Souths - 5 Consecutive Prelim Finals - 1 GF - Zero Premierships

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, if the re sign Cody Walker then nothing will change for them. Keep doing the same, expect the same result.

It is clear to see when the going gets tough, Cody loses his shit.

He did this tonight when they still had a chance to claw their way back.

Instead of taking the lead as a senior player to fight hard, he dropped his bundle and made it all about him, behaving like a spoilt petulant child.

Souths are now the games official most consistent chokers IMO.

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Say what you want about his performances in prelims but they don’t get that far without him, particularly this year with Ilias at halfback who’s been a work in progress the whole time.

Walker was 3rd in the comp for try assists and 4th for line Break assists.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would probably say Latrell went MIA more than Walker did.

Souths need more from him on a regular basis and I wouldn't be against moving him back to Centre.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d rather that record than missing six straight finals series lol

Cosy Walker is a gun. Without him they get nowhere near a prelim this year.
I'd rather find a player who can close the deal & take me all the way to the promised land.

If you're happy with 3rd best, then 3rd best is all your ever gonna get.

In the 5 years since they let Luke Keary go, he went on to win another 2 premierships 2018 & 2019 & won a Clive Churchill medal. Walker has won SFA.

Good Call Rusty.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would probably say Latrell went MIA more than Walker did.

Souths need more from him on a regular basis and I wouldn't be against moving him back to Centre.
I credit Cleary's kicking game for this.

If you noticed, Cleary wasn't gaining as much distance on his kicks last night as he normally does and I think on all but one occasion he never kicked to the centre of the field.

His purpose was to make sure that the wingers where the ones bringing the ball back (if they didn't knock it on) & not Latrell, not wanting to give him any running time or space to have the chance to create some of his brilliance.

By kicking short & high also meant that their defence had less distance to travel before they either wacked them with a tackle or put pressure on them with their presence near the ball to force an error.

This also ensured that Latrell had to run after tackle 1 or 2 with a defensive line that was ready to go.

And when Latrell did run on tackle 1 or 2, he had absolutely no time or space & they absolutely belted him which effected him for the back end of sets.

My guess is that Cleary will do the same next week to Waqa Blake & then be ready to belt Sivo & Gutherson on plays 1 & 2.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I credit Cleary's kicking game for this.

If you noticed, Cleary wasn't gaining as much distance on his kicks last night as he normally does and I think on all but one occasion he never kicked to the centre of the field.

His purpose was to make sure that the wingers where the ones bringing the ball back (if they didn't knock it on) & not Latrell, not wanting to give him any running time or space to have the chance to create some of his brilliance.

By kicking short & high also meant that their defence had less distance to travel before they either wacked them with a tackle or put pressure on them with their presence near the ball to force an error.

This also ensured that Latrell had to run after tackle 1 or 2 with a defensive line that was ready to go.

And when Latrell did run on tackle 1 or 2, he had absolutely no time or space & they absolutely belted him which effected him for the back end of sets.

My guess is that Cleary will do the same next week to Waqa Blake & then be ready to belt Sivo & Gutherson on plays 1 & 2.
Yes unfolded like you say. Gus suggested to use those tactics pre-game to cut down on Trell's effectiveness. Executed to perfection by Cleary and their defencive team.

Was very noticeable that the kicks weren't as long as usual (but still a good distance) and puzzling at first but then when they tackled the catcher a split second after catching the ball with a good complement of defence around the receiver, you could see what the tactics were. One thing to have that plan but another to execute.

We should try it with Flanno I guess cos he can't kick very far :grinning:

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
I'd rather find a player who can close the deal & take me all the way to the promised land.

If you're happy with 3rd best, then 3rd best is all your ever gonna get.

In the 5 years since they let Luke Keary go, he went on to win another 2 premierships 2018 & 2019 & won a Clive Churchill medal. Walker has won SFA.

Good Call Rusty.
Yup you punt walker to the curb if a cronk like situation arose

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
5 consecutive years of us not making the finals & no premierships in 18 years. We should not be putting down other clubs for their lack of success.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's Latrell. Walker was still tracking back in the final minutes to collect a grubber while Latrell was just walking and not even close to being in position. Previously Latrell was suspended for finals and let the team down too. Walker has an obvious problem area in his game but there's two other internationals alongside him in the spine that can be doing more and provide direction. Anyway as I've said before 5/8's aren't that important anymore when compared to other players, it's the fullback and halfback. Edwards was a beast and Cleary kicked Souths to death and that was the game.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Say what you want about his performances in prelims but they don’t get that far without him, particularly this year with Ilias at halfback who’s been a work in progress the whole time.

Walker was 3rd in the comp for try assists and 4th for line Break assists.
And 1st for big moment chokes, closely followed by whogivesafuckmatta…

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
It's Latrell. Walker was still tracking back in the final minutes to collect a grubber while Latrell was just walking and not even close to being in position. Previously Latrell was suspended for finals and let the team down too. Walker has an obvious problem area in his game but there's two other internationals alongside him in the spine that can be doing more and provide direction. Anyway as I've said before 5/8's aren't that important anymore when compared to other players, it's the fullback and halfback. Edwards was a beast and Cleary kicked Souths to death and that was the game.
Munster says hi.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The spotlight should be on Latrell, he got suspended last season and went missing against the Panthers

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Munster says hi.
If anything Munster proves my point. Storm form dropped off a cliff when they lost their fullback Paps and Bellamy eventually made the call to switch Munster from 5/8 to fullback to counter it. Munster could also probably play halfback better than half the 7's in the comp right now anyway. Gus even said himself that fullback and halfback are the two most important positions and you guys love Gus. 5/8 just isn't as a important, accept it.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
5 prelims ain’t nothing to sneeze at

We have been trash since 2017

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
3rd, 12th.......... what's the difference????

Still equals no cigar.
Good point. If anything, you’ve won nothing and ur players value still increases. So this opens u up to losing talent also.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My favourite South's prelim choke was in 2013 against Manly when they thought they were going to win.