Sutton - “Difficulties adapting to the club’s defensive structure”

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or show some urgency... Players like Okunbur just stand and watch without moving like when he was next to Flanagan.. Then you had the Morrin/Mahoney try.. And of course Perham was never within 15 metres of the play.

If we had a pack full of Preston's we'd be one of the best defensive teams in the comp.
Perham was doing chin ups on the crossbar ..then flys in and overruns the player.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Or show some urgency... Players like Okunbur just stand and watch without moving like when he was next to Flanagan.. Then you had the Morrin/Mahoney try.. And of course Perham was never within 15 metres of the play.

If we had a pack full of Preston's we'd be one of the best defensive teams in the comp.
or just three Prestons would help!

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Perham was doing chin ups on the crossbar ..then flys in and overruns the player.
Anything to avoid putting his body on the line? Have we managed to hold anyone up over the line this year?

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Seriously, I thought all the pea hearts would have been weeded out already, however it seems to be a pre-requisite to being signed by the 'Dogs at the moment. Small heart, small balls... sign here!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Goal line defence is the biggest problem. They weren’t sliding across as one nor trusting their man inside. There were big gaps out wide last week and that’s been a consistent pattern all year. Not sure that’s all on the players. That’s a coaching problem imo.
Imagine you have a new defensive system and coach and you look over and Knockonbor (and a few others) is standing next to you every single week. How much confidence do you have. It's not just a player problem. CC our long term coach for sure but he needs to adjust his coaching selections and tactics to regain some confidence and footy enjoyment out of these guys.

Wonder if RFM (Club Captain) being publicly punted is going to further erode player effort and working together.

All this culling has gotta be done but CC has to make statements with Oki and a few others as well who arent executing.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Interesting stats.
It goes to show that if your defence can scramble and you have a very good defensive 1 on 1 FB, it goes a long way to cover for miss tackles.

Both Perham or Averillo are not good defensively. Avo at least can attack well.

If you remember 2012 and ignore the attack from Barba, you'll realise he was equally as good to prevent tries as he was scoring them. That won him the Dally M.
Good point on Barba. Up until that year he had really struggled with his defense. It was commented on almost every game how his defense had developed to match his ridiculous attacking ability. Had many one on one try saves that were very impressive. By far though his biggest attributes were his support play and his organization from the back. You would always see him screaming and pointing where players needed to be. The big difference between real fullbacks and blokes that can catch a ball and run fast…

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a defensive structure at the bulldogs? All we see is missed tackles and east tries scored against us

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘In the dark’: Bulldogs captain ‘disappointed’ with exit talk amid club clean-out

Staff Writers from News.com.au
July 25th, 2023 9:58 am

Bulldogs club captain Raymond Faitala-Mariner has been left blindsided by news leaking to the media that he is free to negotiate with rival NRL clubs despite being contracted for the next two seasons.

The 29-year-old was signed to a fresh three-year contract at the Bulldogs last July, however Canterbury officials are now desperate to make change and have determined he is free to leave the club.

The Daily Telegraph reports the forward’s potential exit could allow the club to enter the player market on November 1 with a giant cheque book, capable of landing a big fish such as Payne Haas or Tino Fa’asuamaleaui.

However the paper has also reported that both Faitala-Mariner and his manager Ernie Santone are yet to be informed of the brutal development by the Bulldogs – who currently sit in second last position on the NRL ladder following a 44-18 loss to the Panthers on Sunday.

“I have spoken to Ray and he is in the dark just as much as I am at this stage,” Santone told The Daily Telegraph.

“I have had no official contact from Canterbury to say he has permission to leave or talk to other clubs so l am disappointed with all the talk coming out of the club.

“From my point of view, we signed a new three-year contract 12 months ago.

“So this is all coming from the club because there’s no reason why we would be looking anywhere else, that’s for sure.

“The fact I haven’t been told, one way or the other if it’s true or not, or if there is a denial, I’m a little perplexed by.”

The Bulldogs have confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that Faitala-Mariner is free to negotiate with rival clubs.

Santone also declared he was “highly disappointed” to read news reports in recent days that the club has “regretted making Ray the club captain” - a decision that was only made in January by the club’s new coach Cameron Ciraldo.

Reports have suggested Faitala-Mariner had complained about the training loads at the Bulldogs in recent months to the club’s coaching staff – however it is unclear if the veteran forward was simply passing on complaints from other members of the team in his role as club captain, of if there were personal grievances at play.

Santone denied that Faitala-Mariner had complained about the intense training program at the club.

Speaking on NRL 360 on Tuesday night, journalist Buzz Rothfield shed more light on the training workload issue at the Dogs.

“I spoke to Cameron today and I think it’s a little culture problem and it’s not just on the football field,” Rothfield said.

“Cameron’s come from the Panthers and they are as professional you can get in prep, they turn up, they arrive early and finish late.

“His head of sport science Travis Touma comes from the Roosters and Souths and (those teams) won three comps with Travis, so what Cameron is trying to do is lift Canterbury to how the Roosters did it and how Penrith do it.

“Most of the players are going along with it but some are struggling. They can’t cope with it. They are just not used to the intensity and the demands … I’m hearing that.”

Rothfield insisted the club’s top stars were not complaining about the workloads.

“I think if Cameron Ciraldo would pay attention to a couple of complaining players if it was the likes of a Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Burton, Reed Mahoney, but they’ve all come from really strong systems so they like what he is trying to do … but some of the boys can’t cope with it,” Rothfield said.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
‘In the dark’: Bulldogs captain ‘disappointed’ with exit talk amid club clean-out

Staff Writers from News.com.au
July 25th, 2023 9:58 am

Bulldogs club captain Raymond Faitala-Mariner has been left blindsided by news leaking to the media that he is free to negotiate with rival NRL clubs despite being contracted for the next two seasons.

The 29-year-old was signed to a fresh three-year contract at the Bulldogs last July, however Canterbury officials are now desperate to make change and have determined he is free to leave the club.

The Daily Telegraph reports the forward’s potential exit could allow the club to enter the player market on November 1 with a giant cheque book, capable of landing a big fish such as Payne Haas or Tino Fa’asuamaleaui.

However the paper has also reported that both Faitala-Mariner and his manager Ernie Santone are yet to be informed of the brutal development by the Bulldogs – who currently sit in second last position on the NRL ladder following a 44-18 loss to the Panthers on Sunday.

“I have spoken to Ray and he is in the dark just as much as I am at this stage,” Santone told The Daily Telegraph.

“I have had no official contact from Canterbury to say he has permission to leave or talk to other clubs so l am disappointed with all the talk coming out of the club.

“From my point of view, we signed a new three-year contract 12 months ago.

“So this is all coming from the club because there’s no reason why we would be looking anywhere else, that’s for sure.

“The fact I haven’t been told, one way or the other if it’s true or not, or if there is a denial, I’m a little perplexed by.”

The Bulldogs have confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that Faitala-Mariner is free to negotiate with rival clubs.

Santone also declared he was “highly disappointed” to read news reports in recent days that the club has “regretted making Ray the club captain” - a decision that was only made in January by the club’s new coach Cameron Ciraldo.

Reports have suggested Faitala-Mariner had complained about the training loads at the Bulldogs in recent months to the club’s coaching staff – however it is unclear if the veteran forward was simply passing on complaints from other members of the team in his role as club captain, of if there were personal grievances at play.

Santone denied that Faitala-Mariner had complained about the intense training program at the club.

Speaking on NRL 360 on Tuesday night, journalist Buzz Rothfield shed more light on the training workload issue at the Dogs.

“I spoke to Cameron today and I think it’s a little culture problem and it’s not just on the football field,” Rothfield said.

“Cameron’s come from the Panthers and they are as professional you can get in prep, they turn up, they arrive early and finish late.

“His head of sport science Travis Touma comes from the Roosters and Souths and (those teams) won three comps with Travis, so what Cameron is trying to do is lift Canterbury to how the Roosters did it and how Penrith do it.

“Most of the players are going along with it but some are struggling. They can’t cope with it. They are just not used to the intensity and the demands … I’m hearing that.”

Rothfield insisted the club’s top stars were not complaining about the workloads.

“I think if Cameron Ciraldo would pay attention to a couple of complaining players if it was the likes of a Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Burton, Reed Mahoney, but they’ve all come from really strong systems so they like what he is trying to do … but some of the boys can’t cope with it,” Rothfield said.

Just another Rothfield “put shit on Gould/Bulldogs” article. Best ignored.

Always a Bulldog

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
I think for once it’s a fair point. How can people claim the training is too hard when Penrith would be going just as hard. You will lose people along the way that don’t buy into the cultural shift.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This article stats, Bulldogs confirmed to Daily Telegraph --- WTF i dont believe the Club has confirmed this to a Newspaper ...

"The Bulldogs have confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that Faitala-Mariner is free to negotiate with rival clubs."

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Hey TT is Brandon Clarke only on loan to the Qld Capras as he is still on the official NRL Dog's top30 list for this year??

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I would not call it a “defensive structure“, that conjures up images of chess like strategies of placing individual players in pre-rehearsed specific positions on the field. My view is that it is a system, that regardless of who is playing where, can adapt quickly to the situations being faced. As someone noted in a post earlier today, Penrith’s first line defence still misses and has infective tackles, but they recover quickly and effectively.

Previously posted;

I strongly suggest that if you haven’t already that you listen to the 6 Tackles with Gus podcast on 14th July. In it he talks a lot about statistics, what coaches look for that aren’t the media “pumped up“ measures, things like high intensity efforts, number of kick chases, support plays, being in the right position etc.

On defence Gould talks about the good defensive teams staying “connected”, how they respond to a break, how quickly they “reconnect“, keeping the spacing even, moving at the same speed, in the same direction, up and back, side to side etc. The idea idea of running attacking patterns, plays or shapes is to drag someone out of position, get them to move out/back/left when the rest are moving in/forward/right, get them to hesitate, basically break the connection between adjoining players.

After listening to that I went back and had a look at a few of our games and it sticks out like dogs balls, we get disconnected, all of things above happen at some point or other during the game. Then I watched a few Penrith games and they stay connected, on the rare occasion when the defence is breached they very quickly reconnect. They move together, if they need to slide, they all slide, if they need to advance they all advance, if they need to retreat they all retreat, together, always at the same speed and always staying connected. That doesn’t happen overnight, it takes lots of training and discipline amongst the players, self belief as well as belief in your team mates.

Ciraldo’s mystery defence system? Stay connected, it’s that simple.

Always a Bulldog

Reactions: J_B

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
The old guard were soft and now are struggling to step up to the competitive level. How interesting to be found out in this way. You would think you would be ready to vomit at every training session until you became super fit. But no, whinge and whine like a pussy - no wonder they are being given releases. Who the hell will take them with this attitude exposed?