Souths see off bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dylan Walker scored a brace of tries as South Sydney opened their pre-season with a 28-20 win over Canterbury at a sun-soaked Belmore Sports Ground on Sunday.

Both sides used their first game of 2014 to field a number of players, with Souths coach Michael Maguire starting Luke Keary alongside Adam Reynolds in what could be his side's starting halves pairing for the season opener against Sydney Roosters on March 6.

Souths were without big guns Greg Inglis, Ben Te'o, John Sutton and all four Burgess brothers, who are still in England following a family bereavement.

Josh Reynolds did not play for the Bulldogs.

It was the first game in the post-Ben Barba era for Canterbury, and Sam Perrett, Drury Low and Tyrone Phillips all spent time at fullback in a game that was played in four quarters and with an early-evening kick-off to combat the stifling 30C heat.

Low opened the scoring after seven minutes for the hosts, in front of a crowd of 5913, before Beau Champion and Walker crossed in quick succession to give the Rabbitohs the lead.

Sam Kasiano scored under the posts and the conversion levelled the scores, before Keary was denied a four-pointer when his diving effort following Reynolds' pinpoint grubber kick was denied for obstruction.

In the second half, Des Hasler put out a second-string side but, almost immediately after the restart, prop Lloyd Perrett barged over from close range to give his side the lead.

Walker and Cameron McInnes then went over for the Rabbitohs in the third quarter, with Walker adding the extras before Corey Thompson raced in for Canterbury.

Chris Centrone added some extra gloss to the scoreline for Souths, whose new signing Lote Tuqiri played for 50 minutes.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Trials are always only ever about gettin some game time in your legs and trying new combinations and moves anyway..

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In 2012 we started the same way vs roosters so meh x2

N

Natboy

It was only a trial but Phillips & Templeman impressed me. Ennis looked a lot sharper & Mbye needs more time. Kasiano & TRex have definitely trimmed down!

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In 2012 we started the same way vs roosters so meh x2
Why would u thumbs down this comment??? Seriously.
i dont get it, above post of meh gets thumbs up but meh x 2 gets thumbed down. There are some morons on this site honestly!!!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why would u thumbs down this comment??? Seriously.
i dont get it, above post of meh gets thumbs up but meh x 2 gets thumbed down. There are some morons on this site honestly!!!
You were talking too much sense.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
It was only a trial but Phillips & Templeman impressed me. Ennis looked a lot sharper & Mbye needs more time. Kasiano & TRex have definitely trimmed down!
yeah was very impressed with mick. was quick on his feet and wasnt afraid to run the ball :D

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
You were talking too much sense.
May, 2012..... Have you only just worked this out?
We all knew it was a trial. If we won it, you beauty. Lost it who cares. Its a TRIAL. Trialing the newbies and up and comers, that is what's is about.
As long as some positives come out of it is all we care about, and from I have heard that has occurred.
The season proper has not started and some are carrying on like pork chops.
After last year I expect some solidarity amongst us.
Lets have some interaction between us as forum would have, but not the infighting and oneupmanship and I have more post than you bullshit.
Some post on here as if Des and Raelene are transfixed to every post and take it all into consideration when making decisions.
Lets bind together as one and push in the same direction...............2014 the year of the New Doggies.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
We all knew it was a trial. If we won it, you beauty. Lost it who cares. Its a TRIAL. Trialing the newbies and up and comers, that is what's is about.
As long as some positives come out of it is all we care about, and from I have heard that has occurred.
Lets have some interaction between us as forum would have, but not the infighting and oneupmanship and I have more post than you bullshit.
Some post on here as if Des and Raelene are transfixed to every post and take it all into consideration when making decisions.
Lets bind together as one and push in the same direction...............2014 the year of the New Doggies.
well said. even manly lost against the sharks and they had their stars available.

[FKN-SIK]

Gigidy Gigidy
Reaction score
In 2012 we lost to the Roosters at Belmore. We know where both teams finished at the end of that year. Trials don't mean much...

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I was imagining music and a waving flag behind you as I read your post...hahha good onya mate lol

soaibdiwan1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Plz hasler stop implementing Parett for no 1 jersey, p.templeman deserves to be on fullback ..

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't read too much into the result. I don't feel as if our senior guys in the first half were going all out... Idk why, something seemed weird, I felt it was more of a training run, which is not the right attitude to have.
You do realise thats exactly what trials are ? Its why they mean nothing, its a glorified training run. You think in real games coaches will pull out second string sides, or the game is split into quarters?

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as some positives come out of it is all we care about
And that sums it up nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.