Status
Not open for further replies.

*Doggiez Angel*

Sponsored by Playboy
Reaction score
Stray Dog proves reliable guide
Karl deKroo
05mar05

SALARY cap pressure is expected to force the defending premier Canterbury Bulldogs to unload at least one of their stars this season. But they would have found room for Dennis Scott.

Despite speculation to the contrary, Scott revealed yesterday he had been offered a contract extension by the Bulldogs, before deciding to link with Melbourne Storm.

While he may lack the star quality of former teammates such as Sonny Bill Williams and Willie Mason, the fact Scott was offered a new deal underlined his importance at Belmore.

"Dennis came to Melbourne because he wanted a change," Storm coach Craig Bellamy said yesterday.

"Not because the Bulldogs were trying to get rid of him.

"I know they wanted to keep him and he is probably the first guy we have signed since I've been here who other clubs really wanted.

"That is a fair indication of his ability."

Bellamy approached Scott after Storm's Round 18 loss to the Bulldogs in Sydney last season.

The pair had crossed paths in Brisbane, where Bellamy was assistant coach to Wayne Bennett at the Broncos and Scott was beginning his career.

Bellamy knew he was likely to lose experienced forwards Stephen Kearney, Rodney Howe and Danny Williams at the end of the year, and saw the 111-game prop as an ideal replacement.

"Dennis is very enthusiastic, very experienced and his attitude is very good," Bellamy said.

"He isn't a flash player by any means, but he does the little things very well and he doesn't have many errors in him.

"I know (coach) Steve Folkes was criticised for having him in his team when he had some big flashy forwards coming through, but Dennis is 100 per cent dependable.

"You can put him into any situation and you know he is going to get the job done for you. He is a real polished tradesman."

Scott played just 14 games for the Bulldogs last season, and missed the grand final triumph over the Roosters.

It was a major blow for a player who had given six years of loyal service to the club.

"I could have stayed," Scott said. "But I felt like I was ready for a change. I left the Dogs on very amicable terms, but I already know I've made the right choice."

Scott, 27, arrives as a senior statesman in a pack that is stacked with youth.

As a result, Bellamy has made him part of his leadership group and Scott is revelling in the added responsibility.

"I think that is probably the major difference between here and the Bulldogs," Scott said.

"The coaching staff seem to take a bit more notice of what the players, particularly the senior players, have to say.

"I think that is a real positive, obviously they don't take everything on board, but they respect the players' views."

Scott is likely to start Storm's season opener against Newcastle on March 13 from the interchange bench.

C

~CrY~

yeah it would have been great to keep dennis scott at our club, but he wanted to leave for a new scene so thats all cool. But you cant evey single player at our clubs, so they ant gonna be room for him. As long as he happy with the decision he made thats all that matters...............good luck dennis at melborne storm :D and jamie fenney also

B

Bwaif

has this article been written to bait the doggies or make them feel bad about losing scott?

Meh, good luck to him, but i seemed to feel there was an underlining critisism for the coaching staff at the doggies i that article.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Scooter was a legend and would of started 2005 at the 'dogs in the No.10 jersey.

Though this article is really interesting considering we offered Dennis Scott a deal he was probably ready to accept.

We also offered Steve Price a contract easily in the excess of $350,000 and Jonathan Thurston $200,000.

We also released Feeney, maybe because we couldn't afford to pay him the salary that he was on. (We signed him up to a new deal when he was playing country origin).

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
GG™ said:
has this article been written to bait the doggies or make them feel bad about losing scott?

Meh, good luck to him, but i seemed to feel there was an underlining critisism for the coaching staff at the doggies i that article.
The main tone of the article suggests that the 'dogs have a few tricks up their sleeves, and not to be surprised if all 3 players are resigned.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
All this talk of money being offered here and also with at least one of anasta, mason and Sonny potentially leaving us there seems to be a lot of money to splash around for the others then.

It would seem to indicate we could not possibly lose more than 1 of the 3 superstars.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
So Dennis Scott may well be captain or one of the leaders for storm!!!!
He already had that attitude with the Bulldogs he was a good Leader and when he werent playing first grade all the Younger Guys in PL looked upto him!!!

He will be a good role model for Melbourne, wish him luck there!!!
Only when it comes down to the Bulldogs vs Storm semi 3rd year in a row,History will repeat itself

M

Makavelli

Habib said:
The main tone of the article suggests that the 'dogs have a few tricks up their sleeves, and not to be surprised if all 3 players are resigned.

Thats exactly what that article means man.

People are nervous for no reason watch us sign all 3 players.

Anasta will be the key to this watch.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Bulldogs84 said:
So Dennis Scott may well be captain or one of the leaders for storm!!!!
He already had that attitude with the Bulldogs he was a good Leader and when he werent playing first grade all the Younger Guys in PL looked upto him!!!

He will be a good role model for Melbourne, wish him luck there!!!
Only when it comes down to the Bulldogs vs Storm semi 3rd year in a row,History will repeat itself
lol but lets pray we dont lose for the 3rd year running in the first weekend of semi finals!!

A

atomic_crimson

GG™ said:

so did i.. the comments about hte melb staff listenin to senior players...

Shifty

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Scooter had known that Price was leaving he may well have stayed. He wasn't getting the game time he is worth at the Dogs and Melbourne gave him the opportunity he deserves. In hindsight his opportunity may finally have come at the Dogs this year, but he wasn't to know that.

I think it sums up the situation pretty well and Bellamy defends Folkes decision to stick by Scott despite the criticism that there were younger players coming through.

Best of luck to Dennis at the Storm and hopefully Jamie can overcome his back injury and make the most of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.