Stephen Crichton

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
and Brisbane made a mistake prioritising Staggs (also nowhere near his form pre extension) over Farnworth. You can't get everything right.
Doesn’t change the fact elite centres are paid this.

Averilo is in no world elite. He’s on a reported 600k….

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Doesn’t change the fact elite centres are paid this.

Averilo is in no world elite. He’s on a reported 600k….
Averillo is reportedly on 400k at Dolphin next year. If Crichton plays like an elite centre next year (best centre in the game) then he'll be worth what we're paying him but history would say it's going to be very hard for him to do that. An elite centre in our team is going to look like a do the job to quality centre. I hope I'm wrong but that's what I believe until I see otherwise (even tho I think he will and needs to play fullback).

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Averillo is reportedly on 400k at Dolphin next year. If Crichton plays like an elite centre next year (best centre in the game) then he'll be worth what we're paying him but history would say it's going to be very hard for him to do that. An elite centre in our team is going to look like a do the job to quality centre. I hope I'm wrong but that's what I believe until I see otherwise (even tho I think he will and needs to play fullback).
I haven’t seen 400k reported anywhere? Regardless Crichton is more than double the player averilo is!

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Of course Critta signed for the dollars but Panthers didn't offer him enough commensurate with his value to either Penrith or another club...like us.

He seems like a loyal kinda guy and probably was swayed by Ciraldo as well having an influence over his footy career coming thru the grades as well.

He will greatly help the Bulldogs (all being equal) ... and the coach getting our roster up to speed and competing to the necessary standards.

It's very impressive by Penrith fans that they still hold him in such high regard regardless that he is leaving to play for us. A testament to him and your supporters.
Given what he done for us in the last 4 years to not wish him all the best would be pretty sad. I'm gutted he is leaving, the fact the cap doesn't reward development really pisses me off, but it is what it is. My eyes dead set welled up when he scored last night, one because of joy as that is the moment I was certain we would win and the other was getting emotional about that being the last time I'd see him do something like that in black.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
@Hacky McAxe @wendog33 can we pls clean this shit up from the forum. Straight bans for members who respond to a footy related post with a personal attack
It is getting over the top IMO but I guess if they are all silly enough to keep tagging you guys who trigger them, then you guys are gonna reply and get a bigger platform you want to express your opinions and you get more of a say on here \_(ツ)_/¯ ...go figure.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Why are you raising issues if you don't want us to discuss them Wendy? ;)
Why even bother posting?
Why am I bothering with this post?
Why, oh why, oh why indeed!
Discuss all you like but I wonder why guys here keep tagging these guys who trigger them and then the thread turns vitriolic and guys get salty bc "the trolls" reply and express their opinions even more.

My point is why tag them? Why reply post to their sometimes corrosive views of our club? They are only going to reply and spread more negative opinions on all the bloody issues they keep raising.

Then you guys get all salty bc they reply. What do you think is going to happen? They change their mind and start having faith in Gus etc? NO THEY AINT.

They are entitled to their opinions however misguided we think they are but bc some of you guys keep replying and tagging them, the whole thread is taken over by never-ending backward and forward bs. So often these guys haven't said anything for hours or days, yet some bozo tags them and that starts up the rubbish all over again.

If you all ignore it maybe we could discuss the important footy issues we want to discuss. Its the dumb negative regurgitated merry go round bs I'm talking about...not the interesting Bulldogs news and info we all like discussing :grinning:

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Didn’t realise how strong he was with that try he done it easy over staggs who is a beast. He should be our left centre and Taafe fullback. Those 2 injections could make a massive difference if we can land some proper middles

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Little doubt that Crichton is an elite centre. However, to get the best results, there needs to some ball playing players.
Kikau is the same. Hes elite. But he and Crichton need the right people to feed them the ball
at the opportune time. I'm not sure we have such players.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are the one who keeps calling me out and implying I don’t understand things… on this particular occasion you called me a **** …. But sure, I’m the one with the ego. It’s obvious you think you are smarter than and superior to me, so don’t go around instigating shit and belittling other people, then put your hands up and act indignant when you get insulted. If you weren’t constantly a dick to people, you wouldn’t get insulted.

Warriors went from cellar dwellers to top tour in the space of one season, so it is clearly possible to get better pretty quickly with good coaching.

We have shown we can play a lot better than we have this year… if we have Burton, and even the overrated Mahoney playing at their best (or even better, still had JMK), along with a few good forwards, that would be enough to have us in the mix for the 8.

Burton IS potentially elite….he doesn’t necessarily look it here, but no one does, because the club is a shambles.

As for forwards, we let Vaughan walk away in the off season. Was that not our decision? We did have a real crack at signing Leniu, and could have also missed out on Flagler, but once again, Gus missed his assignment and failed to sign two guys who could have really boosted our go forward. Even if he couldn’t get a star, all we need are big bodies who can bend the line and are fit. There are no doubt guys who fill those boxes running around in Queensland Cup.

Other teams unearth good props all the time without going and signing them from other clubs…. So why aren’t we finding them?

You can act like the options aren’t there all you like. The reality is, we just aren’t finding them. And when when we do find a good one, they tend to go backwards on our watch.
I’m not insulted at all mate …. I wasn’t aware there was even a competition …… look as I said, if it’s so important to you, I’m happy to concede you’re the most intelligent person on TK, you happy now? …… can we move on from that frivolous debate, also I don’t go around instigating chit or belittling people, I pretty much mind my own business on here …

In your particular case I occasionally debate some of your comments because you either forget, or choose the forget the underlaying reasons behind a lot of the things you choose to use to run the club down.

For instance using the Warriors team as a rule of thumb to highlight our problems, the Warriors were a 98% fully built team with quality players, representative forwards, elite 7 & spine, all they needed for fine tuning was good coaching … you’re comparing apples to oranges here.

The other thing you fail to respect is you can’t just “make” players come here, they have to want to come, and you can’t just offer massive overs to get them to come or you end up with mercenaries just here to collect a pay check … this here has been one of Gould & Ciraldo’s major problems, they’ve had to deal with Barrett’s overpaid mercenaries that have only been here for the money, they’ve had to honour those contracts …. when CC put the foot down and said time to start earning it and putting in at training, these mercenaries have had a dummy spit … the facts are that Ciraldo inherited a mostly chit team plus a losing culture, there was a percentage that want to be here, the others where here just for the money, letting in 32 per game doesn’t necessarily equal bad coaching, it can mean zero care factor from a big group of your players …

If Gould’s missed out on players it’s because they didn’t want to come or they were way over pricing themselves hoping we were desperate … as for Vaughan, stop saying we let him walk just to strengthen your arguments all the time …. it’s been stated many times from people in the know that he didn’t want to stay, and we didn’t want to make him by paying overs.

We did play better footy earlier in the year, but there were injuries to important players, and as it became apparent that Ciraldo wanted players to train harder, and those that weren’t being re-signed got tapped on the shoulder, it spiralled out of control …

But you know all this …

Why aren’t you holding off on your opinion till you see who we’ve signed to replace those leaving, and why not judge CC next year when he has more players in the squad of his choosing ?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Crichton is a good signing for the club no doubt about it.
Whether the club can use him right and get best out of him is a different story.
If Gus and Ciro bought him with a plan to improve the team, it's now on them to make it work. Fact. Make it happen. No excuses 2024.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hes a vgood centre but the fact still stands that this signing almost more damage to us than good. U dont pay rockstar money for a fucken centre under any circumstance, and certainly not when we dont yet have a decent halfback, fullback or forward pack. Its so detremental and just proves weve learnt nothing

Look forward to all the apologys from everyone next yr while u all keep scratching ur heads as to why we are still challenging for the spoon
Have a look at this bloke wants an apology if Crichton fails lol.
You know we signed him for 4 years yeah?
Which means if he fails next year and we recruit well in 2025 guess what champ you might be apologising for a few weeks.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I’m not insulted at all mate …. I wasn’t aware there was even a competition …… look as I said, if it’s so important to you, I’m happy to concede you’re the most intelligent person on TK, you happy now? …… can we move on from that frivolous debate, also I don’t go around instigating chit or belittling people, I pretty much mind my own business on here …

In your particular case I occasionally debate some of your comments because you either forget, or choose the forget the underlaying reasons behind a lot of the things you choose to use to run the club down.

For instance using the Warriors team as a rule of thumb to highlight our problems, the Warriors were a 98% fully built team with quality players, representative forwards, elite 7 & spine, all they needed for fine tuning was good coaching … you’re comparing apples to oranges here.

The other thing you fail to respect is you can’t just “make” players come here, they have to want to come, and you can’t just offer massive overs to get them to come or you end up with mercenaries just here to collect a pay check … this here has been one of Gould & Ciraldo’s major problems, they’ve had to deal with Barrett’s overpaid mercenaries that have only been here for the money, they’ve had to honour those contracts …. when CC put the foot down and said time to start earning it and putting in at training, these mercenaries have had a dummy spit … the facts are that Ciraldo inherited a mostly chit team plus a losing culture, there was a percentage that want to be here, the others where here just for the money, letting in 32 per game doesn’t necessarily equal bad coaching, it can mean zero care factor from a big group of your players …

If Gould’s missed out on players it’s because they didn’t want to come or they were way over pricing themselves hoping we were desperate … as for Vaughan, stop saying we let him walk just to strengthen your arguments all the time …. it’s been stated many times from people in the know that he didn’t want to stay, and we didn’t want to make him by paying overs.

We did play better footy earlier in the year, but there were injuries to important players, and as it became apparent that Ciraldo wanted players to train harder, and those that weren’t being re-signed got tapped on the shoulder, it spiralled out of control …

But you know all this …

Why aren’t you holding off on your opinion till you see who we’ve signed to replace those leaving, and why not judge CC next year when he has more players in the squad of his choosing ?
You don’t go around instigating stuff? It’s impossible to take you seriously when you come up with comments like this. You tag me and take potshots at me and my opinions at least three or four times a week. I never try to deny you your right to an opinion…. In fact, when you’re not tagging me I pretty much leave you alone. If you didn’t tag me multiple times a week, we’d probably have no interaction, let alone arguments. So stop the passive aggressive crap and just be real, because you are the one who can’t hack other people’s opinions around here, and you are the instigator of almost every argument we have on here…. Often dragging my hand into threads I’m not even actively participating in st the time…. Just so you can get back slaps from your buddies. .

Your arguments are disingenuous, to be honest….you’re arguing with me about things I never said. I have acknowledged repeatedly that we can’t make players come here, or stay, but it is Gus and Ciraldo’s job to sell them their vision for the club and convince them to come, or stay…. As the case may be.

As soon as Ciraldo got here, all the talk was about him going hard for Crichton…. A centre. It was abundantly clear the areas we were in most need of addressing were the forwards and spine, and he zeros in on a centre. Is it any wonder players don’t want to come here when the coach can’t even prioritise the positions we are most lacking in, or decide what his best 17 should be?

All you guys come up with are excuses… we had injuries, players weren’t buying in, can’t sign players if they don’t want to sign… blah blah.

All clubs cop horror injury runs at times. The fact we got worse rather than improving when they came back is a huge red flag. We have posters like RFM, who has worked his way back from multiple career threatening injuries. He’s clearly not afraid of hard work, but Ciraldo couldn’t get him to want to work hard for him…. Red flag. We constantly miss players we identify as targets, and struggle to convince players we need to stay, then Gus complains about the player market. Huge red flag. Could you imagine Nick Politis letting a player he needed go, or failing to recruit in key positions that needed strengthening and just shrugging his shoulders and saying they didn’t want to come?

It’s a massive cop out, fam. When the best administrators need to strengthen a position, they get things done. In the past Gus has gotten things done and he hasn’t been getting things done, which suggests two things, as far as I’m concerned:

*His coach is struggling to convince incoming and outgoing players of his vision; and
*His heart really isn’t in this job. He’s just collecting a pay cheque, imo. Probably still salty about getting shafted for Anderson in the late 80s.

Now if you don’t agree with this point of view, you have every right to your opinion. But constantly calling me out and insulting me, then saying you’re not instigating and I have an ego is just absurd, lafam. I don’t get how you can make a claim like that with a straight face lol

BulldogYeezus

Waterboy
Reaction score
You don’t go around instigating stuff? It’s impossible to take you seriously when you come up with comments like this. You tag me and take potshots at me and my opinions at least three or four times a week. I never try to deny you your right to an opinion…. In fact, when you’re not tagging me I pretty much leave you alone. If you didn’t tag me multiple times a week, we’d probably have no interaction, let alone arguments. So stop the passive aggressive crap and just be real, because you are the one who can’t hack other people’s opinions around here, and you are the instigator of almost every argument we have on here…. Often dragging my hand into threads I’m not even actively participating in st the time…. Just so you can get back slaps from your buddies. .

Your arguments are disingenuous, to be honest….you’re arguing with me about things I never said. I have acknowledged repeatedly that we can’t make players come here, or stay, but it is Gus and Ciraldo’s job to sell them their vision for the club and convince them to come, or stay…. As the case may be.

As soon as Ciraldo got here, all the talk was about him going hard for Crichton…. A centre. It was abundantly clear the areas we were in most need of addressing were the forwards and spine, and he zeros in on a centre. Is it any wonder players don’t want to come here when the coach can’t even prioritise the positions we are most lacking in, or decide what his best 17 should be?

All you guys come up with are excuses… we had injuries, players weren’t buying in, can’t sign players if they don’t want to sign… blah blah.

All clubs cop horror injury runs at times. The fact we got worse rather than improving when they came back is a huge red flag. We have posters like RFM, who has worked his way back from multiple career threatening injuries. He’s clearly not afraid of hard work, but Ciraldo couldn’t get him to want to work hard for him…. Red flag. We constantly miss players we identify as targets, and struggle to convince players we need to stay, then Gus complains about the player market. Huge red flag. Could you imagine Nick Politis letting a player he needed go, or failing to recruit in key positions that needed strengthening and just shrugging his shoulders and saying they didn’t want to come?

It’s a massive cop out, fam. When the best administrators need to strengthen a position, they get things done. In the past Gus has gotten things done and he hasn’t been getting things done, which suggests two things, as far as I’m concerned:

*His coach is struggling to convince incoming and outgoing players of his vision; and
*His heart really isn’t in this job. He’s just collecting a pay cheque, imo. Probably still salty about getting shafted for Anderson in the late 80s.

Now if you don’t agree with this point of view, you have every right to your opinion. But constantly calling me out and insulting me, then saying you’re not instigating and I have an ego is just absurd, lafam. I don’t get how you can make a claim like that with a straight face lol
Nick Politis bought Brandon Smith…