Staggs offer

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But where do Alomoti and Schoup fit?? They are both very highly regarded, and I recall we had to battle it out with many other clubs to get Schoupps signature.
That's a pretty good point. Where is Schoup's prefered position? Guessing it might be a season or two at best before Alomoti is 1st grade ready.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Schoupp should be playing now. Alamoti is still a few years away. But yes I'm not buying Staggs, too much money, injury concerns and off field drama. But we definitely need to add a few outside backs to the roster.
I agree on Schoupp. And that must mean that moving forward Cotric goes back to wing to allow for Alomoti.
We definitely shouldn't be chasing a 700k centre right now, especially when other positions need addressing first. But to be honest, I don't really think we are chasing Staggs.
I also think there is a very good chance Allan will be in the centres or at wing next year.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
But where do Alomoti and Schoup fit?? They are both very highly regarded, and I recall we had to battle it out with many other clubs to get Schoupps signature.
Getting concerned that we buy these good youngsters. Pay good money for them yet they don't seem to progress further.

If it continues to happen, we'll get an undesirable reputation of not developing or giving them opportunities.

He should have been in the Top 30 and some others dropped out from Top 30 during pre-season....(but we don't know what's the full story or the plan, so ...)

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree on Schoupp. And that must mean that moving forward Cotric goes back to wing to allow for Alomoti.
We definitely shouldn't be chasing a 700k centre right now, especially when other positions need addressing first. But to be honest, I don't really think we are chasing Staggs.
I also think there is a very good chance Allan will be in the centres or at wing next year.
you seem to love hypothetically swapping players positions i've noticed lol why wouldn't Schoupp just come in as a straight swap for an underwhelming Hoppa? who cares that he is on big bucks he is plain...agree we need to know if Schoupp is really any good what's the consensus? Averillo level hype or a couple of rungs less?
Alamoti likely a 2023 proposition at best(turns 19 just before season kickoff)

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Getting concerned that we buy these good youngsters. Pay good money for them yet they don't seem to progress further.

If it continues to happen, we'll get an undesirable reputation of not developing or giving them opportunities.

He should have been in the Top 30 and some others dropped out from Top 30 during pre-season....(but we don't know what's the full story or the plan, so ...)
after watching shouppe play new cup on the weekend, he isnt up to first grade yet IMO.
maybe there was a reason St George let him go?

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Schoupp should be playing now. Alamoti is still a few years away. But yes I'm not buying Staggs, too much money, injury concerns and off field drama. But we definitely need to add a few outside backs to the roster.
Its a hard one isn't it though.....Melb has shown that in a good system average backs(or forwards) can perform at a level good enough for NRL.
They have been able to do this with brilliant spines & solid forwards. Unfortunately we have a below average spine & forwards. I think this is the reason people hold out hope for "difference maker" players like Staggs...
The kind of shirt filler backs that would do the job in the Melb system are serious problems in our team as the supporting cast isn't here to make up for the deficiencies we have. Hopefully we have some more astute singings at reasonable $$$, along with some additional juniors developing & coming in..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Its a hard one isn't it though.....Melb has shown that in a good system average backs(or forwards) can perform at a level good enough for NRL.
They have been able to do this with brilliant spines & solid forwards. Unfortunately we have a below average spine & forwards. I think this is the reason people hold out hope for "difference maker" players like Staggs...
The kind of shirt filler backs that would do the job in the Melb system are serious problems in our team as the supporting cast isn't here to make up for the deficiencies we have. Hopefully we have some more astute singings at reasonable $$$, along with some additional juniors developing & coming in..
People just need to look at the "difference" Staggs made for the Broncos. They got the spoon lol. That should change their minds enough to not want us to chase every marquee outside back that's available.

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nah at that price brush him. His price will come down after playing with Kevvie.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
you seem to love hypothetically swapping players positions i've noticed lol why wouldn't Schoupp just come in as a straight swap for an underwhelming Hoppa? who cares that he is on big bucks he is plain...agree we need to know if Schoupp is really any good what's the consensus? Averillo level hype or a couple of rungs less?
Alamoti likely a 2023 proposition at best(turns 19 just before season kickoff)
Im not hypothetically just moving players accross the park, bnless Allan kills it this year, im sure Barrett will find a place for Averilo next year, and i think fb is where his long term future lies. Its clearly not at 5/8 as we have signed Burton. And regardless of what people think of his performances over the first 2 rounds, the kid can play, and as he matures he will no doubt improve and warrant a starting spot. So that puts him at fb, and Allan to the wing or centre. Wouldnt you agree? Naturally Schoupp replaces Hoppa, but with JAC signed for next year, and Okunbours return this year, where does that leave Allan? Then, come 2023, wheres alomoti going to fit? So theres no doubt a hypothetical nature to what im saying, but it seems likely also.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
after watching shouppe play new cup on the weekend, he isnt up to first grade yet IMO.
maybe there was a reason St George let him go?
St. George didnt want to let him go, and a number of other clubs were lining up to sign him. It was considered a coup at the time we signed him. Lets not forget the horrible conditions on saturday, and the fact we were comprehensively outplayed. He was solid in the trial.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
St. George didnt want to let him go, and a number of other clubs were lining up to sign him. It was considered a coup at the time we signed him. Lets not forget the horrible conditions on saturday, and the fact we were comprehensively outplayed. He was solid in the trial.
mate he is on minimum wage, so if they wanted to keep him they would.
but i havent seen enough to convince me he is the real deal. We have had some bad conditions i agree so hopefully both teams get a dry deck

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
mate he is on minimum wage, so if they wanted to keep him they would.
but i havent seen enough to convince me he is the real deal. We have had some bad conditions i agree so hopefully both teams get a dry deck
I doubt he is on minimum. Not on big bucks either, but thats not exactly the point. A number of clubs wanted to sign him, but it wasnt a bidding war, it was simply a case of him being a talented young centre that a number of clubs were interested in.
You cant just keep a player because you "want to". Its their decision.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What did Penrith pay to re-sign Chrichton? 600-650k? He did nothing tonight.

We signed Burton for 500k who was the best player on the field. That's how you spend your cap space. Not by spending 600-700k plus on centres.