Official Stephen Crichton signs with the Bulldogs 2024

Do you think Crighton will make a good fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Val Holmes anyone? He was another fullback experiment gone wrong, he is also an amazing athlete.
He went overseas to chase a dream in the NFL and lost his mojo, pretty sure if he moved to fullback next season he'd go a lot better (obviously keep Drinky there)

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Val Holmes anyone? He was another fullback experiment gone wrong, he is also an amazing athlete.
I dont think the "experiment" went wrong. I agree he is an amazing athlete. The coach needed him in the centres
as that cupboard was almost bare. And Drinkwater was going OK at FB.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
PANTHERS PUT CRICHTON TALKS ON HOLD AMID CAP CRISIS

The Panthers are will to fight the Bulldogs for the services of star centre Stephen Crichton, but have put talks on hold until the salary cap is finalised.

The Daily Telegraph reported the Panthers are waiting for the new collective bargaining agreement to be locked in, before they up their bid to retain Crichton.

Panthers CEO Matt Cameron told the Telegraph, Penrith have just 26 players signed for 2023 with the club unable to commit to more deals until the salary cap is confirmed.

“At the moment we only have 26 players for this coming year so we still have to sign another two players but I’m reluctant to do anything until I know what the salary cap is,” Cameron told The Daily Telegraph.

“We need some clarification to move ahead.”

Despite interest from the Bulldogs and the Dolphins, Cameron warned the Panthers will do everything in their power to keep Crichton at the Panthers long-term.

“With respect to Stephen, our goal is to do everything we can to keep our best kids here at Penrith,” Cameron said.

Stephen Crichton is caught in a tug of war between the Panthers and Bulldogs.
Stephen Crichton is caught in a tug of war between the Panthers and Bulldogs.Source: Getty Images

“We want to keep every local junior who is progressing into the first grade squad at our club for as long as we can. That is what we are working towards.

“But it is getting harder. And not just with Stephen. Every player in our squad is getting better and deserves more money. Jarome (Luai), Dylan (Edwards) and Isaah (Yeo) come off contract after 2024. That’s just us as a club moving forward.”

Cameron also shut down reports Crichton could push for an early release to take up a more lucrative deal at the Bulldogs in 2023.

“No way. We have had no indication of that and we have been pretty strong in the past with situations like this,” Cameron said.

“We’d like to think players finish out the season at the club that they’re at.

“We haven’t shown an interest previously for letting players go early unless it suits the Penrith Panthers and in this case I don’t think it does.”

Crichton, 22, has scored 41 tries in 76 games for the Panthers since his debut in 2019 and has won two premierships, while he has also played three Origins for the Blues and six Tests for Samoa.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pushing his price up good work gus surely the dolphins pay him massive $$

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
PANTHERS PUT CRICHTON TALKS ON HOLD AMID CAP CRISIS

The Panthers are will to fight the Bulldogs for the services of star centre Stephen Crichton, but have put talks on hold until the salary cap is finalised.

The Daily Telegraph reported the Panthers are waiting for the new collective bargaining agreement to be locked in, before they up their bid to retain Crichton.

Panthers CEO Matt Cameron told the Telegraph, Penrith have just 26 players signed for 2023 with the club unable to commit to more deals until the salary cap is confirmed.

“At the moment we only have 26 players for this coming year so we still have to sign another two players but I’m reluctant to do anything until I know what the salary cap is,” Cameron told The Daily Telegraph.

“We need some clarification to move ahead.”

Despite interest from the Bulldogs and the Dolphins, Cameron warned the Panthers will do everything in their power to keep Crichton at the Panthers long-term.

“With respect to Stephen, our goal is to do everything we can to keep our best kids here at Penrith,” Cameron said.

Stephen Crichton is caught in a tug of war between the Panthers and Bulldogs.
Stephen Crichton is caught in a tug of war between the Panthers and Bulldogs.Source: Getty Images

“We want to keep every local junior who is progressing into the first grade squad at our club for as long as we can. That is what we are working towards.

“But it is getting harder. And not just with Stephen. Every player in our squad is getting better and deserves more money. Jarome (Luai), Dylan (Edwards) and Isaah (Yeo) come off contract after 2024. That’s just us as a club moving forward.”

Cameron also shut down reports Crichton could push for an early release to take up a more lucrative deal at the Bulldogs in 2023.

“No way. We have had no indication of that and we have been pretty strong in the past with situations like this,” Cameron said.

“We’d like to think players finish out the season at the club that they’re at.

“We haven’t shown an interest previously for letting players go early unless it suits the Penrith Panthers and in this case I don’t think it does.”

Crichton, 22, has scored 41 tries in 76 games for the Panthers since his debut in 2019 and has won two premierships, while he has also played three Origins for the Blues and six Tests for Samoa.
The writing is on the wall...
This confirms what has been said before, salary cap will force the Panties to let go of players.
If we get him, I just hope we do not sign him on fullback's money, he must prove himself first !!!
There is plenty of fish in the sea, the last thing we want to do is to pay for fish in the sea !
I personally think Gus has already made the cap space available for him for 2023 season :laughing:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This confirms what has been said before, salary cap will force the Panties to let go of players.
If we get him, I just hope we do not sign him on fullback's money, he must prove himself first !!!
There is plenty of fish in the sea, the last thing we want to do is to pay for fish in the sea !
I personally think Gus has already made the cap space available for him for 2023 season :laughing:
We're going to pay him more than Burton.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pushing his price up good work gus surely the dolphins pay him massive $$
Is history repeating it self ?
He has showed interest to join us before then the Panties more than doubled up his contract...Not this time I feel.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
True. Theres plenty of fish in the sea. Sadly there all sardines. We need a bigger fish.
I think Crichton is that fish but only if his price is right.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
True. Theres plenty of fish in the sea. Sadly there all sardines. We need a bigger fish.
I think Crichton is that fish but only if his price is right.
What are you talking about ?
Sardines are the tastiest fish mate :tearsofjoy:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think will be around the same, 850k ish for both.
I don't think so, $6-700k plus the chance to prove himself at fullback fullback if Averillo fails and possibly a TPA to go with it.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crichton will be our highest paid player.
Which is a concern.

He is a good player but that is all. He is a good first grader. He isn’t elite.

At Origin level he was shown to be out of his grade. Which is where he sits in my book.

Players that are just not at Origin level are the players you love to have at your club. Because they are good but you don’t lose them to Rep football through the year. These players are not normally your top paid players though.

If Burton is $850k the he is worth $750k IMO

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't think so, $6-700k plus the chance to prove himself at fullback fullback if Averillo fails and possibly a TPA to go with it.
Big doubt, stays at Panther with that offer.

Time for Averillo to show what he can do at fullback is over, you recruit a year in advance.