Spike TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL expects spike in US with TV deal

September 03, 2009

THE NRL play-offs and grand final will be beamed into almost 100 million American homes after a broadcast deal was signed with US TV network, Spike TV.
Spike will air three NRL finals each week beginning on September 11 and the October 4 grand final.

“Given the entire population of Australia is only 21 million people, having our play-offs aired in almost 100 million homes on Spike TV is a very exciting opportunity for our game,” NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said.

“I have no doubt that Spike viewers will love the physicality, speed, toughness and non-stop action of the NRL.”

The addition of rugby league to Spike's TV line-up appears to be a perfect fit, with the network's core demographic young adult males.

Spike's programming is dominated by testosterone fuelled shows including mixed martial arts bouts and series titled “1000 Ways to Die”, “Deadliest Warrior” “Surviving Disaster” and “Real Vice Cops Uncut”.

Rugby league's profile has received a Hollywood-style boost in recent years with Russell Crowe regularly talking up the sport and his beloved South Sydney Rabbitohs during US media interviews, including appearances on high-rating TV talk shows hosted by Dave Letterman and Jay Leno.

AAP

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26020554-5018173,00.html

11pm Friday nights - not sure if I have this channel on my cable - but I will if it's LIVE!

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
oops Mods delete, didn't find other thread till after...sorry!

jamesb

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
it was great to have on basic cable and at a decent time slot... although the Manly V Storm game looked terrible and it was probably the worst game to have as the introduction of the NRL to the US market... half full stadium and the camera angle of the ground was bad due to Ethiad stadium being the oval AFL style stadium...

Status
Not open for further replies.