Suallii to the Wallabies and NAS?

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He's talented but he's not close to being a generational talent. I'd say every year there are a few youngsters as talented as him.

If he goes to Rugby, it will be horrible for his football career and development but I'd understand why he'd go because what 19 year old is going to turn down $10 million?
He is easily the most talented youngster since Folau...He was 18 years old for most of last year

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Going to yawnion for big bucks would be like, "Hey we are going to give you a pile of money, but you also get cancer".

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If the amount is correct or even close,he is as good as gone, he'd be mad not to take it really

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He will probably play Origin this year and then cross over next year.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I don’t think hel go. He can make a mill plus in league and union is dead in this country. He should stay and build a legacy

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think hel go. He can make a mill plus in league and union is dead in this country. He should stay and build a legacy
More money on offer in rugby and the chance to play around the world. Rugby died when super rugby came in but internationally it’s right up there in terms of exposure during the World Cup and test matches. I reckon he will stay until he plays origin and wins a comp and then he will go in his mid 20’s before the 2028 rugby World Cup in Australia

silva

Utility
Reaction score
More money on offer in rugby and the chance to play around the world. Rugby died when super rugby came in but internationally it’s right up there in terms of exposure during the World Cup and test matches. I reckon he will stay until he plays origin and wins a comp and then he will go in his mid 20’s before the 2028 rugby World Cup in Australia
It’s been dying a slow death as the nrl tv deal is choking the life out of rugby and stealing all their best talent. They only get average nrl players now paying overs

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s been dying a slow death as the nrl tv deal is choking the life out of rugby and stealing all their best talent. They only get average nrl players now paying overs
Yeah it’s sad, I enjoy test match rugby but we just aren’t producing enough talent to keep it interesting at the moment. It’s actually a miracle they still compete with the top teams as well as they do

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He'll only make that money if and when he becomes a successful full back in league, which is no guarantee. He'd be crazy not to take that if the money is there now.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he's smart, he'll flirt with the idea of 10M for 5 years and then wait for Japanese of French rugby to chime in with 15M for 5 years....

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Wallabies launch raid on NRL’s ‘biggest’ star, want him to change country
The NRL’s “biggest” star has addressed rumours of a Wallabies recruitment raid with a surprise statement on which country he would represent.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/f...e/news-story/b6249f85fd8e9295aeb3a3de62b76886
Melbourne Storm wrecking ball Nelson Asofa-Solomona has addressed rumours of a Wallabies recruitment raid.
The Kiwi enforcer has revealed he would consider switching his national allegiance from New Zealand to play for Australia if he makes the switch to rugby.
Asofa-Solomona has told the Sydney Morning Herald, he is yet to receive a phone call from new wallabies coach Eddie Jones, despite swirling rumours he is one of the top targets on Rugby Australia’s wish list.

“Obviously I’ve been at the Storm for such a long time,” he said.
“Coming from a rugby union background, I’ve always been enticed to go back to rugby at some stage. Just seeing the talent we have got at the Storm and the future they have, the Storm is in good hands even if I leave.
“I’m not too sure what I want to do, I change my mind every day.
“It’s hard to say [if I would join the Wallabies]. I’d be silly not to consider all my options.”
He admits it would be difficult to play against a New Zealand team, but is open to the switch to play for Australia.

“You can’t rule anything out,” he said.
“Stuff crosses your mind, but it would be tough being a New Zealander. But I’ve spent a lot of time in Australia, Australia has done a lot for my family. It’s a tough question to answer.”
Jones put his recruitment raid into the public domain before he had even officially begun his tenure as returning to coach the Wallabies.
Asofa-Solomona appears to be the biggest NRL star left on Jones’ shopping list with rising star Joseph Sualii expected to remain with the Roosters and Parramatta Eels centre Will Penisini recently committing to the Eels.
Asofa-Solomona previously met with Wallabies coach Dave Rennie about switching codes when his NRL career hung in the balance.
The enforcer’s 2021 season appeared over due to his anti-vaccination stance, but the issue was cleared up and he returned to the Storm.
It wouldn’t be the first raid Jones has had on the NRL after poaching a trio of stars in the early 2000s.
Jones masterminded the poaching of Wendell Sailor, Lote Tuiqiri and Mat Rogers to join the Wallabies. Moves which helped them reach the 2003 World Cup final.

In August last year it was reported the RA hit list included the likes of Tom Trbojevic, Latrell Mitchell, Cameron Murray, Ryan Papenhuyzen and Matt Burton. Jones’ push to rejuvenate the Wallabies comes ahead of the 2025 British and Irish Lions tour in Australia and the 2027 World Cup.

That basically says "Give me a call Eddie, make a decent offer and I'm yours".

Always a Bulldog

silva

Utility
Reaction score
In League he will play ~30 games and get up to $1m a year.
In Union he will play ~15 games and get up to $2m a year.
Easy decision to make.

Always a Bulldog
Thats assuming all he cares about is money. He may prefer to test himself in the nrl and winning a title instead of playing a 2nd tier sport like union. And also that rugby union can afford to pay 1 player that which they obviously can’t and are struggling to stay afloat.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats assuming all he cares about is money. He may prefer to test himself in the nrl and winning a title instead of playing a 2nd tier sport like union. And also that rugby union can afford to pay 1 player that which they obviously can’t and are struggling to stay afloat.
The Wallabies are not struggling AND more importantly RA doesn't have a financial structure anything like the NRL, comparisons are meaningless. For a starter they have directed payments to players from sponsors, so Suaali'i could be paid mostly from sponsors not by RA. Plus RA allocates players to Super Rugby teams, for example Suaali would be paid part of his contract by the Waratahs.

As for testing himself, Union has it all over League at the moment since the effwits at the IRL haven't locked in the schedule for International games this year. Whereas International Rugby has its schedule planned out past the 2027 World Cup which will be held here. Suaali'i would be well tested paying against the All Blacks and the British & Irish Lions.

Always a Bulldog