Opinion Starting 13 of Players Let Go

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No point crying over spilt milk!

I think every team could produce a similar list, although we have replaced the players we have lost with less talented footballers!

It's what we do next that matters.

Currently we do have some talented juniors at our club, so step one is to retain the best and put in systems to let them reach their full potential in our colours.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Klemmer defenitely was, CHN arguably.
Agree re Klemmer. He held the club to ransom saying he needed to get out of Sydney for his family. But then the other week I red in the Newcastle Herald that the only way he would move back to Sydney would be for football. So he obviously can live in Sydney and should have been made to honour his contract. We signed Napa to similar money so it didnt even create cap space.

Same with Barba. Couldnt live in Sydney and needed to get home to family in QLD. 18 months later he signs for Cronulla.

Unfortunately our once great club is a shadow of its former self.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Agree re Klemmer. He held the club to ransom saying he needed to get out of Sydney for his family. But then the other week I red in the Newcastle Herald that the only way he would move back to Sydney would be for football. So he obviously can live in Sydney and should have been made to honour his contract. We signed Napa to similar money so it didnt even create cap space.

Same with Barba. Couldnt live in Sydney and needed to get home to family in QLD. 18 months later he signs for Cronulla.

It saved us ~200k which let us afford Crichton!

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No point crying over spilt milk!

I think every team could produce a similar list, although we have replaced the players we have lost with less talented footballers!

It's what we do next that matters.

Currently we do have some talented juniors at our club, so step one is to retain the best and put in systems to let them reach their full potential in our colours.
You have just proven my point when you say that we have replaced them with less talented players. The point was that the team we have let go would trounce our current team.

There may not be a point crying over spilt milk but there aint much more to talk about in relation to the current side.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

He didn't hold the club to ransom, the current admin failed to honour the agreement between him and previous management and refused to negotiate any sort of compromise with him. There were obviously other issues but this was the big one that pushed him away in the end. Maybe if management were more "resourceful" he might still be here and joined by a few others..

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Every year teams lose players due to the cap and making room for juniors. But I dont think any club's recruitment and retention has been anywhere near as horrible as ours has. To put it in perspective I have named a starting 13 of players we have let go over the past decade. This team would easily thrash our current side. No other team in the comp would have a starting 13 of players let go that could challenge their current team let alone thrash them.

1. Corey Thompson 2. Brett Morris 3. Josh Morris 4. Morgan Harper 5. Tommy Talua 6. Josh Reynolds 7. Aiden Sezer 8. Marty Tapau 9. Damien Cook 10. David Klemmer 11. Shaun Lane 12. CHN 13. Dale Finucane

There are a few there with an asterix (like Klemmer and CHN). But if our club would have been run better we could have kept them.

Some of the decisions made have fair dinkum been criminal. Maybe the worst of all was Finucane. Made his debut at the club and is exactly the type of hard nose forward we have been missing for the past few years. And dont even get me started on Cook. Keeping Lichha over him is a hanging offence.

Does anyone know who is currently heading up recruitment ? Hopefully its someone whose eyes are not farking painted on.
Thanks Des (mostly)

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Every year teams lose players due to the cap and making room for juniors. But I dont think any club's recruitment and retention has been anywhere near as horrible as ours has. To put it in perspective I have named a starting 13 of players we have let go over the past decade. This team would easily thrash our current side. No other team in the comp would have a starting 13 of players let go that could challenge their current team let alone thrash them.

1. Corey Thompson 2. Brett Morris 3. Josh Morris 4. Morgan Harper 5. Tommy Talua 6. Josh Reynolds 7. Aiden Sezer 8. Marty Tapau 9. Damien Cook 10. David Klemmer 11. Shaun Lane 12. CHN 13. Dale Finucane

There are a few there with an asterix (like Klemmer and CHN). But if our club would have been run better we could have kept them.

Some of the decisions made have fair dinkum been criminal. Maybe the worst of all was Finucane. Made his debut at the club and is exactly the type of hard nose forward we have been missing for the past few years. And dont even get me started on Cook. Keeping Lichha over him is a hanging offence.

Does anyone know who is currently heading up recruitment ? Hopefully its someone whose eyes are not farking painted on.
Nasheed here,
Good effort, but I'd like to point out that we didn't let go Reynolds. He was poached. We offered a very attractive 500k deal a year fro four years, but were blown out of the water by the tigers 750 or whatever it was over the same period.
He just got that once in a lifetime deal.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Good effort, but I'd like to point out that we didn't let go Reynolds. He was poached. We offered a very attractive 500k deal a year fro four years, but were blown out of the water by the tigers 750 or whatever it was over the same period.
He just got that once in a lifetime deal.
Yep fair point . But I reckon if we offered him 600k he would have stayed .
Not saying that is good business but I would rather him at 600k than Foran at 1.2 million and that was the decision made

Reynolds was let go because Des wanted Foran

HippDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Let’s not worry bout the players we lose instead the players we gain when we replace those guys look at roosters for an example

Rts> Tedesco
Mitchell> Morris
Cronk> flannagan

the personel that they have recruited which have big shoes to fill and have stepped up and improved

Yet for us

Klemmer> Napa
Reynolds> Lewis
Cook> lichaa

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Let’s not worry bout the players we lose instead the players we gain when we replace those guys look at roosters for an example

Rts> Tedesco
Mitchell> Morris
Cronk> flannagan

the personel that they have recruited which have big shoes to fill and have stepped up and improved

Yet for us

Klemmer> Napa
Reynolds> Lewis
Cook> lichaa
Napa was Klemmer's replacement.
Lewis wasn't Reynolds replacement. If I remember correctly he debut sometime between the mid and end of the year. Foran was Reynolds' replacement.
Lichaa was Ennis' replacement. Cook was the one that got away.

It's also a lot easier to get the replacement you want when you're one of the best teams in the competition. When you're a middle table or bottom team good luck.

Saying that, still a lot of bad decisions recruitment/roster wise.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s and buts
Some left for more money
Some bad decisions
Some needed moving on
Etc
Etc
Etc

End of the day it ain’t helping us, so why even bother

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

But we needed to let Kee go to get cap space for Dylan. There's no way we could have had both so would have had to make a Sophie's choice anyway.