Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lol. The stats say that DCE out played JT

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL at all the Trent Hodkinson haters, even when he plays well his opposite number was terrible LOL I think you will find that bar one game Trent has out played DCE. My patience is wearing very thin with all the haters!!
I agree, the crap he cops on here sometimes is ridiculous. He plays well and people look for reasons / stats as to why he didn't play well. That way is makes their hate of him justified.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
DCE is a brilliant nrl half but a complete shithouse origin half. Nothing kicks to no one and B. U. S. H'd all night.
I agree with this entirely.

DCE goes better when he is just allowed to run amok but you can't do that versus a squad like the blues.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'll reiterate what a lot of others have said.

If you're going by the role you were given then Hodkinson surely outplayed DCE, but if you're discussing it from a halves perspective how on earth did Hodkinson have an amazing game? He didn't make a single attacking or long kick coming out of his half the entire game. The reason he didn't have crap kicks is the kicks he did made were straight into the touch in the last 10 minutes. He didn't set up the attacks and apart from 2 decent runs he didn't provide anything in particular short of catching and passing. His defense was great i'll give him that as was his goal kicking. A half that makes 2 kicks for 30m the entire game is not a good half.

But as far as a remember what qualifies as a good halfback is having a decent kick gaming, able to set up attacks and direct the troops. If i was given a role of running just straight and nothing else and i made no mistakes then i would've had a perfect game with regards to my role but that wouldn't make me a good player nor would it mean i "outplayed" anyone else that has ten times the responsibility i have. Hodkinson wasn't better than Pearce or Farah in terms of playmaking, the only thing he did best was play his role to perfection (Not kick, not being the focal point of attack and not calling the shots). If anything Hodkinson played more like a forward with some ball playing skills than a half

DCE had a terrible game by comparison because he was responsible for QLD's attack, kicks and general play, all of which he was abysmal at last night.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
$10m DCE slammed the he sea eagles harder than a chit house door

jamesb

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thought he was solid and showed improvement, the timing of his passes to the outside guys (Hoffman and Jennings) allowed them a bit of space and got them good metres. His own two runs at least looked a little threatening which is a massive improvement.

He was solid without being outstanding but I thought a big improvement on where he has been

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nsw had a plan of running at DCE all game and they did that to perfection. He did nothing because he was ****ed.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought Hodko played decent, without being outstanding..

At his best, he's a solid half without setting the world on fire...

Proud of all our doggies boys tonight!!
This. DCE looked more threatening even if it didnt show it statistically.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
i'll reiterate what a lot of others have said.

If you're going by the role you were given then hodkinson surely outplayed dce, but if you're discussing it from a halves perspective how on earth did hodkinson have an amazing game? He didn't make a single attacking or long kick coming out of his half the entire game. The reason he didn't have crap kicks is the kicks he did made were straight into the touch in the last 10 minutes. He didn't set up the attacks and apart from 2 decent runs he didn't provide anything in particular short of catching and passing. His defense was great i'll give him that as was his goal kicking. A half that makes 2 kicks for 30m the entire game is not a good half.

But as far as a remember what qualifies as a good halfback is having a decent kick gaming, able to set up attacks and direct the troops. If i was given a role of running just straight and nothing else and i made no mistakes then i would've had a perfect game with regards to my role but that wouldn't make me a good player nor would it mean i "outplayed" anyone else that has ten times the responsibility i have. Hodkinson wasn't better than pearce or farah in terms of playmaking, the only thing he did best was play his role to perfection (not kick, not being the focal point of attack and not calling the shots). If anything hodkinson played more like a forward with some ball playing skills than a half

dce had a terrible game by comparison because he was responsible for qld's attack, kicks and general play, all of which he was abysmal at last night.
well said!!

doggies15

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
LOL did whoever write this article actually watch the game.

Lets compare Trents mind blowing stats from tonight compared to DCE. I shall score 1 point for each stats winner.

Trent Hodkinson
2 Runs for 19m
1 Try Assist (literally a pass to a guy next to him).
14 tackles / 1 missed / 0 One on One
0 offloads
1 Line Break Assist (again a pass to someone next to him).
2 kicks for 30m

DCE
7 Runs for 28m
1 Try Assist
2 Tackle Breaks
26 tackles / 5 missed / 1 One on One
1 Offload
1 Line Break Assist
5 kicks for 150m

No of Runs - DCE
Metres Gained - DCE
Try Assists - EQUAL
Tackle Breaks - DCE
No of Tackles - DCE
Least Missed Tackles - Hodko
No of One on One Tackles - DCE
Offloads - DCE
No of Kicks - DCE
Kick Metres - DCE

SAME: 1
TRENT: 1
DCE: 8

Summary - DCE kicked Hodkos arse in all stats bar missed tackles.
doesn't mean anything, dce played shit, hodko wasn't masterclass but atleast he played solid, he had 2 runs to dce's 7 and still only 9 meters less then dce and so what if he passed it to the guy next to him, what did you want? did you want him go flamboyant instead of taking the safe bet? dce's stats didnt do anything last night.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone else notice Hodkinson seemed to have had his kicking licence revoked last night?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
My stats prove that Trent actually did nothing much out there. He played the same sort of game he always does.

If you don't offload, you have no offloads. If you don't attempt a tackle, you have 0 missed tackles.

If Trent had the combined stats of both of them, then I'd be impressed, but he doesn't.

He didn't do anything that any other NRL player couldn't. **** even George Rose can do more than 2 runs for 19m, kick more than 30m, and more than 1 try assist and line break assist, PLUS with big George you get tackle breaks and the odd offload.

Trent was made to look good by those around him, and by nor doing much at all, and instead letting Pearce take over. It was the same pedestrian attack he shows in our team, the same 5th tackle options, etc etc.

Simply put: If he played the game he did last night for the Bulldogs, we wouldn't be praising him as much as we are..

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My stats prove that Trent actually did nothing much out there. He played the same sort of game he always does.

If you don't offload, you have no offloads. If you don't attempt a tackle, you have 0 missed tackles.

If Trent had the combined stats of both of them, then I'd be impressed, but he doesn't.

He didn't do anything that any other NRL player couldn't. **** even George Rose can do more than 2 runs for 19m, kick more than 30m, and more than 1 try assist and line break assist, PLUS with big George you get tackle breaks and the odd offload.

Trent was made to look good by those around him, and by nor doing much at all, and instead letting Pearce take over. It was the same pedestrian attack he shows in our team, the same 5th tackle options, etc etc.

Simply put: If he played the game he did last night for the Bulldogs, we wouldn't be praising him as much as we are..
This.

I don't understand why its so hard for people to grip this concept. Hodkinson didn't make errors because he never had enough of the ball to make said errors. If you don't drive you can't crash a car, doesn't make you a better driver than someone that does crash their car occasionally. If you don't run it doesn't mean you're a faster runner than someone who has an average running speed.

How hard is it to understand that Hodkinson didn't make a single kick save for the two at the final 10 minutes of the second half, and those were kicks that even forwards could do 9 times out of 10. If he doesn't kick at all it doesn't make him a better kicker than Pearce, Farah, DCE, Thurston and Smith. The contribution that Hodkinson made last night could easily be filled by almost anyone that has 1. Good Defence 2. Good Goalkicking 3. Able to catch and pass. Greg Bird could've filled his role last night, so could J.Graham. He was solid, but he was not a better half than any of the other halves on the pitch because he didn't play like a halfback.

He "outplayed" DCE and i use that word very sparingly because he did the role that was assigned to him by Daley to perfection and DCE absolutely failed his role completely. If NSW were given the choice of picking DCE or Hodkinson who the hell do you think they'd pick?

DCE could've played Hodkinson's role for NSW last night to perfection as well. He didn't f*ck up but he didn't do anything of note either

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NSW did a number on DCE, just sent traffic at him all game. I checked the stats and he had to make more tackles than most forwards.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score

Of course not, he plays a different role in the Origin team than he is meant to at The Bulldogs. F**k me dead, did he root your missus or something? He did the job he was out there to do and the team won (unless you somehow know Lauries game plan for him and would like to share it with us all). Evans failed big time and his team lost.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NSW did a number on DCE, just sent traffic at him all game. I checked the stats and he had to make more tackles than most forwards.
Pretty smart play if you ask me. It's like how certain teams decide to kick straight to Slater on purpose then proceed to hammer him every time he ran the ball back, really slows you down.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty smart play if you ask me. It's like how certain teams decide to kick straight to Slater on purpose then proceed to hammer him every time he ran the ball back, really slows you down.
Yep bang on, it was a great plan.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Of course not, he plays a different role in the Origin team than he is meant to at The Bulldogs. F**k me dead, did he root your missus or something? He did the job he was out there to do and the team won (unless you somehow know Lauries game plan for him and would like to share it with us all). Evans failed big time and his team lost.
So based on what you're saying there, Hodkinson is fine for the Bulldogs as long as we have the entire NSW Origin team playing for us week in week out. Yes he did his role to perfection last night and yes that means he was solid, but given his stats weren't ANY different to what he usually conjures up for the 'Dogs minus a few errors and shoddy kicks, it still means he shouldn't walk straight back into our side.

If he can play the role NSW need then great, he's a perfect fit for the NSW Origin team, sadly for him, there's only 3 Origin games in a year.

He can't play the role needed of him at the 'Dogs because we don't need a half that only does what he did last night. We need a half that can produce long kicks (All 3 of our halves fail at this pretty epically), organise attacking plays, atleast one to have some degree of flair and defend adequately. Hodkinson at best can defend adequately and thus he is not suitable for playing for the 'Dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.