Sydney FC wins race to sign Alessandro Del Piero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy crap. What an outcome.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...sandro-del-piero/story-e6frg7mf-1226462722296

SYDNEY FC has beaten some of the biggest and richest clubs in Europe, the Middle East and China to sign Italian superstar Alessandro Del Piero.

What was considered mission impossible, turned into reality late today when Sydney FC chief executive Tony Pignata and leading player agent and promoter Lou Sticca clinched a deal with the former Juventus star following hours of negotiations over three nights.

The deal was first mooted in The Australian on Tuesday and is regarded as the biggest signing in Australian soccer history.
It is believed to be worth close to $2 million and will make the 37-year-old striker the highest-paid footballer of all time in this country.

It is a stunning coup for the Sky Blues given Del Piero was being chased by a number of clubs around the world. He has opted for Australia and the chance to leave a footprint in the sport that has been his life.
The most influential people in Sport

Del Piero, a World Cup winner, has been without a club since finishing his career with Juventus at the end of last season's Serie A.

He played 513 games for Juventus, scoring 208 goals and becoming the club's greatest goalscorer of all time.

He was capped 91 times for Italy, scoring 27 goals and was part of the side that won the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany.

Pele, acknowledged as the greatest player of all time, named him in his top 100 living playing legends.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome news.
Exactly. Even at 37, turning 38 he'll be worth another 3 or 4 thousand memberships alone. I realise most of it was off the bench, but he played 25 times for the eventual Italian champions last year.

I'm a member there and have sat through some crap in recent years. So pleased they've secured a legend and a bloody good all round bloke. It's a hell of a coup too in terms of some supporters who may have been tempted to switch loyalties to the new Wanderers team. Even though we live 10 mins walk from Parra stadium, me and the missus have stuck with Sydney FC. So pleased with that call now.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An old clip, but what a classic. So pumped for the new season now.

[video=youtube;zImywqWbeaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zImywqWbeaA[/video]

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Awesome. Been my favorite player since he started playing foe juve. I'll never forget his combination with fillipo inzaghi. On their way to the scudetto, they broke the record for the most goals for a attacking pair in a season, I forget how many goals they scored, but they both got on the board nearly every week ! Admittedly, they were playing behind zidane, dechamps and vialli. (and, as it later turned out, maybe some favorable referees :-P )

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
An old clip, but what a classic. So pumped for the new season now.

[video=youtube;zImywqWbeaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zImywqWbeaA[/video]
Just watched that clip, I forgot about ravenelli. What a team, what a goal !

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Massive signing alright

I think this would finally get the old school NSL fans from Marconi and APIA Leichardt coming to A-League games

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Massive signing alright

I think this would finally get the old school NSL fans from Marconi and APIA Leichardt coming to A-League games
You got that right. I'm buying a membership. It'll never be the same as watching on the hill at Lambert Park, but this is Alex!

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Looks like this article was bs. His brother said nothing confirmed or signed...

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
am i the only one that thinks this signing offers nothing to the team?

did he play all 25 times last season or come off the bench for most of them. People think he is going to come and score wonder goals every week

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like this article was bs. His brother said nothing confirmed or signed...
The members mailout last night claimed it as a done deal. It's certainly not a wild rumour. The club clearly believe he's coming.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

did he play all 25 times last season or come off the bench for most of them. People think he is going to come and score wonder goals every week
Dude, its A-League, any decent player would come and score wonder goals

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Please. Del piero in a wheelchair would still top the goal scores list in the a league.

P

Paint.

Please. Del piero in a wheelchair would still top the goal scores list in the a league.
tbh if del piero was in a wheelchair, he wouldn't be allowed to play the game as he would struggle to kick the ball.

hth

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
tbh if del piero was in a wheelchair, he wouldn't be allowed to play the game as he would struggle to kick the ball.

hth
Fair point. Del piero in a neck brace ?

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Watched about 30 of Juve's 38 games last year.

Del Piero, whilst not having the pace anymore, still has the skill/vision/technical ability.

There were MANY times he came off the bench and sparked the team massively when we were extremely lacklustre. Setting up attacking raids, playing guys in, scoring a few goals, and hitting the post at least 5 times.

Definitely a good signing. When he was still in limbo at Juve, he was adamant that he wanted to play on, which makes me think he'll take it seriously. He is a man with much pride.

SoulCrusher

Banned
Reaction score
I see plenty of goals and assists for him this year.

Good signing for both parties, Sydney will sell plenty of tickets/memberships, Del Piero gets to finnish his carrer getting paid reasonable coin in a very nice place to live.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Watched about 30 of Juve's 38 games last year.

Del Piero, whilst not having the pace anymore, still has the skill/vision/technical ability.

There were MANY times he came off the bench and sparked the team massively when we were extremely lacklustre. Setting up attacking raids, playing guys in, scoring a few goals, and hitting the post at least 5 times.

Definitely a good signing. When he was still in limbo at Juve, he was adamant that he wanted to play on, which makes me think he'll take it seriously. He is a man with much pride.
This.

Having said that. He might struggle with the roughness of Aussie soccer. If he stays injury free he will do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.