Sutton Appointed again to bulldogs vs Rabbitohs game.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My feelings on Sutton are well known.

Im sure everyone remembers the night Alex McKinnon was seriously injured in a tackle that ended his career.

My over riding memory of that night was that while Alex was being treated, Cam Smith was in Sutton’s ear saying it wasn’t that bad over and over.

That showed me something about both of them. At least the MRP did their job.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’ve watched the replay back of that game.

Reynolds was 40 metres out taking the field goal shot. Graham stuffed up badly, he didn’t need to dive at his legs. If he would have accepted his mistake in the foul play the fans wouldn’t have blown up.

It also highlights Des’ poor judgement in making Graham captain. He has that blow up in him. You need a cool and calm captain in high pressure moments.

Looking back at it now Sutton got the decision correct. It was Graham’s reaction that set off our fans. If he kept his calm there wouldn’t have been the ugly scenes after the full time whistle was blown.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Reynolds was 40 metres out taking the field goal shot. Graham stuffed up badly, he didn’t need to dive at his legs. If he would have accepted his mistake in the foul play the fans wouldn’t have blown up.

It also highlights Des’ poor judgement in making Graham captain. He has that blow up in him. You need a cool and calm captain in high pressure moments.

Looking back at it now Sutton got the decision correct. It was Graham’s reaction that set off our fans. If he kept his calm there wouldn’t have been the ugly scenes after the full time whistle was blown.
Adam Reynolds milked it, the commentators didn’t notice till adam laid on the ground. He wasn’t Injured and yes Graham made it worse. And the fans topped it off. But I have always disliked Reynolds for that, watch him every game he is a massive sook.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If i saw Sutton on the opposite footpath while i was driving my car in the opposite direction, i would happily cross traffic to run the CU Next Tuesday down.
I suspect a gambler that gets screwed out of a win will do that one day.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Look last year when I went to the good Friday game it was clear as day that Sutton was targeting us for whatever he could and wasn’t targeting south’s for the exact same things.

Always said it, our team is capable of beating anyone of our defence is rock solid and we complete our sets 90% and above. We have the mobile side to get around teams just need to continue the confidence from last week. If we beat south’s and roosters then let me tell you, we will definitely won’t be a easy team beat anymore.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Harry Grant learnt this from the master of them - Cameron Smith.
Prior to Cameron Smith, the master of forward passes from dummy half was Kerrod Walters. The little short passes from there to a forward running close to the play the ball is very hard to pick. You have to watch the direction of the hands and not the ball.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Adam Reynolds milked it, the commentators didn’t notice till adam laid on the ground. He wasn’t Injured and yes Graham made it worse. And the fans topped it off. But I have always disliked Reynolds for that, watch him every game he is a massive sook.
I don’t think he milked it. He missed a couple of games from the knee injury from that contact.

Having watched the replay it is one of the most low IQ brain snap plays up there with Josh Reynolds throwing the pass vs Titans. Graham dived at his legs which was extremely low IQ.

Graham is too emotional and hot headed to be captain. He blew up when Sutton made the correct call and our club paid the price for it. And still is with how the refs perceive the club.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This was the unravel moment of Hasler’s tenure. He picked a hot headed captain who could not keep his cool in big games.

In the 2012 GF he bites Slater. 2014 he leads with the head on Burgess. 2015 GF rematch goes for a low IQ charge down diving at the legs of Reynolds. Gets penalised fairly and loses it with the refs, then some of our fan base follows the captain into a disaster.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well we will be hard pressed to win under sutton. If you look at our record with him it is absolutely abysmal.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sutton's penalty ratio with us is 0.88, that means for every 100 penalties he gives our opposition in the games he has reffed us, he gives us 88. Not awful right? Could be worse?

His penalty ratio with souffs is 1.3. This is the highest ratio by an active ref in favour of a team.

What the stat hides is the quality of the penalties. Do they come near the end of a tackle count? Will Souffs get some of these on Friday? Of the penalties we get, how many will be on the first tackle, or with seconds left on the clock, or when the game is basically decided? I guess we'll have to see.
There's loads more ways now than just penalties to piggyback teams.
- Positioning of the defensive line. One team is constantly back 12 or 13m while their opponent is only getting back to 10m (via refs discretion). 2-3m gives a prop a great chance to add momentum which in turn can build fatigue stoping them.

- Differing interpretation of how quickly a tackler should be able to hold the attacking player down. Setting your line is less of an issue with a few extra seconds and it's easier to avoid off side penalties and assess the potential options Ava to the attacking team and adjust defensively.

- A lot of the time you'll hear refs screaming at one team to "hold" in defence, or basically when they can move forward to make a tackle. Often one team is getting yelled at to hold until the dh gets the pass away and the other team is allowed to take off as soon as the tackled player plants the ball. And that's often combined with the 10m vs 13m defensive line difference.

The combination of these three rules alone can make it look like one team is playing the ball super quickly. The team getting the best treatment are going to dominate post contact metres and generate fatigue more easily in their opponents. But these three are the main ones I look for when I switch on a non dogs game to judge who I think will get all the calls and it's usually apparent within a couple of minutes if one team is on a 'must not win list'

But over time most clear cut rules have been altered to incorporate grey areas. The refs can take the same exact infringement committed by both teams and penalize it differently on an increasing range of things.

I know there's plenty who think those suspicious of refs for any reason are paranoid. And I wish I could get back to the days before I suspected that refs are going into games with instructions to push for certain margins etc for the NRL's gambling partner. I actually used to enjoy every game I could find time to watch. Now I'm not even too upset if I don't get to see our own games. Just feels like shit seeing us reffed out of it, or even teams I give zero shits about get screwed by refs

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fuck him.
It’s going to be even more satisfying when we bitchslap his heroes, so undeniably, that even he can’t help.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He getting a bit old isn’t he. Surely he throw the whistle away soon

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He getting a bit old isn’t he. Surely he throw the whistle away soon
He was 45 in October. I gave up reffing Junior League at 38 and 8 months.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think him rorting games is keeping his pockets well fed
I knew a few reffing colleagues in my era who had a major falling out with particular teams, over decisions. I was in that boat too. The secretary of the referees as much as possible tried to keep that team and that ref apart.

This is what needs to happen with Sutton. You don’t need to be Einstein to know when that happened. An average of one win per 8 games since 2015 tells the story.

Last edited:

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Since you went back and watched it can you go back and watch the Melbourne game the following week, when Cronk took the field goal to win the game and he copped the same thing and was injured but no penalty cause the field goal went in.