Student allowed 'smokos' at school

Status
Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22696885-5001021,00.html

A YEAR 10 student has been given permission to take cigarette breaks while at school because her doctor says she is clinically addicted to nicotine.

Tara Lewis, 16, who smokes as much as a packet a day, is allowed to smoke between classes to relieve the "stress'' of her Year 10 studies.

Stromlo High School has granted the amazing concession to the Canberra teenager despite the ACT Government boasting of its plans to tighten laws to stop underage smoking.

It is also illegal to supply cigarettes to anybody under the age of 18.

Yet the Government has for years allowed smoking at five selected year 11 and 12 colleges in the Territory and will only introduce a total ban from January 1, 2008.

The school's decision also mocks the $25 million the Federal Government is investing over the next four years in a national campaign to stop young people aged between 12 and 24 from smoking.

The high school student told The Sunday Telegraph it was a "massive'' relief to be able to smoke at school as it helped to calm her down. "As soon as I've got a cigarette in my hand, I'm calmer,'' she said.

Stromlo High School gave her permission for "smoko'' breaks following advice from Tara's mother, Patrece, and her family doctor. "We were worried that she wasn't going to finish year 10 if she couldn't smoke,'' Ms Lewis, 35, said.

The ACT Department of Education denied it gave Tara permission "to go out for a smoke'' in school grounds. It said she was allowed to leave the school during lunch breaks due to "exceptional circumstances''.

"We were trying to work out the best way to get her through year 10,'' the spokesman said.
The ACT's Opposition Leader Bill Stefaniak slammed the decision.

"She's at an age where she's not legally allowed to smoke, and I'm amazed anyone suggests there is any medical reason for her to smoke,'' he said.

Anti-smoking campaigner Anne Jones, of Action on Smoking and Health, said the school was reckless in facilitating Tara's addiction.

"It's unconscionable for a school to be setting up a convenient place for students to smoke. They have obviously been conned by her.''

Ms Jones said the school should be supplying Tara with nicotine patches or gum.

Tara's mother, also a smoker, said the situation reached breaking point last month when her daughter was placed on detention, and prevented from leaving the school grounds.

"She was really stressed. She just calms down if she has got a cigarette; otherwise she storms in the door, cranky and angry.''

Ms Lewis said she made the request during a meeting with a teacher and the vice-principal. "I told them her major problem is when she is stressed, if she could just have a cigarette to calm her down and stop her getting angry.

"I said: 'I've talked to the doctor about it'.

"Both teachers said: 'Okay, I don't see why not'.''

Under the special rule, Tara said she can smoke in school grounds, near the staff carpark, but must remain away from other students.

Tara's mother said she had started rewarding Tara with just six cigarettes a day if she did chores and behaved at school.

"It's not like I want my kid to smoke. I've done everything to get her to stop it, so if I can control it and say 'when you can have a cigarette, you do chores', that might help.

"I don't want her smoking. It's the last thing you want to let your kid do.''

Parents were outraged last week that the school was breaking strict rules and the law.

WTF is next

Fanoftheyears

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Exclusive: A couple are allowed to take sex breaks during classes because they are proven to be addicted.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^yea the school will probably supply the bed

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
^allllllll right

lol no thats ridiculous...if i was the mum i would slap her over the head for starting smoking in the first place and tell her to htfu

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wonder if they have tried nictotine patches?

if they dont work, she isnt addicted to nicotine the dik flops, she is addicted to the habit and the expectation she will calm down.

It's just like when i take my shoes off, i expect my feet will feel better, but in reality they will still hurt a little

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How freakin' stupid!!!!

I wonder how many students will turn up tomorrow with a note (forged or otherwise) saying that they are nicotine dependent and they need a ciggie break???

H

Hazmak

She looks like the type of chick that smokes blue veined cigars

mickenem

New Pup
Reaction score
ahhh shes got a good future ahead 9 kids 15 possible fathers
welfare, housing comission, cant wait till aca or 2day 2nite run the story bet she started smokn at 5 or sumthin haha

H

Haztrick

bahahaha! I can picture her and her dero mother sitting in a one unit flat with rubbish everywhere, sleeping on a sofa hitting the durries. F*cking dreggos. How ridiculous.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

yuck.

thats my old high school. for ****ing shame.

that place was semi ok 2 years ago.

now its full of 13 yr old pill popping junkies with mullets.

that ***** is the biggest bushpig ive ever seen. all of 3feet tall 4foot wide.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's ridiculous. i have absolutely heard it all now

bored

i
Reaction score
haha, in my school we use to have an area where all the chain smokers sat together and try to hide the cloud of smoke on top of them. this would be their dream to smoke anywhere and not get told off.

W

Willie Talol'd

I wish they gave us cigarette breaks at my school rather than having to sneak off to Tafe next door or the abandoned building.

bored

i
Reaction score
^^^hahaha, good luck trying to do that at trinity.

..shurrup..

Kennel Established
Reaction score
lol thats sooo stupid

lets just accept the fact that she smokes and give her special treatment so she can do it at school :grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.