Official Stadium Australia Update

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The proposed rebuild of the Olympic Stadium and Football Stadium is a disgrace and a waste of tax payers money. The SFS just needed some renovation to modernise it for compliance instead of a knock down and rebuild. There was nothing wrong with the structure. Olympic Stadium is barely 20 years old. This was simply jobs for the boys and politics.
Agree on the SFS only needing a renovation but Stadium Australia was a shit design for rectangular sports from the beginning and it needed a complete rebuild.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree on the SFS only needing a renovation but Stadium Australia was a shit design for rectangular sports from the beginning and it needed a complete rebuild.
It was designed for the 2000 Olympics. There are far higher priorities than to spend $1 Billion+ of tax payers money to knock down a 20 year structurally sound stadium and rebuild a new one with a smaller capacity.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was designed for the 2000 Olympics. There are far higher priorities than to spend $1 Billion+ of tax payers money to knock down a 20 year structurally sound stadium and rebuild a new one with a smaller capacity.
It wasn't just designed for the Olympics it was designed long term to be Sydney's major stadium and it tried to cater for every sport which it failed to do.

$1 billion is nothing for a state budget the size of NSW when you consider you could get 40+ years of use from it if they do it properly this time.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Why not it will mean bigger crowds more money being spent more jobs better for the economy anyway.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not it will mean bigger crowds more money being spent more jobs better for the economy anyway.
The money to rebuild is coming out of our own pockets. A swanky new stadium to replace a 20 year old olympic stadium that is in good condition is a luxury. Priorities for tax payer spending are the essentials - health infrastructure trains roads etc.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wasn't just designed for the Olympics it was designed long term to be Sydney's major stadium and it tried to cater for every sport which it failed to do.

$1 billion is nothing for a state budget the size of NSW when you consider you could get 40+ years of use from it if they do it properly this time.
Stadiums properly built to code last a lot longer than 40 years. Commercial structures of that sort are usually rated for at least 100 years. Suspension bridges in Japan are rated for 200 years. Seoul Olympic Stadium 1988 and Munich 1972 are still being used. Tokyo 1964 recently rebuilt 50 years later only because of their new olympics otherwise it would have been retained. Knocking down a 20 year old stadium is madness and waste of my and every other tax payer's money. The people pushing for this are the developers in the pockets of the politicians.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stadiums properly built to code last a lot longer than 40 years. Commercial structures of that sort are usually rated for at least 100 years. Suspension bridges in Japan are rated for 200 years. Seoul Olympic Stadium 1988 and Munich 1972 are still being used. Tokyo 1964 recently rebuilt 50 years later only because of their new olympics otherwise it would have been retained. Knocking down a 20 year old stadium is madness and waste of my and every other tax payer's money. The people pushing for this are the developers in the pockets of the politicians.
Being structurally sound is irrelevant because it’s obviously not a problem in that regard. What is the problem is the design of the stadium and fan experience. Those stadiums you listed would have all had renovations to some degree and it doesn’t always make economic sense to renovate and in some cases it is actually cheaper to demolish it and start again. It makes even more sense when it wasn’t done properly in the first place. It might be mad to you but it makes perfect sense to me and it’s a shame the project isn’t going ahead.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The proposed rebuild of the Olympic Stadium and Football Stadium is a disgrace and a waste of tax payers money. The SFS just needed some renovation to modernise it for compliance instead of a knock down and rebuild. There was nothing wrong with the structure. Olympic Stadium is barely 20 years old. This was simply jobs for the boys and politics.
your obviously a labor man lol

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
your obviously a labor man lol
Definitely NOT! Was a swinging voter but ever since Gillard came out with her "carbon" tax I won't go near them. I used to be a civil engineer by qualification but left the profession years ago. Knocking down a perfectly sound public structure using tax payers money to me will always be a waste of money when there are far more important public works to fund.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Definitely NOT! Was a swinging voter but ever since Gillard came out with her "carbon" tax I won't go near them. I used to be a civil engineer by qualification but left the profession years ago. Knocking down a perfectly sound public structure using tax payers money to me will always be a waste of money when there are far more important public works to fund.
It's a tough one, mate.

My personal view is it needed to be done. The 2015 AFC that we hosted here highlighted that. We had big dawgs come from all over Asia to watch their teams (think royalty, sheikhs, millionaires etc) - they came to the SFS and saw the unbelievably shitty and outdated facilities that we had and compared it to their home countries. To them, it really was like a stadium from 1970 that had not been touched. Which is almost true - SFS was built in the 80s. ANZ was no different. Yes, it had slightly better facilities, better boxes etc - but does not compare to some of the stadiums in Europe and even in the Americas.

Then factor in the money the Asian cup drew into the economy. $81 million directly from the tournament itself. Then there are the long term effects - young kinds seeing the Socceroos win it on home soil saw a 20% increase in the amount of grassroots registrations. Then tie this in with what happened when Japan and Korea co-hosted the WC... a ~7-8 billion dollar investment, and drew in over 30 billion in revenue. When you add the numbers up, I feel it adds more to the WHY the NSW government went down that alley.

My point is this - if we want to be able to be a draw card for other countries to play games here, we need world class stadiums. A simple upgrade was not going to cut it. There is a huge onus on world class stadiums, which has moved from being a "drawcard" to host events, to almost a necessity (think Qatar WC bid, Japan and how far they've come since they hosted the WC in terms of Soccer on the world stage). Overall, what killed this conversation is the long drawn out process turning this into a shitfight.

Also, as a fan of many sports - I personally hate our facilities here. It's part of the reason I went from going to 20+ games per year, to not 1 in the last 2-3 years. I'm all for change if it's going to generate hype, and hopefully, a WC on our soil in my lifetime.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a tough one, mate.

My personal view is it needed to be done. The 2015 AFC that we hosted here highlighted that. We had big dawgs come from all over Asia to watch their teams (think royalty, sheikhs, millionaires etc) - they came to the SFS and saw the unbelievably shitty and outdated facilities that we had and compared it to their home countries. To them, it really was like a stadium from 1970 that had not been touched. Which is almost true - SFS was built in the 80s. ANZ was no different. Yes, it had slightly better facilities, better boxes etc - but does not compare to some of the stadiums in Europe and even in the Americas.

Then factor in the money the Asian cup drew into the economy. $81 million directly from the tournament itself. Then there are the long term effects - young kinds seeing the Socceroos win it on home soil saw a 20% increase in the amount of grassroots registrations. Then tie this in with what happened when Japan and Korea co-hosted the WC... a ~7-8 billion dollar investment, and drew in over 30 billion in revenue. When you add the numbers up, I feel it adds more to the WHY the NSW government went down that alley.

My point is this - if we want to be able to be a draw card for other countries to play games here, we need world class stadiums. A simple upgrade was not going to cut it. There is a huge onus on world class stadiums, which has moved from being a "drawcard" to host events, to almost a necessity (think Qatar WC bid, Japan and how far they've come since they hosted the WC in terms of Soccer on the world stage). Overall, what killed this conversation is the long drawn out process turning this into a shitfight.

Also, as a fan of many sports - I personally hate our facilities here. It's part of the reason I went from going to 20+ games per year, to not 1 in the last 2-3 years. I'm all for change if it's going to generate hype, and hopefully, a WC on our soil in my lifetime.
The SFS wasn't completed until the late 80's as from memory we won the first GF there in 88.
The Olympic Stadium was state of the art when it was built for the 2000 Olympics. The major complaint from fans is the crowd is too far from the field. An upgrade makes more sense than a knock down and rebuild.
Whether we have new stadiums or not I tend to just watch the footy on tv these days. Its time expensive to get there and back home, the food and drinks are expensive regardless of age of the stadium and too many yobbos in the crowd. If your reason to rebuild is because its old compared to some other countries we'll be rebuilding every 20 years because like cars, tv etc a new swanky one is just around the corner. We are too isolated and sparesly populated to get a WC on home soil compared to many other countries worldwide where the fanbase is far bigger. A WC would mean using the major stadiums around this country which has more land than the whole of Europe. I can't see it happening.