Stanley fights back after pre-season infection in shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
An infected shoulder disrupted Chase Stanley's pre-season, with the Bulldogs outside back hospital-bound for two and a half weeks as he fought off the bacteria.
The luckless Stanley had undergone an operation to repair two tendons in his right shoulder last October. While the operation went smoothly, it was two weeks later that he was called by the hospital and told he needed to return.
"I was in hospital for an extra two and a half weeks before I got another line in me," Stanley said. "I had a PICC line for another month. The nurse was coming around [to my house] changing it every day. I had to walk around with the canister for a month. It was tough."
The injury forced Stanley to cancel a family holiday to Thailand. It also delayed his return to pre-season. Stanley did not re-join the Bulldogs until the end of January, while it was midway through February before he resumed full contact.
"I couldn't sweat, I couldn't train. I couldn't do anything until that PICC line was out," Stanley said. "I wasn't able to do anything, I couldn't exert myself. I couldn't even walk on a treadmill
"It was in there for a month so you have to keep it fresh and clean otherwise it gets infected. The kids had to watch out. My kids were pretty good with it. They thought I [was carrying] a soft drink, but I was telling them it was medicine."
Stanley's career has been plagued by injuries, including a shoulder reconstruction on his other shoulder. The injuries are nothing like that of younger brother Kyle, who underwent his fifth knee reconstruction after damaging it playing for the Sharks in the NSW Cup earlier this year.
"I've had a lot of things thrown at me," Stanley said. "It was a delay but what can you do? You just get on with it and try and keep your head up. I've been through a lot of injuries, mentally I knew what I had to do.
"Kyle has had a rougher road than me. We talk about it but not too much. Who wants to talk about getting injured all the time? Everyone else talks about it. He has had his operation. He is in a good head space at the moment."
Stanley will play his first top-grade game since August 1 after having been named for a new-look Bulldogs team to play St George Illawarra at ANZ Stadium on Sunday. Despite being named on the bench, Stanley could force his way into the starting side.
"I'm excited to be back out there with the boys," Stanley said. 'It'll be a tough game. I'm looking forward to it. I've got good friends at the Dragons. They've had a good fortnight. We are just going to have to match them. We are looking forward to the challenge."

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fark me. This bloke and his brother must have the emotional stability of a tree. If I had half of what he has dealt with Id lose the plot

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hope he stays fit....really need him for the next month or so.

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
"Who wants to talk about getting injured all the time? Everyone else talks about it."
Gosh, poor guys. The only thing I knew about him before he came to the dogs was that he got injured a lot, but I really rated him after seeing those games he played for us last year. Fingers crossed that that previous surgery was his last!

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Poor guy, i really hope he finds some luck as some people playing in the NRL don't deserve the success they have while this bloke struggles and carries on like a good citizen.

What would cause an infection like that anyway?

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Poor guy, i really hope he finds some luck as some people playing in the NRL don't deserve the success they have while this bloke struggles and carries on like a good citizen.

What would cause an infection like that anyway?
All invasive surgeries carry the risk of infection and unfortunately he copped one

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
So we need Stanley to stay fit until Loko is back and the Loko to stay fit until Lafai is back.

It'll be touch and go lol

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
All invasive surgeries carry the risk of infection and unfortunately he copped one
A report just came out saying hospital hygiene practices have been slipping and most infections are avoidable if the hospital is up yo scratch

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
all the best to him, hes due for a run of luck however i believe his best position is on the wing

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really like Chase Stanley. Every time he's run out on the field for us he's always been great.

I'd love to see him play a whole game however without breaking down with some injury.

If there was a such thing as bubble wrap footy, Chase Stanley would be the Jonathan Thurston of that sport. lol

Barba

TANK
Reaction score
whenever he's played he has been great for us

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A report just came out saying hospital hygiene practices have been slipping and most infections are avoidable if the hospital is up yo scratch
Allot of cleaners and nurses get slack after a few years so it doesn't surprise me.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Last time he played for us, he was actually very good, before his shoulder exploded.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Play well Chase we all know what your capable of

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes a very good player hopefully he stays healthy and kills it

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
When was the last time the entire Kennel agreed on something? Is this what heaven is like?

Good luck, Stanley.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last year he would've been in the top 17 if he didn't always get injured. He will do a good job for us.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Last time he played for us, he was actually very good, before his shoulder exploded.
Yeah, I remember the game in which he stuffed it. Got to the try line though. Please. Please, let him have a good year this year and show us all what type of footy he can really play.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Absolute joke if he gets signed again. He and his bro are average players but they have spent 90% of their careers injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.