Surprising reason Eels, Bulldogs are winning most new NRL fans

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Penrith Panthers may be wowing on the field with their third premiership title in a row but it’s the Eels and Bulldogs that have been winning the most new fans owing to population growth.

Roy Morgan research revealed that the Parramatta Eels are Sydney’s most supported NRL club, while the Bulldogs supporter base is growing the fastest.

Both clubs’ rising popularity can be attributed to multiple factors, but experts revealed rapid housing development in the traditional heartland of each club has played a role.

MORE: Inside the glamour homes of NRL’s new champions

These regions are among the most popular for newly arrived migrants due to the larger supply of newly built properties, along with expanding infrastructure and job opportunities.

And it’s this demographic that appears to be boosting the fan base for each team, especially the Parramatta Eels.

NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final

The Panthers’ recent success on the field has not translated to as many new fans as other clubs in faster growing areas. Picture: David Swift
The club reported in 2020 that one in five of their supporters were born overseas, with those of Indian origin becoming one of the fastest growing demographics supporting the club.

Census data shows the Greater Parramatta region is one of the most popular areas for Indian-born migrants in the country.

It is one of the few Sydney regions where significant amounts of new housing supply have been built due to ongoing high-rise apartment development.
Roy Morgan reported the Eels had a 30 per cent rise in the size of its supporter base over the past year, an increase of about 140,000 fans.
It was the second highest growth among all clubs behind the Canterbury Bulldogs at 33.6 per cent.

The Parramatta Eels remains the club with the NRL’s longest Premiership drought, having not won a Grand Final since 1986.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs were Sydney’s second most supported club, but the supporter base grew by just 3.4 per cent.

The Dragons, Roosters and Panthers rounded out the top five most supported teams in Sydney.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Penrith Panthers may be wowing on the field with their third premiership title in a row but it’s the Eels and Bulldogs that have been winning the most new fans owing to population growth.

Roy Morgan research revealed that the Parramatta Eels are Sydney’s most supported NRL club, while the Bulldogs supporter base is growing the fastest.

Both clubs’ rising popularity can be attributed to multiple factors, but experts revealed rapid housing development in the traditional heartland of each club has played a role.

MORE: Inside the glamour homes of NRL’s new champions

These regions are among the most popular for newly arrived migrants due to the larger supply of newly built properties, along with expanding infrastructure and job opportunities.

And it’s this demographic that appears to be boosting the fan base for each team, especially the Parramatta Eels.

NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final

The Panthers’ recent success on the field has not translated to as many new fans as other clubs in faster growing areas. Picture: David Swift
The club reported in 2020 that one in five of their supporters were born overseas, with those of Indian origin becoming one of the fastest growing demographics supporting the club.

Census data shows the Greater Parramatta region is one of the most popular areas for Indian-born migrants in the country.

It is one of the few Sydney regions where significant amounts of new housing supply have been built due to ongoing high-rise apartment development.
Roy Morgan reported the Eels had a 30 per cent rise in the size of its supporter base over the past year, an increase of about 140,000 fans.
It was the second highest growth among all clubs behind the Canterbury Bulldogs at 33.6 per cent.

The Parramatta Eels remains the club with the NRL’s longest Premiership drought, having not won a Grand Final since 1986.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs were Sydney’s second most supported club, but the supporter base grew by just 3.4 per cent.

The Dragons, Roosters and Panthers rounded out the top five most supported teams in Sydney.
I hope that parra get all the Nasheds, 1 is more than enough for us.

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I hope that parra get all the Nasheds, 1 is more than enough for us.
Nasheed slipped through the cracks..he went from bowling leg spin and drinking Dilmah tea to smoking shisha,drinking Arabica bean coffee and supporting the bulldogs..he has left his family as a disgrace in the curry drenched hallways of westmeads crowded unit blocks..all because he supports the bulldogs

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lack of Penrith's popularity highlighted this finals season. Couldn't fill out stadiums despite 4 years of amazing success. What will their support look like in the lean years?
Broncos seemed to have more fans at the stadium on grand final night.. bewildering considering Penrith is a Sydney team with recent success.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lack of Penrith's popularity highlighted this finals season. Couldn't fill out stadiums despite 4 years of amazing success. What will their support look like in the lean years?
rubbish lol. Just remember half of these supporters for Penrith are kids lol

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
rubbish lol. Just remember half of these supporters for Penrith are kids lol
I have never seen a penriff supporter in Bankstown only after they’ve went b2b in 2021 and 2022

- they cant fill stadiums
- they dont know how to celebrate in their area

All bandwagoners who don’t deserve it!

If the NRLOL gave us a fair chance, their sales would sky rocket but they want to pick and choose

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have never seen a penriff supporter in Bankstown only after they’ve went b2b in 2021 and 2022

If the NRLOL gave us a fair chance, their sales would sky rocket but they want to pick and choose
Yep I went to the Penrith hot spot where they had all their so called fans there… I live not far away and the amount of lebs that came with their drums was funny as fk. When the dogs win their next premiership you wait and see Bankstown and Belmore lol

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

A bulldogs Grand Final win literally results in blocking off streets and suburbs - it’s probably the most epic fan base response to winning a competition across any code in Australia.

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bulldogs Grand Final win literally results in blocking off streets and suburbs - it’s probably the most epic fan base response to winning a competition across any code in Australia.
Yep I went to the Penrith hot spot where they had all their so called fans there… I live not far away and the amount of lebs that came with their drums was funny as fk. When the dogs win their next premiership you wait and see Bankstown and Belmore lol
I definitely agree

When we advanced into all of our grand finals, Belmore never slept, it was a suburb that never slept. Bankstown was decked out in Blue and White, supporters beeping and screaming never saw a shop or supporter that wasn’t backing the boys

What do you get in penriff??? a butcher making penriff coloured sausages [emoji24]

The fact they only got 35k for a prelim is still disgusting

Brisbane filled up that stadium Sunday night

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need our own 40000 seater stadium in liverpool.
Exactly! And the dogs junior base to be extended to that region. A stadium is a must and liverpool is the perfect spot. There needs to be a push for it surely Liverpool area would love a stadium, why should Parramatta have a stadium and not Liverpool and it's the 3rd city of Sydney.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The clubs that have won the most recent premierships wouldn't be able to fill out a stadium with their combined fans.

Panthers
Storm
Roosters.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I definitely agree

When we advanced into all of our grand finals, Belmore never slept, it was a suburb that never slept. Bankstown was decked out in Blue and White, supporters beeping and screaming never saw a shop or supporter that wasn’t backing the boys

What do you get in penriff??? a butcher making penriff coloured sausages [emoji24]

this year was way more calmer then their last years win. However more people turned out this year than last. Can’t wait to see our beloved dogs win it as my sons would love it !

Chuppachup

Waterboy
Reaction score
Nasheed slipped through the cracks..he went from bowling leg spin and drinking Dilmah tea to smoking shisha,drinking Arabica bean coffee and supporting the bulldogs..he has left his family as a disgrace in the curry drenched hallways of westmeads crowded unit blocks..all because he supports the bulldogs
He could turn a new leaf like the gangster wannabe brother in slum dog millionaire

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I definitely agree

There is never any doubt about being in Bulldogs territory when you go to Belmore, even in the off season. Lots of Bulldogs murals and decorations in the shops. It's a unique and beautiful place.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there lots of new high rise apartments in the CB district? I haven’t seen much of the area in a long time.

One thing we’ll always have is a strong brand. I mean who doesn’t like a bulldog? Blue and white are also classic colours. In saying that, they point out that the Eels are best supported. Eww slimy eel! Yuck. I guess some people might like the uniqueness of an eel mascot? Or the majority of their fans are from the district. I know that there has been heaps of growth between Seven Hills and Windsor. Iirc Rouse Hill (being at the centre of this growth) is aligned with Parramatta. Heaps of migrants living around those parts.