Rumour Souffs to appoint big Mal as coach

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Souths bombshell: Mal Meninga in line to be fast tracked into coaching appointment.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have identified Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga as the top priority candidate to be parachuted into Heffron Park once the club parts ways with current coach Jason Demetriou.

In a left-field bombshell development, Fox League has learned the Rabbitohs board has been presented with a shortlist of possible candidates including Meninga, Michael Maguire and Ben Hornby with the vote for the current Kangaroos coach being unanimous.

Fox League understands the Bunnies will cut ties with Demetriou after South Sydney’s round six clash against Cronulla and then attempt to immediately fast-track negotiations with Meninga about coming in as an interim coach.

I know it's only an interim role but I hope he gets appointed and we finally prove that anyone could've coached that record breaking QLD team when Souths collect the spoon. He will no longer have once in a generation super stars to choose from to play 3 games a year but will have to actually coach for the rest of the 26 rounds.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is this a black thing?
Mal can’t coach, he was lucky that he had the best origin team, made him look good but failed miserably when he coached Australia.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bennett and Burgess to take over next year

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Have they even sacked him yet or are they expecting him to walk out and make their job easier.

Just do a swap between titans and souths because des will be next.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be fair to Mal, he did jump into coaching pretty quickly. 3 years after retirement. Plus an aging Raiders roster m

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't they mean Michael Hagan will be coaching Souffs and Meninga will be handling the press conferences?

Always a Bulldog
Hagan was my first pick to coach us once we sacked Dean Pay.

Not sure if he wanted to return to club footy though, but hes certainly the tactician.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I know it's only an interim role but I hope he gets appointed and we finally prove that anyone could've coached that record breaking QLD team when Souths collect the spoon. He will no longer have once in a generation super stars to choose from to play 3 games a year but will have to actually coach for the rest of the 26 rounds.
TBH, there's nothing wrong with Souffs roster (obviously nothing like the QLD sides he "coached" :grinning: ).

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably not his first choice,but unless retirement is his second choice, what other options will he have ?
Good question. i don;t think he's the retiring type - perhaps some sort of role at the Phins where he is now? Or even the Tits - Its not like Des will last too long...

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good question. i don;t think he's the retiring type - perhaps some sort of role at the Phins where he is now? Or even the Tits - Its not like Des will last too long...
If has-lice does get the arse he's lawyered up to the hilt and the tits will have to pay him out or go to court so he's safe for this year at least