing for a Round 1 spot but is only just back running after a recent ankle injury. Crichton and Viliame Kikau won’t play in the trial against the Storm. Much was made about the number of utilities the Bulldogs signed this off-season, and two of them in Kurt Mann and Jaeman Salmon will be in the running for a spot on the pine to start the season. Toby Sexton will be the Bulldogs halfback in Round 1 but if he has a slow start to the season, Drew Hutchison is waiting in the wings.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The spirits of the Roche estate winery
Tell me the doggies have the backs to trouble the comp.
Ciraldo needs forwards to play ad-lib footy ,we need to be high scoring by playing high octane entertaining footy.
If Burton loses his running shyness then anything is possible.
Let’s entertain the thought the doggies can be entertainers in 2024 and give this whole thing a big shake

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
CT is rested meaning he will be our NO.1

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Crichton injured? (reduced training or something) so it only tells us CC is going with Taaffe over Tracey unless he's injured too.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Taaffe should definitely get first go at FB, Needs to be allows to prove himself from the get go an show the passion he has, it’s all heart an far more than what we’ve had recently. I back him 10000%%. I hype him a make that very clear. Up to him to prove me wrong!!

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Taaffe should definitely get first go at FB, Needs to be allows to prove himself from the get go an show the passion he has, it’s all heart an far more than what we’ve had recently. I back him 10000%%. I hype him a make that very clear. Up to him to prove me wrong!!
I hope he kills it, if not Tracey will be next.

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don't want Salmon on the bench, would rather another middle forward. Salmon is an edge backrower who is also barely a utility, he is a below average 5/8 and a temporary centre at best.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't want Salmon on the bench, would rather another middle forward. Salmon is an edge backrower who is also barely a utility, he is a below average 5/8 and a temporary centre at best.
We need to get the team balance correct first and foremost. With HIA now embedded in the game. You cannot afford to have three middles on the bench. Whether it’s Salmon or someone else we need one of our utilities on the bench to cover edge backrow and potentially centre.

Our middle strength might be our weakest link but putting 3 of them on the bench isn’t the answer.

I am really hoping CC knows we have a middle problem. And is formulating a game style/plan over the offseason that will work to our strengths. Nullifying our Prop shortfall.

One thing that needs to change from last season is carrying cover for Reed on the bench and actually using them.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if Critta, Kiks and Tracey all rested and JAC, BBO & Curran playing All stars I'm guessing the Trial this week will be the experiment and the following trial will be a real trial.

Players playing this week have their spots in question or we have no other options. Taafe, Xerri, Wilson, Burton, Sexton/Hutcho, Mann, Salmon... I think Fullback is Taafe, Tracey, Critta. Centres are Critta,Tracey,Xerri,Kiraz. Wingers JAC,Wilson,Kiraz.

If Taafe shits the bed Tracey will be Fullback next Trial. I think Mann is guaranteed the bench utility unless he is injured. Other players that only have to be fit King, Knight and Hughes. Two bench spots are available.