News Stimson: Why I left Storm for Bulldogs

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When a player leaves the Melbourne Storm the first question usually is: Why?

For second-rower Joe Stimson the answer comes in two parts. Firstly, Storm said he was free to look elsewhere and secondly, his chances of playing NRL regularly in the NRL were starting to dry up.

When a player chooses a club that has finished no higher than 11th in the past three seasons, the question is again: Why?

"I had a great opportunity to come here [to Canterbury] and improve my footy and a great opportunity to play more minutes," Stimson told NRL.com.

"The way the back-rowers were playing down in Melbourne, I saw myself as mainly a back-up there. I hope to be one of those getting a starting spot here."

Stimson played in all three finals games, including the grand final, for Storm in 2018. But he did not figure in any of Storm's 2019 finals teams.

"I had a [lower back] disc injury at the start of the year [missed opening 10 rounds] so that didn't help me at all.

"It set me back and then the way Kenny Bromwich started the year, you just have to respect that good form," Stimson said.

"He had it so he got the opportunities. I had to go the long way around. I got myself back on the bench for a little bit but that's where I stayed really."

From his three NRL seasons with the Storm, he had the leanest year in 2019 playing just 12 games. But he also had his best year for scoring tries – five.

"They said to me I could look around. By the sounds of it – and without actually saying it – there was no contract for me next year [2020]," Stimson said.

"I owe a lot to the Storm but I was grateful the Bulldogs came knocking."

The Temora-bred product could have had other suitors if he'd looked around longer. He's a former captain of Storm's Under-20s side and has over 50 NRL-games experience.

He was partly drawn by the reputation and history of the Bulldogs forwards.

"I'm sure it comes from the way they appreciate their past players. Everyone who has ever played first grade has their name on the wall down in the gym," Stimson said.

"There's pictures of guys who have played over 100 games. You're surrounded by the history here and I admire that.

"They've set a standard in this jersey so it's up to us to train hard and keep that going."

His first impressions of head coach Dean Pay are highly favourable.

"He's great to have a conversation with. He's quite approachable and listens to what you have to say, which is nice – and a bit old school like Craig [Bellamy]."

As for his new teammates, one stands out as he's also a former Storm player and new recruit for 2020 – Dean Britt.

"Deano … I know him very well. We're best mates. I lived with him for two years in Melbourne."

Is that the reason you came to Belmore?

"No, I signed before him so he's come to be with me. He copied me."

So now it's just up to Stimson to take his footy where he wants it to go.

"I just want to back myself a bit more. I don't think I've reached my potential of where I can get to.

"I want to play with confidence in the abilities that I have – passing the footy and being a bit more aggressive.

"I was a little tentative going into some games, not as confident as I wanted to be. I'm learning to appreciate that I deserve to be there and I can make a difference."

Source

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We're going to see some really good footy out of our big men this year.. the competition for spots should see us get more consistency out of guys like Sue and RFM.. Love to see RFM play every game like he did at the end of this season... he had a real impact along with Renouf

Last edited:

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He lived with Deano??
That came in handy. Guaranteed starting position.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're going to see some really good footy out of our big men this year.. the competition for spots should see us get more consistency out of guys like Sue and RFM.. Love to see RFM every game like was at the end of this season... he had a real impact along with Renouf
I see some similarities between Stimson and Andrew Ryan, guess time will tell.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
"unwanted player joins club that wants him"

Big if true.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
‘I want to play with confidence in the abilities that I have – passing the footy and being a bit more aggressive’.

I like the sound of that - back yourself and go for it Joe. Just don’t push silly passes that aren’t on and lose the ball but otherwise the dawn of a new era of entertainers awaits...

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
‘I want to play with confidence in the abilities that I have – passing the footy and being a bit more aggressive’.

I like the sound of that - back yourself and go for it Joe. Just don’t push silly passes that aren’t on and lose the ball but otherwise the dawn of a new era of entertainers awaits...
This is also a much better perspective for a player to have than the old "being at this team will help take my game to the next level" rubbish. No team can help a player be better than they are willing to try and be, except maybe Cronulla during the peptide era.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This;
"I'm sure it comes from the way they appreciate their past players. Everyone who has ever played first grade has their name on the wall down in the gym," Stimson said.
"There's pictures of guys who have played over 100 games. You're surrounded by the history here and I admire that.
"They've set a standard in this jersey so it's up to us to train hard and keep that going."
Go Dogs

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We're going to see some really good footy out of our big men this year.. the competition for spots should see us get more consistency out of guys like Sue and RFM.. Love to see RFM play every game like he did at the end of this season... he had a real impact along with Renouf
Fingers are crossed brother, it’s sounding very hopeful..!!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Plenty of competition for the starting seventeen, someone will miss out initially.

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

elliot better watch out...

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as Adan idiot gets pushed out of the starting line up...

Jackson lock
CHN and stimpson second rowers.

bench
Toumaga
Katoa
RFM
Ogden

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Stimson will surprise a few like CHN did..

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

This is something we have over most clubs, history. Out of 16 clubs in the comp, only Roosters have a longer CONTINUOUS history. If you count the Buns as older even though they were rubbed out for two years we are the 3rd oldest club in the NRL. Equal 4th (Manly and Parra) are 13 years younger, and equal 6th (Penriff and Shonks) are 33 years younger.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is something we have over most clubs, history. Out of 16 clubs in the comp, only Roosters have a longer CONTINUOUS history. If you count the Buns as older even though they were rubbed out for two years we are the 3rd oldest club in the NRL. Equal 4th (Manly and Parra) are 13 years younger, and equal 6th (Penriff and Shonks) are 33 years younger.
Sorry man, that doesn’t mean shit anymore... especially to the self entitled millennials coming through the ranks

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think Stimson will surprise a few like CHN did..
Don't think anyone was surprised by CHN, more so surprised that we bought another edge forward when we needed to address other areas. Keep in mind Pay started him on the bench and played him at lock last season for some ridiculous reason.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sorry man, that doesn’t mean shit anymore... especially to the self entitled millennials coming through the ranks
Maybe. It seems to mean something to Stimson. I would agree that not everyone will find it meaningful, but there are personality types that are drawn to a sense of history and tradition. Dogs have that over all the johnny-come-latelys. Might as well flaunt it.