Who do you sign for 1m

• AFB

• Luai

Results are only viewable after voting.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a tough one....
You don't sign forwards for that sort of money with only few exceptions. No doubt AFB is one of the top forwards in the game -particularly last season.

But I'm a firm believer forwards need good halves as much as halves need good forwards and I'm leaning towards Luai being much more important to this team winning a GF than with AFB.

AFB ensures we don't get the spoon next year and might help us make the top 8.

But pass on Luai now and you won't get a chance to sign a top class half anytime soon.

I'd take Luai while we can and make do for next year. Then sign a big name and in form forward in 2025 unless one becomes available mid season next year (as they do these days)
What makes you think Luai will make a top half? Big risk to pay over a mill to sign when he is not a proven half back. Why wouldn't you sign Deardon whoo is a genuine half and won't cost over a million

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What makes you think Luai will make a top half? Big risk to pay over a mill to sign when he is not a proven half back. Why wouldn't you sign Deardon whoo is a genuine half and won't cost over a million
To be fair Deardon carries some risk too. He has played mainly at 5/8 and is yet to prove himself as the main playmaker at NRL level.

Regardless, comparing the two, I believe Deardon has better qualities and style to transition to halfback, but he’s not the finished / proven product yet

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We prob need a middle more than a half at this stage but either would enhance our competitiveness significantly.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People certainly dont like Luais aggro

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can we even afford AFB for 2024 thats the worrying part, might have to move some players on?
How could we not afford him? We are one of the only teams with no players above $850k. A lot of the top teams have 3-4.

South’s have Latrell, Murray, Cook, Walker.

Storm have Munster, Paps, Hughes.

Eels have Moses, Gutho, Brown, Matterson.

Panthers have Cleary, JFH, Edward’s, Luai (soon).

Roosters 1-17.

Our highest paid players are Critta and Kikau. We have so much cap space free from letting go of Thompson, Tevita, Flanno, etc.

Almost all of our $500k - $850k contracts were signed pre-increase to salary cap so they are all really good value now. We are in a very strong cap position right now and we need a game changer prop. Average halves can look better with an intimidating pack in front of them. It is enough to give our young halves confidence.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Say we piss away a million on Luai who plays halfback? Bottom 4 we remain.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Deardon is a good chance for the Dolphins.

Source: Dobbo. So, you know, not exactly iron clad.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I honestly don't think Luai is worth a million, and it won't surprise me if both Dearden and Mamm get bigger offers than him.
Luai is the best player from that lot and will get the highest offers. Panther offering Luai 850k and Cowboy offering Dearden 650k (will probably increase a bit before negotiations over). Bronco offer to Mam also lower than Luai's - 750k. For a bottom team it doesn't matter if Luai is worth 1m or not, he's worth what a top team - Panther, will pay him. If you want to get a marquee as a bottom team there's a cost.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Deardon is a good chance for the Dolphins.

Source: Dobbo. So, you know, not exactly iron clad.
They would probably have more available cap than any club, the cap went up after they signed most of their players. I doubt there would be many ratchet clauses

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerome was a good player, but he’s lot the edge. He also appears to not be a very good team player, something we need. Don’t get me wrong, at his peak, was a favourite of mine, but I think the move now is for money and not to make a huge difference at another club.