St George Illawarra interested in bad boy Mason

Status
Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Dean Ritchie

November 09, 2007 12:00am

ST GEORGE Illawarra are ready to pounce on Bulldogs discard Willie Mason in a stunning move that could cost unwanted Knights forward Kirk Reynoldson a contract with the Dragons.

After it appeared a two-horse race between the Roosters and the Sharks for Mason's signature, the Dragons have emerged as genuine contenders to sign the player who was told this week by the Bulldogs he could negotiate with rival clubs.

The Daily Telegraph understands Mason's manager Greg Keenan will hold talks this morning with Dragons chief executive Peter Doust.

St George Illawarra were close to signing Reynoldson - with Newcastle topping up his contract - before the shock development with Mason.

And in further drama for the Bulldogs, the club yesterday released halfback Brent Sherwin from the final year of his contract to join UK club Castleford.

St George Illawarra were close to signing Newcastle discard Kirk Reynoldson before having a late dash at Mason.

The club only has one vacancy for next season.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust was giving little away last night, only saying: "We've been talking to Reynoldson's manager (Les Ross). We still have one spot to fill."

Asked whether Mason was a possibility for that vacant position, Doust said: "I've got no comment. Take that how you want."

Keenan chose not to comment on the impending negotiations with St George Illawarra but admitted to meeting Roosters' supremo Nick Politis for coffee yesterday morning.

"It was a preliminary chat. Nick wanted to know what the Bulldogs' position was and whether Willie was interested in playing there," Keenan said.

Mason told Channel Seven last night he would only sign with a strong NRL club.

"I've won one premiership and I want to win more," Mason said.

"I do want to go to a team in a rebuilding stage.

"We'll see what happens when I get back to Sydney. I'm sure the s . . t will hit the fan.

"It's not like I'll be on the scrapheap."

It is understood Mason's camp is seeking a four-year deal.

There was speculation last night that the Roosters might have to shed one or even two players to sign Mason.

Forwards David Shillington, Shane Shackleton and Ashley Harrison were identified as players under scrutiny.

There were unconfirmed reports that Rooster Nate Myles was offered back to the Bulldogs but was unwanted by coach Steve Folkes.

Meanwhile Sherwin, who played 191 first grade games with the Bulldogs, will also be leaving after agreeing to play with English club Castleford.

Sherwin has been unsettled in recent years but yesterday refused to be critical of the club.

Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes said: "Shifty came to us last week with details of the overture from Castleford.

"Although it's not standard practice for us to release players early from their contracts, this opportunity was in his best interests and we would not want to stand in his way."

With Sherwin gone, there was speculation surrounding the possible swap of Brett Kimmorley to the Bulldogs and Mason to Cronulla.

But Bulldogs CEO Malcolm Noad said: "I can say categorically that despite Brett's experience he is not being courted by the Bulldogs."

Sportingbet Australia has the Bulldogs at $18 to win the NRL title next season, their longest pre-season price in memory. The Storm are $3.50 favourites to win back-to-back titles.

And in a market on Mason's move, the betting agency has the Sydney Roosters $2.35 favourites for Mason with Cronulla at $3.50, Hull ($3.75) and $4 for him to stay at the Bulldogs.

The Dragons move came as such a surprise they had not even been included in the market.

All other clubs are quoted $6.50 ahead of North Queensland ($9), although the Cowboys had shown an interest in Mason. Punters can secure odds of $21 about Mason not playing in 2008.

Sportingbet Australia's Bill Richmond said: "It wouldn't surprise to see him stay a Bulldog."

It seems certain Mason will not be signing with a non-Sydney club.

X

Xenophon

I hope he stays, but shuts his mouth at the same time.
I reckon he regrets it all but his ego is getting the better of him.
Poor Willie

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

willie can go who cares i have had enough of his stuffups.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Asked whether Mason was a possibility for that vacant position, Doust said: "I've got no comment. Take that how you want."

Keenan chose not to comment on the impending negotiations with St George Illawarra but admitted to meeting Roosters' supremo Nick Politis for coffee yesterday morning.

^^^ Once again the tele misleading everyone with their false headlines. Thats the only mention of St George in the article and they say 'Ive got no comment'. Does that equal "Dragons are interested in bad boy Mason???

And in a market on Mason's move, the betting agency has the Sydney Roosters $2.35 favourites for Mason with Cronulla at $3.50, Hull ($3.75) and $4 for him to stay at the Bulldogs.

The Dragons move came as such a surprise they had not even been included in the market.

Thats because they're not interested you ****ing morons!!!

roc-a-fella

Not impressed..
Reaction score
LOL Mass media beat up. They know the story is coming to a close so theyre trying to milk it for what it's worth

Mo_Idriss

MeaN MachinE
Reaction score
i so dont want him to go..... were farking screwed

were gana need another 3 -4 years to develop

fark that

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
There were unconfirmed reports that Rooster Nate Myles was offered back to the Bulldogs but was unwanted by coach Steve Folkes.
Good. **** off Myles you sell out.

BumAcid

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quoting Dean Ritchie articles should incur 53 infraction points.

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i so dont want him to go..... were farking screwed

were gana need another 3 -4 years to develop

fark that
Don't despair just yet.See how they go in the coming season.Maybe surprise a few cocky teams next year.This is the dogs emblem were talking about ;)

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats probably why Corey Payne left to teh Tigers

Tigers sign Payne from Dragons
Thursday, November 8, 2007 - 3:38 PM

Wests Tigers have signed St George-Illawarra backrower Corey Payne on a two-year deal to the NRL club.

Payne played 18 first grade games with the Dragons last season but, after coming off the bench in eight of them, said he wanted to become a first-team regular with the Tigers.

"I want to work hard at Wests Tigers to try and get a starting position," Payne said.

"I know there will be loyalty shown to the players who are already there but I will be aiming for a starting position, if not in the trials, then for round one."

Payne said the chance to play under premiership-winning coach Tim Sheens was a big attraction in joining the Tigers.

"I also went to Westfields Sports High School with current Wests Tigers players in Liam Fulton, Bryce Gibbs and Dene Halatau, and have spent some time with Robbie Farah at university," Payne said.

"They are all good blokes and when the opportunity came to join the Wests Tigers, I grabbed it."

Wests Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell said: "Corey is a tough, aggressive back-rower who will add plenty of starch to the forward pack.

"Corey will add to the many, good young players we have coming through at the Wests Tigers."

Source: AAP
frees up some space under the cap

Offseason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol..myles=reject
I think the only reason why Myles and any other player is not being courted by the Dogs (such as Kimorley) is because they don't want to make it easy for any club to sign Mason and are still hoping he will stay at the club. This has nothing to do with Myles, he would be a valuable player if he returned to the club but he is not worth a trade for Mason

Status
Not open for further replies.