Sutton - “Difficulties adapting to the club’s defensive structure”

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've said this before...

Getting both Tino & Hass is achievable.
Offer them both 1.05 million over 8 years and the foundation for our success is set. Front load the deals as much as you can and watch the premierships come.

JUST DO IT.

1. Crichton
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. Skelton
5. Foxx
6. Burton
7. Sexytime
8. Tino
9. Mahoney
10. Hass
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Oloapu

14. Taaffe
15. King
16. Hughes
17. Edwards
18. Patolo
Etc
Etc
Frankly, regardless of what we calculate, both players will stay with their current clubs I believe

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if it is something going awry at training - we seem to be copping 90%of injuries outside of game time. We simply aren't gonna compete or be able to defend when we have up to 7 of our 17 out injured week to week. We already had low depth in the front row. These injuries aren't helping us . So we need to look at why they are occurring

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
On reflection Yesterday the club was unable to select - Jac, Kikau, Preston, Sexton, Thompson, Patolo, Sutton, Casey, Burns, Oloapu, EQW, Kautaga, Hoffman and Pele from their top 30 - 14 unavailable! Half would have been in yesterdays team if availab

Explains why the club - not just fg, struggled yesterday - doesnt excuse the diabolical defence but is significant.
I don't think EQW should be included in ANY list, he is not first grade material. I think someone lost a bet and the Bulldogs got stuck with him.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well if it's the Penrith defence it can't be that great if we scored 18 against them lol
Interestingly they had almost twice as many ineffective tackles as we did, and though we had 52 missed tackles, which is disgraceful, they had 39. Both teams had 84% tackle efficiency.

And this isn't unusual for Penrith, they have by far the least points against in the comp, 236. The three next best teams, Bonks, Warriors, and Strom are in the 340s. BUT Penrith does miss a lot of tackles, and make plenty of what are judged to be ineffective tackles. They are actually quite ok with this, and it works for them because of their defensive structure. They back each other up, they are fit, they scramble really well, they defend as a team.

CC is trying to get us to do something like it, but the players aren't getting it or are not capable. At half time our PTB speed was only just over 3 seconds, so Penriff weren't even holding us down in the ruck, their defense is that good against our poor attack that they didn't need to.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I wonder if it is something going awry at training - we seem to be copping 90%of injuries outside of game time. We simply aren't gonna compete or be able to defend when we have up to 7 of our 17 out injured week to week. We already had low depth in the front row. These injuries aren't helping us . So we need to look at why they are occurring
A few injuries can be bad luck, but the dogs currently have a trend, and its down to poor training/conditioning.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
punt the ***** that cant do what they're being asked, and bring ones that can

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Interestingly they had almost twice as many ineffective tackles as we did, and though we had 52 missed tackles, which is disgraceful, they had 39. Both teams had 84% tackle efficiency.

And this isn't unusual for Penrith, they have by far the least points against in the comp, 236. The three next best teams, Bonks, Warriors, and Strom are in the 340s. BUT Penrith does miss a lot of tackles, and make plenty of what are judged to be ineffective tackles. They are actually quite ok with this, and it works for them because of their defensive structure. They back each other up, they are fit, they scramble really well, they defend as a team.

CC is trying to get us to do something like it, but the players aren't getting it or are not capable. At half time our PTB speed was only just over 3 seconds, so Penriff weren't even holding us down in the ruck, their defense is that good against our poor attack that they didn't need to.
Plus their average points let in is 13 (IIRC) We scored 18.

Maybe the system will work with Kiks and Critta next year?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Plus their average points let in is 13 (IIRC) We scored 18.

Maybe the system will work with Kiks and Critta next year?
The evidence says that they can work well with that system. Trouble is, where are we going to find more players who can also work with the system? Doesn't seem like too many of the current squad can manage it...

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The evidence says that they can work well with that system. Trouble is, where are we going to find more players who can also work with the system? Doesn't seem like too many of the current squad can manage it...
And the available talent pool off contract aren't impressive at all.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How hard is it to adapt to our defensive structure?

Just take your position behind the white line and wait for the conversion FFS. Not hard
Well , if you’re asked to play a position that your not suited to ( Prop ) then you’re going to have real difficulties especially when you don’t have the size or heart

No coincidence that Sutton and RFM who have been asked to up play up front are the one having a sook and going from our defensive fragility why on earth would we want to keep them when all they want to do is sook when things are little hard .

What great influence to younger players from your most experienced leaders to show them instead of working harder , just complain .

Ciraldo has come from the panthers and he’d know a thing or so about intensity but it goes to show you the calibre of players we have at the moment ..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Well , if you’re asked to play a position that your not suited to ( Prop ) then you’re going to have real difficulties especially when you don’t have the size or heart

No coincidence that Sutton and RFM who have been asked to up play up front are the one having a sook and going from our defensive fragility why on earth would we want to keep them when all they want to do is sook when things are little hard .

What great influence to younger players from your most experienced leaders to show them instead of working harder , just complain .

Ciraldo has come from the panthers and he’d know a thing or so about intensity but it goes to show you the calibre of players we have at the moment ..
Even TPJ doesn't want to play prop (according to all rumours).

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I wonder if the 'system' is what made Jackson retire.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

This system clearly works fine as it is used right throughout the Panthers setup. From juniors through to NRL. The problem is. All panthers players coming through have been doing this for years. When you put this process into a totally new playing group it is a huge fail. At some point adjustments surely need to be made.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think EQW should be included in ANY list, he is not first grade material. I think someone lost a bet and the Bulldogs got stuck with him.
He looks very slow to be a centre - but in top 30

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
On reflection Yesterday the club was unable to select - Jac, Kikau, Preston, Sexton, Thompson, Patolo, Sutton, Casey, Burns, Oloapu, EQW, Kautaga, Hoffman and Pele from their top 30 - 14 unavailable! Half would have been in yesterdays team if availab

Explains why the club - not just fg, struggled yesterday - doesnt excuse the diabolical defence but is significant.
EQW & Hoffman lol Penrith would have scored more with those two

This is the excuses we are talking about EQW and Hoffman are not losses

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Excuse FC it’s like saying Thompson is a massive loss the bloke is crap

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s just a nice way to spin that he wants out of this dumpster fire of a season we are having. With Lane’s injury I wouldnt be surprised if he angles for a move to Parramatta.
If we can get this dud, RFM & Thompson off the books we should have more than enough to sign Haas and/or Tino pretty easily
Before we sign any more players, I want them to sit in a video session with Me, Gus and CC and analyse where we went wrong defensively.

After this interview, I will make my recommendation to Gus as to whether we pursue them or not.

If they cannot figure out for themselves how to fix defence, they have no IQ and not wanted here.