Official Stephen Crichton signs with the Bulldogs 2024

Do you think Crighton will make a good fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He has all the attributes, great runner, great hands, great fitness, great defender and great temprement. He is an athlete that if he put in the work and with good coaching, there is no doubt in my mind he could be a potential world class fullback. CC and Gus would be best placed to make that call. Would it be worth paying big for that potential when Avo may turn into a good fullback is a different conversation
I don't agree. Crichton is just another great athlete that has thrived as an outside back in a dominant system, take him away from that system and there's a chance he isn't the same player, take him away from that system AND try to convert him to fullback where he has literally no runs on the board and there's even more of a chance he isn't the same player. He didn't even play fullback ahead of Laurie or Staines in SG and Flegg, don't think he's even played there for Samoa either...so again he's got basically no competitive experience there.

It's just way too big a gamble for me (unless he retains his current salary) and I'm not sure why people are so convinced it's going to work when it has so often gone wrong in the past for clubs in our position. People are acting like he's Joey Manu...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How exactly has he been treated? He was given every opportunity in the halves (he in his own words said he wanted to play there). He was then played in the centres when he proved useless in the halves. And then moved to fullback where he excelled for a few weeks and then somehow got found out and started letting the ball bounce of kicks, not putting his body on the line etc.

Don’t get me wrong I’m a huge fan and want Averillo to succeed, but it seems that he’s a protected species in your eyes. Other players who have not gone as bad (eg. Burton) cop so much more flack from you for much less wrong
Being dumped into a terrible team without proper development and support certainly isn't being given every opportunity.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't agree. Crichton is just another great athlete that has thrived as an outside back in a dominant system, take him away from that system and there's a chance he isn't the same player, take him away from that system AND try to convert him to fullback where he has literally no runs on the board and there's even more of a chance he isn't the same player. He didn't even play fullback ahead of Laurie or Staines in SG and Flegg, don't think he's even played there for Samoa either...so again he's got basically no competitive experience there.

It's just way too big a gamble for me (unless he retains his current salary) and I'm not sure why people are so convinced it's going to work when it has so often gone wrong in the past for clubs in our position. People are acting like he's Joey Manu...
He is not Joey Manu and I wouldn't pay huge money for Crichton (as a fullback) when we already have Avo. IMO, we need to spend our cash on a 7.

CC and Gus have seen enough of Crichton and if we do sign him as a FB - i trust their judgement.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Being dumped into a terrible team without proper development and support certainly isn't being given every opportunity.
He was poorly coached and selected as a half and should of been tried at FB last year and then this thread probably wouldn't exist.

I wouldnt say he didnt have opportunity though - Baz stuck with him at half even when he was clearly not up to it

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He is not Joey Manu and I wouldn't pay huge money for Crichton (as a fullback) when we already have Avo. IMO, we need to spend our cash on a 7.

CC and Gus have seen enough of Crichton and if we do sign him as a FB - i trust their judgement.
Yes 7 is the priority but unfortunately there's no one available so we're going to have to pull something out of our arse if we're any chance or hope Burton turns it up a few levels and turns out to be the player some on here think he is already.

Gus also rated Blake as the next superstar of the game and gave him a massive deal...Panther then released him months later and only just stopped having to pay part of his contract. Crichton very much reminds me of Blake coming through, not as erratic as him though.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes 7 is the priority but unfortunately there's no one available so we're going to have to pull something out of our arse if we're any chance or hope Burton turns it up a few levels and turns out to be the player some on here think he is already.

Gus also rated Blake as the next superstar of the game and gave him a massive deal...Panther then released him months later and only just stopped having to pay part of his contract. Crichton very much reminds me of Blake coming through, not as erratic as him though.
You cant compare Crichton to Blake...both athletically gifted but Blake has always had feet for hands. I hope we persist Avo - Crichton will be on big coin to come to us and eat too much of the cap on a gamble. Hopefully Sullivan or someone takes the opportunity next year and CC coaches the fck out the team. I think Reed and Kikz make a huge difference to the players around them. Reed's service is second to none and Kikz gives players around him space and also runs the best lines in the NRL

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
One thing on the comparison to avo and edwards. I recall edwards being suspect under bombs but never being a pussy to either contest it mentally(e.g let it bounce or pull out of the catch) or afraid of contact in defence or attack. Averilo has both issues already. That is dufty like. Not edwards like.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People also underestimate how hard it would've been to develop as a young player in what was possibly one of the worst sides in the modern era of the game. A team with literally no attack, a team with no clue and no real senior players to learn off. He's also already had 3 different NRL coaches despite only being 22..as you said there's absolutely no suprise that he has confidence issues or has developed bad habits.
Or maybe his just a shit ****.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
He has probably the 2 most important tries in the last 2 grand finals. Is he clutch?

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
[emoji838][emoji836]️ꜱᴛᴇᴘʜᴇɴ ᴄʀɪᴄʜᴛᴏɴ ᴄʟᴏꜱᴇ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇᴘᴏʀᴛᴇᴅʟʏ ꜱɪɢɴɪɴɢ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴅᴏɢꜱ ғᴏʀ 2024[emoji836]️[emoji838]

Stephen Chrichton Is reportedly closing in on a deal to sign with the Bulldogs for fullback in 2024, Reportly Penrith can only afford to offer him a 1 year deal.

This has been ramped up as Stephen is in Sydney from the world cup and reportedly the club cannot match the offer for Mitch Moses from West Tigers.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
[emoji838][emoji836]️ꜱᴛᴇᴘʜᴇɴ ᴄʀɪᴄʜᴛᴏɴ ᴄʟᴏꜱᴇ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇᴘᴏʀᴛᴇᴅʟʏ ꜱɪɢɴɪɴɢ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴅᴏɢꜱ ғᴏʀ 2024[emoji836]️[emoji838]

Stephen Chrichton Is reportedly closing in on a deal to sign with the Bulldogs for fullback in 2024, Reportly Penrith can only afford to offer him a 1 year deal.

This has been ramped up as Stephen is in Sydney from the world cup and reportedly the club cannot match the offer for Mitch Moses from West Tigers.
Only positive of this is we avoided overpaying Moses but instead overpaid Crighton but for much less in a position I thought we could have covered with Averillo. Seems 100% confirmed with that guy’s mail at the petrol station.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have not issue signing Chrichton he is a quality player and will add quality to the team. He just isn’t an elite player.

My only concern is that he will be paid as an elite player. I hope TPA’s come into any deal here. The one positive will be he is quality but not quite good enough for origin. So we won’t lose him for that.

Moses on the other hand is definitely not an elite halfback. He is lucky he is in the position that he is. He is the only good option that’s currently on the market. So teams are desperate. The reported 1.4m the Tigers are offering. Shows the Tigers haven’t learnt a thing. He is a good player but far from great.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Moses at 1.4 is ludicrous. Though we need him A fuckload more than we do Crichton. If Moses was interested on that mil mark we need to land a 7.

Otherwise George Williams with Crichton is probably almost what the tigers are offering for Moses alone.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moses at 1.4 is ludicrous. Though we need him A fuckload more than we do Crichton. If Moses was interested on that mil mark we need to land a 7.

Otherwise George Williams with Crichton is probably almost what the tigers are offering for Moses alone.
100% a Crichton & Williams combination is much better option than Moses at that money.

I think with Williams contract situation it might actually cost more to get him. But at least that’s not cap money. That would be uncle Arthur’s transfer money from his car Centre console.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I thought he and Luai among other's really stood up in the world cup. I'm not sure whether or not he could be a top fullback, but he's always going to provide value. I'm pretty confident with the new club leadership including Gus that we won't offer him massive dollars.

I personally was hoping they'd give the Fox a run at fullback.. I don't think there's anything a guy like Papenhuyzen does that Fox couldn't do in the 1. But I'll back whatever the club decides to do.

Joelmcevoy2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah i still got a feeling we will get moses even though people said we wont why would he go to tigers to win the wooden spoon

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the doubts about Crichton as a fullback but as a player he is excellent. Virtually everything he does is high quality and my only criticism is that he doesn't do enough of it. Once his involvement improves he will be very special. I'll leave it to Gus to work out whether he could adapt well to fullback and deserve that pay packet cause it's hard to judge without seeing it, but he is a natural footballer and a much better prospect than Avo.