Suggested Rd 5 Team

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
Results will tell you that Pay pretty clearly picked our strongest team of the season so far. But us couch-experts at home know there is room for a lot more improvement, even at the risk of throwing off everything that just worked for us, by making a big positional change and only having a week to practice it. So that being said, this is the team I think we should field for round 5.

1. Hopoate
2. Meaney
3. Averillo
*4. Holland/Harper
5. DWZ
6. Foran
7. Wakeham
8. Tolman
9. JMK
10. Napa
11. Jackson
12. Elliot
13. Lewis

14. RFM
15. To'omaga
16. Britt
17. Sue

*Forced change due to likely suspension. I feel Holland will likely get the nod, though I worry about his defence. Since we are facing the Morris bros, whoever is the better defender should get the green light imo.

It's probably the most popular opinion on the kennel right now to throw in Wakeham, and I think this configuration makes the most sense. I thought Lewis' kicking game on the weekend was his best yet and something we may miss if left with only with Foran/Wakeham. It also makes sense whilst Foran gains his fitness - we can sub Foran off late in the game for a forward and Lewis can slot into the halves as needed.

Thoughts?

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd have katoa off the bench, aside from that as per programmed

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The only changes will be forced, any other drastic change is probably unfair considering our opponents. Britt has been terrible the last two weeks though and really doesn't deserve selection right now.

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
I'd have katoa off the bench, aside from that as per programmed
I've been wanting Katoa to get a chance for a while, but until Foran gets fit enough for 80min I don't think we should dual-wield JMK/Katoa (even though we could get away with it)

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
  1. Hoppa
  2. Meaney
  3. Averillo
  4. DWZ
  5. Holland (assuming Smith gets a holiday, otherwise Smith)
  6. Foran
  7. Lewis
  8. Tolman
  9. JMK
  10. Too'maga
  11. Jackson
  12. Elliot
  13. RFM
  14. Wakeham
  15. Britt
  16. Nappa
  17. Sue
Nappa needs a wake up call and Too'maga could add some fire in the early part of the game for us. Averillo in the centres but on Forans side and DWZ to the centres with him. Holland to the wing unless Smith available. Wakeham to 14 to get some game time and fresh fast legs later in the game.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wakeham in, Lewis out pls
Harper or Holland in for Smith (if suspended)

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
  1. Hoppa
  2. Meaney
  3. Averillo
  4. DWZ
  5. Holland (assuming Smith gets a holiday, otherwise Smith)
  6. Foran
  7. Lewis
  8. Tolman
  9. JMK
  10. Too'maga
  11. Jackson
  12. Elliot
  13. RFM
  14. Wakeham
  15. Britt
  16. Nappa
  17. Sue
Nappa needs a wake up call and Too'maga could add some fire in the early part of the game for us. Averillo in the centres but on Forans side and DWZ to the centres with him. Holland to the wing unless Smith available. Wakeham to 14 to get some game time and fresh fast legs later in the game.
Harsh on Napa, I thought he was strong against the Dragons, some good carries and strong hits in defense. DWZ should stay on the wing, we need his strong carries to get our sets rolling early, he’s got average catch/pass skills so the simpler the role the better for him

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only changes will be forced, any other drastic change is probably unfair considering our opponents. Britt has been terrible the last two weeks though and really doesn't deserve selection right now.
Yeah what’s happened to Britt recently
I thought he was not too shabby earlier on with some good runs and looking to off load

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Harsh on Napa, I thought he was strong against the Dragons, some good carries and strong hits in defense. DWZ should stay on the wing, we need his strong carries to get our sets rolling early, he’s got average catch/pass skills so the simpler the role the better for him
Maybe, but I dont think he is anywhere near his best form yet and maybe if he come off the bench against his old club after Too'maga started with some aggression, he might go even better. With DWZ, I think he is our best winger but we lack explosiveness in the centres and Smith is a winger not centre. Meaney went ok and uses his speed to bring it back and Holland isn't a bad finisher.

I think Averillo needs to be in the middle of the park more linking up with Foran and is wasted on the wing.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brit was useless. Looked like he was out of breath after 5 mins and couldn't keep up with the pace. Find a cheapie running around in Qcup to replace him.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I've been wanting Katoa to get a chance for a while, but until Foran gets fit enough for 80min I don't think we should dual-wield JMK/Katoa (even though we could get away with it)
We had Holland on the bench for around 65 minutes yesterday, I think we should carry another nine over an outside back. Jmk was gassed after an hour

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
RFM earned himself a starting spot after his last round performance. He absolutely killed it! Did he come off at any point?

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Hoppa
2. DWZ
3. Averillo
4. Holland
5. Meaney
6. Foran
7. Lewis
8. Napa
9. JMK
10. To’omaga
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliott

14. Katoa
15. Tolman
16. Sue
17. Ogden

Tolman offers little at the start of the game when we need to be making a dent in the oppositions pack. Bring him on after 20-25 mins to stiffen up the middle when fatigue sets in.

Katoa off the bench as JMK can’t provide consistent spark from dummy half for the full 80.

DWZ stays on the wing as his kick returns & 2nd tackle carries are vital.

Ogden in for Britt for impact purposes.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Rfm needs to start. He put in good work, and Elliot , need to see Foz and wakeham against the chooks to keep points on offer. As long as Averillo is in an hoppa at fullback the rest are looking ok..!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1. Hopoate
2. Meaney
3. Averillo
4. Holland
5. DWZ
6. Lewis
7. Foran
8. Tolman
9. JMK
10. Napa
11. RFM
12. Jackson
13. Elliott

14. Cogger
15. To'omaga
16. Britt
17. Sue

From what it looks like (that doesn't mean it's 100% true) Harper and Wakeham are on the outer. Harper probably wouldn't of been picked anyways because Pay is opting to go with experience (and he has been neglected in the past) and you could probably say the same for Wakeham but he was dropped for no obvious reason and hasn't re-signed even tho it's past the deadline that was reported (again doesn't mean it's 100% true, it's just what it looks like from the outer).

I can't see Pay changing a winning team. Katoa is another option for the bench/utility role but I've thought he should of been on the bench for a while now and he hasn't managed to. Pay in the past has shown to put Cogger on the bench in these situations too (covering the halves?). Elliott also played lock and RFM second row.

This isn't necessarily what I'd go with but I don't have all the information that Pay has to select the team.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Can we please stop with this fitting Lewis in at all costs?

And while Lewis may have the biggest kicks (at the moment ) he doesn't kick with purpose. Just compare to wakeham vs cowboys when Lewis finally got hooked. Wakeham kicked with purpose and had the cowboys bringing back from their corners thus giving us field position

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Can we please stop with this fitting Lewis in at all costs?

And while Lewis may have the biggest kicks (at the moment ) he doesn't kick with purpose. Just compare to wakeham vs cowboys when Lewis finally got hooked. Wakeham kicked with purpose and had the cowboys bringing back from their corners thus giving us field position
Bombing into a corner is kicking with purpose. As long as we're contesting them we're putting pressure on their catcher which can result in an error or we get the ball back in broken play on the last. If we're not in their final third that's almost the best option and it's a very safe play. It's also harder for the opposition to get up the field (which is exactly where the Dragons struggled) when they're coming back from their own line. There were also a few deep kicks from our own half that hit the grass. Everyone knows that Lewis needs more strings to his bow but it isn't going to be as much as an issue with Foran beside him. Foran also isn't a great long range kicker (Lewis has a big boot).

I agree Wakeham should still be there as in theory he should be our future but Wakeham hasn't re-signed and it's past the deadline reported, maybe he's not going to be with us next year? That's what it currently looks like from the outside and unless the club comes out and say something or Wakeham actually re-signs that speculation is going to be there.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm stoked we at least have a decent back 3 now. Hoppa opens up plenty more attacking options, DWZ is more damaging on the wing and takes lots of pressure off the forwards with his hitups (especially his second tackle carries out of trouble), and Meaney just keeps on improving.