Sydney CBD climate protest attracts over 30,000 people

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
More than 30,000 protesters brushed off hot and humid conditions to voice their displeasure at the federal government's handling of the bushfire crisis and its attitude towards climate change.

The event in Sydney's CBD was set up a few weeks ago by Uni Students for Climate Justice, in conjunction with Extinction Rebellion.

Thousands attended a rally at Town Hall in Sydney's CBD to demand action on climate change.

Photo: Cole Bennetts
The marchers were moving from Town Hall to Parliament House. Organisers were hoping for a larger crowd than at the early December protests, which attracted roughly 20,000 to the same location.

Inspector Gary Coffey said that the number this time around was "more than 30,000".

Inspector Coffey said the crowd was “well-behaved” on its long march from Town Hall, past Parliament House and back to Hyde Park, where it disbanded.

Today’s turnout eclipses crowd-sizes at the most recent two climate protests, but is less than the record 80,000 who packed out the Domain for the School Climate Strike last September.

It's estimated that more than 30,000 people took to the streets in Sydney on Friday.

Photo: Isabella Porras
After a march lasting close to an hour, Friday’s march ended outside Hyde Park’s Archibald Fountain, where protesters sat on the grass, listening to music and dance performances.

Protesters chanted, "Hey hey, ho ho ScoMo has got to go" as speakers climbed Town Hall’s side steps, and later moved on to "The liar from the shire, the country is on fire".

Izzy Raj-Seppings, 13, waited to address the crowd.

She was given a move-on order by police while protesting outside Kirribilli House last September. Her hope is that Friday's protest will create change.

"[I hope] it attracts a lot of attention gets our Prime Minister to move and start thinking about change from fossil fuels to renewables," she said.

Greens senator Mehreen Faruqi addressed the crowd.

"I stand in front of you today bloody angry," she said. "I don’t think I have ever been this angry in my life."

She said she was determined to do whatever it took to turn the "climate crisis" around.

Thousands of protesters rally in front of Sydney Town Hall calling for action on climate change.

Photo: Rhett Wyman
"Leadership is totally lacking in our Prime Minister and this government," she said.

"Scott Morrison and his government are cowardly. They are dishonest. They are completely incompetent. They have behaved like climate criminals. And they are led by Scotty From Marketing."

Senator Faruqi used a disparaging nickname for Mr Morrison, referring to his time at Tourism Australia.

She said a royal commission into bushfires was just the start, and that climate activists needed to be bolder and more radical in the future.

"Out-of-control bushfires are sweeping across the state - destroying thousands of hectares, houses, and lives," the event description said on Facebook.

"These fires, heatwaves, and droughts are not just unprecedented - they're the direct result of decades of climate destruction at the hands of fossil fuel loving politicians.

"The climate crisis has compounded hundreds of years of land mismanagement since invasion and decades of profiteering on water which has left much of the country in drought."

A man in the crowd, who wanted only to be called Tim, said he had travelled up from the fire-ravaged South Coast, where his family lives.

"I’ve just driven up from Narooma. I drove down to rescue family stuck in the evacuation centre. I drove through the towns from Canberra down. You drive for hours. Everything is dead. Everything is burnt. I’ve got a seven-month old baby and it breaks my heart."

A Penrith man named Steven said he had attended because he was "sick of not doing anything".

"I felt like this was at least doing something. We have had so much inaction. Our government both state and federal have been embarrassing in their response. Instead of just tweeting I wanted to physically do something."

Ning Ning, who moved to Brisbane from China last year, is visiting Sydney with her son and parents. She didn’t expect the protests, but isn’t surprised, given the severity of the fire crisis.

"[The fires] are terrible. A lot of animals died," she said. "The government need to do something. I can see the people are angry. If it was in China, the government would control the fires very quickly.

"But in China, we couldn’t have this," she said, pointing to the protestors marching by.

Protests also took place in other Australian capital cities.

Vegans, Climate Activists and Ning Ning. What a fucken disgrace this world has become

Last edited by a moderator:

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Because rallies and protests always make a difference..

If it ain't profitable to the 1% then its a waste of time and energy!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The weather was fucking shit today.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only a few people on Twitter blame climate change, msm isn’t saying explicitly that it was climate change. So you can’t say msm is pushing a climate change agenda.

@Hacky McAxe

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
More than 30,000 protesters brushed off hot and humid conditions to voice their displeasure at the federal government's handling of the bushfire crisis and its attitude towards climate change.

The event in Sydney's CBD was set up a few weeks ago by Uni Students for Climate Justice, in conjunction with Extinction Rebellion.

Thousands attended a rally at Town Hall in Sydney's CBD to demand action on climate change.

The marchers were moving from Town Hall to Parliament House. Organisers were hoping for a larger crowd than at the early December protests, which attracted roughly 20,000 to the same location.

Inspector Gary Coffey said that the number this time around was "more than 30,000".

Inspector Coffey said the crowd was “well-behaved” on its long march from Town Hall, past Parliament House and back to Hyde Park, where it disbanded.

Today’s turnout eclipses crowd-sizes at the most recent two climate protests, but is less than the record 80,000 who packed out the Domain for the School Climate Strike last September.

It's estimated that more than 30,000 people took to the streets in Sydney on Friday.

After a march lasting close to an hour, Friday’s march ended outside Hyde Park’s Archibald Fountain, where protesters sat on the grass, listening to music and dance performances.

Protesters chanted, "Hey hey, ho ho ScoMo has got to go" as speakers climbed Town Hall’s side steps, and later moved on to "The liar from the shire, the country is on fire".

She was given a move-on order by police while protesting outside Kirribilli House last September. Her hope is that Friday's protest will create change.

"[I hope] it attracts a lot of attention gets our Prime Minister to move and start thinking about change from fossil fuels to renewables," she said.

"I stand in front of you today bloody angry," she said. "I don’t think I have ever been this angry in my life."

She said she was determined to do whatever it took to turn the "climate crisis" around.

Thousands of protesters rally in front of Sydney Town Hall calling for action on climate change.

"Leadership is totally lacking in our Prime Minister and this government," she said.

"Scott Morrison and his government are cowardly. They are dishonest. They are completely incompetent. They have behaved like climate criminals. And they are led by Scotty From Marketing."

Senator Faruqi used a disparaging nickname for Mr Morrison, referring to his time at Tourism Australia.

She said a royal commission into bushfires was just the start, and that climate activists needed to be bolder and more radical in the future.

"Out-of-control bushfires are sweeping across the state - destroying thousands of hectares, houses, and lives," the event description said on Facebook.

"These fires, heatwaves, and droughts are not just unprecedented - they're the direct result of decades of climate destruction at the hands of fossil fuel loving politicians.

"The climate crisis has compounded hundreds of years of land mismanagement since invasion and decades of profiteering on water which has left much of the country in drought."

A man in the crowd, who wanted only to be called Tim, said he had travelled up from the fire-ravaged South Coast, where his family lives.

"I’ve just driven up from Narooma. I drove down to rescue family stuck in the evacuation centre. I drove through the towns from Canberra down. You drive for hours. Everything is dead. Everything is burnt. I’ve got a seven-month old baby and it breaks my heart."

A Penrith man named Steven said he had attended because he was "sick of not doing anything".

"I felt like this was at least doing something. We have had so much inaction. Our government both state and federal have been embarrassing in their response. Instead of just tweeting I wanted to physically do something."

Ning Ning, who moved to Brisbane from China last year, is visiting Sydney with her son and parents. She didn’t expect the protests, but isn’t surprised, given the severity of the fire crisis.

"[The fires] are terrible. A lot of animals died," she said. "The government need to do something. I can see the people are angry. If it was in China, the government would control the fires very quickly.

"But in China, we couldn’t have this," she said, pointing to the protestors marching by.

Vegans, Climate Activists and Ning Ning. What a fucken disgrace this world has become
All the men will be going home to their wives asking if their bf will allow them to sleep in her bed tonight.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well I think the Doggies should get Climate Change as their major sponsor.. 30000+ to every home game would be great.. :grimacing:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you have a problem with Pam a protesting for change in the hope of saving our futures, then you are a fucking moron!
The only thing worse then a corrupt, spineless, ignorant leader, is a bunch of fucking morons following him and agreeing with his lack of policy and action on the very thing that will determine our futures.
If you are still a climate change sceptic after what we are witnessing our country right now, you are either completely fucking stupid, or a psychopath.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Should have at least gotten a comment from nong nong

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If you have a problem with Pam a protesting for change in the hope of saving our futures, then you are a fucking moron!
The only thing worse then a corrupt, spineless, ignorant leader, is a bunch of fucking morons following him and agreeing with his lack of policy and action on the very thing that will determine our futures.
If you are still a climate change sceptic after what we are witnessing our country right now, you are either completely fucking stupid, or a psychopath.
Thanks for your input Greta

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You'd have to be a fuckin Moron to follow the rest of the sheep to marching in the street, disrupting your fellow countrymen's income and dragging or letting your kids attend a rally they have know fucking idea about. So our PM is the issue? Why dont these ***** use there brains an say get 30,000 of them to parliament house, chain themselves together around the building. They'll make the news. No they march in city streets where they fuck everyone elses day. To have the hide to think the rest of us dont know that what goes up, must come down.
How many of those that attended the rally would be ready to give up there cars, never set foot inside a bus or train? Ill tell you, Zero. Thats because every single one of them is a fuckin hypocrite.

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You little indoctrinated fool.

Greta, go home, take mamas top off and get back on to the boob

Curash

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

What we need to do is firstly, send all these vegans to the bush and throw them up onto the trees.

Secondly, we need to send these climate activists into the bush with fire fighting gear on and garden hoses.

Thirdly, we need to send these fire bug arsonists in to light up the ***** in my point 1 & 2.

Lastly, send in the farmers to eliminate the arsonists.

End result. Happier and Healthier Australia.

God Bless

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You'd have to be a fuckin Moron to follow the rest of the sheep to marching in the street, disrupting your fellow countrymen's income and dragging or letting your kids attend a rally they have know fucking idea about. So our PM is the issue? Why dont these ***** use there brains an say get 30,000 of them to parliament house, chain themselves together around the building. They'll make the news. No they march in city streets where they fuck everyone elses day. To have the hide to think the rest of us dont know that what goes up, must come down.
How many of those that attended the rally would be ready to give up there cars, never set foot inside a bus or train? Ill tell you, Zero. Thats because every single one of them is a fuckin hypocrite.
Oh no traffic was disrupted. Cry me a fucking river. Fucking up people's days?? Cry an even bigger one. How about fucking the future of your children so that they can sell out and bleed our country dry while grossly mismanaging it?!!!
Do you really live in such a tiny bubble that you can't see what's going on in this country and around the world????? Governments worldwide are selling off every asset a country has, at the expense of the environment that sustains us! There will be a breaking point, a point of no return, and we are very close to that point. How can you possibly be so ignorant and selfish that you can't recognise this?!!!!
And just to make this very clear, financial chaos will very closely follow the environmental disasters we are all facing. This isn't conspiracy theory at work, their have been many models that clearly predict that this will follow.
But sure, laugh and call me Greta, to me this is a massive compliment. This young girl will likely go down in history, while people with opinions such as yours will be completely forgotten.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So disrupting traffic at parliament house is ok, but not in Sydney?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What we need to do is firstly, send all these vegans to the bush and throw them up onto the trees.

Secondly, we need to send these climate activists into the bush with fire fighting gear on and garden hoses.

Thirdly, we need to send these fire bug arsonists in to light up the ***** in my point 1 & 2.

Lastly, send in the farmers to eliminate the arsonists.

End result. Happier and Healthier Australia.

God Bless
Your a moron. Seriously.