Stewart, Crocker put knockout blow aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Having got up close and personal in last Sunday night's NRL grand final, Brett Stewart and Michael Crocker have been re-acquainted as Australian teammates.

The circumstances were far more hospitable than those in which the two last got together, Storm backrower Crocker rubbing Sea Eagles fullback Stewart out of the Telstra Stadium decider with a vicious shoulder charge.

But there were no hard feelings on Thursday, with Stewart saying he had put the incident behind him.

"I just had a look at it after the game a couple of times but it's all been forgotten about now," Stewart said.

"We're playing together, we just want to put it behind us.

"I've been asked a fair bit about it during then week, I'm just looking forward to playing with him on Sunday."

Crocker, still reeling at what was a surprise Test call-up, said one of the first things he did on seeing Stewart was to ask how he was feeling.

The Test debutant had been in doubt ahead of Thursday's medical, but was deemed well enough to take part in the team's Sydney Football Stadium training session.

Having been assured Stewart was okay, Crocker joked that he was now concerned for Storm teammate Billy Slater, who was involved in the 44th minute hit which flattened the Sea Eagles No.1.

"I think Billy Slater will be filthy at this because he's been taking the credit for it the last couple of days," Crocker said.

Stewart brushed off concerns that he would be targeted under the high ball by the Kiwis as a result of the knockout blow, claiming all fullbacks were tested by the opposition.

Australian coach Ricky Stuart took it easy on his players, which would have been welcomed by the five Storm players who finally had to put an end to their premiership celebrations.

"They sounded like they'd won a grand final," Stuart said.

"I just spoke to the squad and congratulated (the Storm players) and commiserated with the Manly boys.

"I've had both feelings and one you've got some excitement there but the other boys are obviously disappointed, but we'll get over that."

Source: AAP

Status
Not open for further replies.