Stadiums help results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So I was on a 6 week holiday from early November to mid December traveling across 5 countries watching futbol (soccer) from teams such as Man Utd, R.Madrid, Barca, Dortmund, Celtic, Ajax etc. And the thing I noticed was just how much the crowd can push forward a team and how much more enjoyable being a fan becomes, during the Man Utd and Dortmund game everytime the fans raised the volume up a notch the players ran that extra bit faster, that extra bit harder, and put that extra effort in, the same as Barcelona and to a lesser extent Real Madrid. And while watching teams like Dortmund, Celtic, Ajax and Man Utd play the atmosphere was incredible, and that was because the fans were all together in a near capacity stadium singing and pushing the team forward. The common factor in most of the matches was how the crowd helped there team secure the result.

So it got me thinking if Bulldogs played in a smaller stadium, lets say a stadium with a 30,000 capacity would it help us like it did with other teams over the years such as it did with the Sharks this past season, (I know that soccer is completely different to NRL in terms of atmospheres as Soccer matches attract way more fans and are able to get more chants going). First we would be able to get some chants going during the game even though we would need to get more creative with more chants. Us the fans would have a better experience during gameday because there would be more emotion involved and we would be all be next to one another instead of having 55,000 + empty seats every home game. Also I'm a believer that players start momentum but fans maintain it during the course of a game, to explain, even though the players can get an upper hand during the game, to maintain the dominance they need the fans backing them up and its almost impossible to do this at ANZ due to the fact that the fans are so spread out around the stadium that the fans can't gee up the team as a whole. Just think back to the first game we had back at belmore and the magical feeling we all had.

So just how much better would gameday be if all the fans got to the game in a near packed out capacity with the sound of the fans and the drums echoing around the stadium and having that true home game feeling because at the moment we play 24 away games a season because an empty ANZ can't be considered a home game.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our record at Belmore since our return is poor.. if they turnup without any passion the result will be the same regardless of where we play

Last edited:

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new generation of fans are nothin like the older ones. i remember back in the day at belmore.. wow now that was atmosphere but league will never be like soccer, we can only dream.

U lucky bastard tho... one thing i really wana do is watch an epl game live or even better a turkish game, besiktas, who hold the record for the loudest fans . wish the kennel could ramp it up this yr .

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL atmosphere is nothing compared to Europe.. and forget ANZ it gives us zero home ground advantage

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How would those fans react to a dubious call? Would be scary

I saw a couple of clips where the referees were shot dead in the middle of a match

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
NRL atmosphere is nothing compared to Europe.. and forget ANZ it gives us zero home ground advantage
Although, neither does belmore.
The players have to give a shit and understand the sense of occasion that comes with playing at our traditional home.
Ours don't.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just to respond to the Belmore comments, I honestly think that us only playing there twice a year doesn't help, not to mention our actual playing style doesn't help.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How would those fans react to a dubious call? Would be scary

I saw a couple of clips where the referees were shot dead in the middle of a match
They would be wild but not to the point of it being scary, but honestly I'm jealous of the fact that those fans can experience that at every home game.

N

Natboy

There is already enough embarrassing clowns at our our games.
I couldn't stand it if we ended up like the western Sydney wankers or whatever they are called in the gay-league

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There is already enough embarrassing clowns at our our games.
I couldn't stand it if we ended up like the western Sydney wankers or whatever they are called in the gay-league
A small group of about 5-10 down the end of ANZ tried to start something a few years back but didn't really get any traction. People say that the dynamics of RL vs Football make active support hard/not feasible however I think that's crap. If enough people want to start it, it will happen - simple as that. The above comment is exactly why it is hard to gain traction. Is it fear of other codes or simple ignorance?

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A small group of about 5-10 down the end of ANZ tried to start something a few years back but didn't really get any traction. People say that the dynamics of RL vs Football make active support hard/not feasible however I think that's crap. If enough people want to start it, it will happen - simple as that. The above comment is exactly why it is hard to gain traction. Is it fear of other codes or simple ignorance?
I agree with every single word you said man. Usually you have a small group of mates at games trying to start an atmosphere but end up sitting down after 5 mins because no one joins them, everyone wants the dogs of war back, but most fail to realize that goes beyond just the players. I know that WSW get a lot of hate but if you ask the players what pushed them on there first 2-3 years when they won the asian champions league was the support and how the fans made every game feel like a final, obviously the fans haven't kept that atmosphere up the past year or 2 but it was great in the early stages.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Another question, if Dogs were to ever relocate where would it be? Would there need to be a new stadium built, share a current stadium, etc, because Belmore doesn't look like an option.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Another question, if Dogs were to ever relocate where would it be? Would there need to be a new stadium built, share a current stadium, etc, because Belmore doesn't look like an option.
With the reconfiguration of ANZ I don't think we will be moving anywhere. By the looks of it the viewing experience should become drastically better. Parramatta post reno will be easily the most ideal NRL stadium however that isn't an option.

In its current state ANZ is devoid of any atmosphere with a crowd of <45k. Even a group of 500+ would be extremely hard to hear. I have some hope though that in a rectangular stadium, with the atmosphere becoming vastly better, supporter groups with noise can begin to flourish.

N

Natboy

Is it fear of other codes or simple ignorance?
I just don't understand why people want to change rugby league to make it like another sport.
I don't know if you understand the roots of rugby league in Australia.

Do you want BMoz to score a try, take his jersey off and run away from the team like they are trying to rape him or a foot come within a metre of David Klemmer and he dives on the ground crying and pretending he's been shot by a sniper on the stadium roof??

I love the crowd noise at the AFL & NRL grand finals but that doesn't mean I want to sing and chant.
I just like to watch the game and there are already enough idiots making us cringe every week

Jackson.CT

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
ANZ stadium is to big for a fan base to support there team, all the supporters are to split up. There is more chanting at away games(even at ANZ)

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just don't understand why people want to change rugby league to make it like another sport.
I don't know if you understand the roots of rugby league in Australia.

Do you want BMoz to score a try, take his jersey off and run away from the team like they are trying to rape him or a foot come within a metre of David Klemmer and he dives on the ground crying and pretending he's been shot by a sniper on the stadium roof??

I love the crowd noise at the AFL & NRL grand finals but that doesn't mean I want to sing and chant.
I just like to watch the game and there are already enough idiots making us cringe every week
There are always sections of the stadium that are designed for familys or just normal people to sit down and enjoy the game but at the same time they (european soccer teams/stadiums) provide areas where fans can stand and sing and chant the whole game. For example if I go with my mates I wanna be able to chant and sing and cheer with them like a bunch of young lads but at other times if I go with my Girlfriend I want to be able to sit and enjoy the game with her, so why can't that be possible in a smaller stadium where rival teams actually fear coming to our ground.

Also no one wants the actual gameplay to change just the atmosphere

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree that the atmosphere would be better in a smaller stadium, but im not sure the crowd would, or even needs to behave differently.
ANZ stadium in its current layout is terrible for any sport on a rectangular field. Perhaps the renovations will change it into an amazing stadium. Maybe not. Maybe it will still be too big? I guess we will see.
Every live game i have managed to attend, i have always noticed our fans spread out all over the stadium, except for the kennel. This isnt always the case in other sports/countries.
When i was in brazil a few years ago, i watched vasco V flamenco, the biggest rivalry in brasilian football. It was pissing down rain, lightning and all, yet there were still 40 000 people there letting off flairs, beating drums and having a ball. It was insane!!!
One big difference appart from the obvious, was that the supporters were on opposite sides of the field. Mostly because rival supporters often kill eachother before or after games. The military police are there in massive numbers, and you cant buy beer with more then 0.2% alc.
Having all of the supporters in the same area of the stadium would change the atmosphere in my opinion. When you buy a ticket they should ask who you support, and give your seat allocation accordingly.
I know this isnt the perfect situation for some, but it would definitely give the crowd a stronger voice. Supporters would feed of eachother.
And lastly, maybe the NRL should play more doubleheaders in sydney!!!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is amazing atmosphere in rugby league depending on what teams are playing (e.g origin, pacific islands games)

Not only do you need to support your own team fanatically. But you need to hate the opposition.

I went to a few bati, Samoan, Tongan games and they were crazy. They cheer every hit up.

In terms of nrl. The stadiums are too big to get atmosphere besides the biggest games and the fans aren't as fanatical.

Jackson.CT

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree that the atmosphere would be better in a smaller stadium, but im not sure the crowd would, or even needs to behave differently.
ANZ stadium in its current layout is terrible for any sport on a rectangular field. Perhaps the renovations will change it into an amazing stadium. Maybe not. Maybe it will still be too big? I guess we will see.
Every live game i have managed to attend, i have always noticed our fans spread out all over the stadium, except for the kennel. This isnt always the case in other sports/countries.
When i was in brazil a few years ago, i watched vasco V flamenco, the biggest rivalry in brasilian football. It was pissing down rain, lightning and all, yet there were still 40 000 people there letting off flairs, beating drums and having a ball. It was insane!!!
One big difference appart from the obvious, was that the supporters were on opposite sides of the field. Mostly because rival supporters often kill eachother before or after games. The military police are there in massive numbers, and you cant buy beer with more then 0.2% alc.
Having all of the supporters in the same area of the stadium would change the atmosphere in my opinion. When you buy a ticket they should ask who you support, and give your seat allocation accordingly.
I know this isnt the perfect situation for some, but it would definitely give the crowd a stronger voice. Supporters would feed of eachother.
And lastly, maybe the NRL should play more doubleheaders in sydney!!!
They do have sections for each set of supporters, people just by tickets wherever they want though. I have know idea why anybody would wanna sit with opposition supporters.

Jackson.CT

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
There is amazing atmosphere in rugby league depending on what teams are playing (e.g origin, pacific islands games)

Not only do you need to support your own team fanatically. But you need to hate the opposition.

I went to a few bati, Samoan, Tongan games and they were crazy. They cheer every hit up.

In terms of nrl. The stadiums are too big to get atmosphere besides the biggest games and the fans aren't as fanatical.
Perfect Fucking Post. Perfect!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.