Steve Folkes Quits- Super Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggzfan4lyf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
STEVE Folkes will quit as coach of the Bulldogs at the end of the season after 11 years as head coach of the club.
He told Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg of his decision early this afternoon and told his players just before a 2pm training session.

"I have been giving the matter plenty of thought in recent weeks and I feel the decision is the right one and not only for me but for the club as well, ",a statement from Folkes read.

"My decision will end the speculation that's been rife for the past few months about my future and will enable me and the players to get on with the job of winning football matches and being in contention at the business end of the season."

Folkes said he planned to continue coaching and hoped to remain in Australia but would move overseas if necessary.

"I reckon I still have another 10 years ahead of me as a coach and this decision will enable me to reinvent myself once my obligations with the Bulldogs finish, " he said.

Folkes' assistant, Kevin Moore, is tipped to replace him in 2009. Michael Potter and Daniel Anderson are the other contenders.

Folkes said it will be extremely strange not having an association with the Bulldogs as he has been with the club as a player and coach continuously for the past 31 years.

"The Bulldogs are very special to me and will continue to be long after I move on, he said.

Under Folkes coaching, the Bulldogs won the NRL premiership in 2004 the same year he was named Dally M coach of the year and were grand finalists in 1998, semi-finalists on three occasions (1999, 2001 and 2007) and preliminary finalists twice (2003 and 2006).

Folkes played 247 first-grade matches for the club, was a member of four premiership-winning teams, represented NSW in nine Origin games and made five Test appearances.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23497649-5001021,00.html

doggzfan4lyf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
hope the dogs finnish the year off well n give steve folkes the send off he deserves. an awesome clubman :grinning:

Chappo

Bulldog Pride
Reaction score
I'm putting this question to everybody. Who would you like to see as the next bulldogs coach?

Premiers04

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speculation has ended, Folkes has quit on his terms, and thats the way he would have wanted to do it. It is going to be strange next year, With no folkes being associated with the club in any capacity.

riomhach

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Love ya Folksie, always will.

Thanks for your many, many years of service.

I wish you all the best and i hope the boys can give you the send off you deserve. I'm pleased you made the decision and weren't sacked.

A sad day for all Blue and White supporters :(

Premiers04

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm putting this question to everybody. Who would you like to see as the next bulldogs coach?
From that list in the article Daniel Anderson would be my pick. He has had great success over in the ESL and was a good coach at his time with the Warriors, I think he would have pulling power to attract players to the club.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well Done to Folkes on making a tough decision in the interests of the Club. The club couldn't make it, so Folkes showed what a true legend he is and opted to stop all the speculation.

Good luck to Folkes in the future. True and forever bulldog.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Thanks for everything Folkesy. You are a deadset champion.

Wish him the best of luck in the future in coaching. It will definitely be strange not having him around in some form of capacity.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
From that list in the article Daniel Anderson would be my pick. He has had great success over in the ESL and was a good coach at his time with the Warriors, I think he would have pulling power to attract players to the club.

Be careful with how much weight is put into "success in ESL". It's debatable whether this can be directly transposed to the NRL.

and I didn't think he was too crash hot when he was over here.

C

chipandchase

Thats poor form mate.

He's done more for our club than most.

I wish him all the very best.
look i do too, but for the dogs, this is the start of a new generation, it is exciting.
we have some great talent coming through in the lower grades, big things are expected for next year.
cant wait

RickChristian

New Pup
Reaction score
i would like to thank folksey for all of his years of loyal service to the bulldogs
and all the memories he has given me growing up as a player and coach. I also hope the players can turn around there efforts and send him out on a high !

C

chipandchase

Why do you say that? Who would you put in his place? Is that you, Nathan Brown?
i personally would like Stephen Kearney, he is young gun coach, learnt under Bellamy and his Kiwi connection would keep Sonny in the blue and white for a long time to come.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Important we respect the past fellas.

I am as excited as the next person for the next generation to take over, but let's not start behaving like other club supporters.

Bulldogs to the bone.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Also agree with Stephen Kearney as coach. Failing that, Michael Potter, Kevin Moore, Daniel Anderson. In that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.