SOS to an Experienced Half back

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is there any HB out there in the world that the dogs can buy to teach all these clueless young halves how to play in the NRL and be successful?

It would be nice to have a someone come in and be a half like Stuart and Kimmorley were for the dogs stabilising an unexperienced team as well as nurturing our halves and future halves of this club.

Questions are there in the line-up we have now so something has to give and it starts with the spine...

Lichaa is off contract.. I like the kid but bye bye
800k headache Mbye to hooker with Woolford in Rotation
Reynolds stays at the dogs playing next to experienced HB
Lewis and Keiran get an apprenticeship under experienced HB
When Reynolds and HB are done move youth into starting line-up

For now... Later...

6. Reynolds 6. Keiran
7. HB 7.Lewis
9. Mbye 9.Mbye
17.Woolford 14. Woolford

Either that or...

U release both Renoylds and Lichaa
Get HB to play next to Mbye
Garvey and Woolford share Hooking role
Lewis and Keiran still get apprenticeship and get sorted when they are ready...

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The problem with an experienced half back is they won't have time on their side. So you get 1-2 seasons then need a change again.

Lots of people on here want Cronk. That would be the worst signing we can make in my books (especially because we don't have much coming through the ranks). I would rather give 1.5 million to cleal and build something around him instead of giving 1.2 to Cronk to try to get to 1-2 more top 8s.

Our roster is aging and unbalanced, we haven't brought in any talent in the last 5 years (Morris was probably the biggest name who has missed 1 season out of 2 with injuries and trex was a massive flop) apart from that we haven't recruited any 1st graders, everyone else was a reserve grader/fringe first grader.

People say Hasler is a good coach (not sure if they are sugar coating it) in one aspect he has done well to make the top 8. But in another respect the guy had over 10 fulltime staff had all the resources and facilities available to him and only made 1 top 4 since 2012 (which was a team he inherited). Since taking over and building his team (or more likely dismantling the team) the team and the results have been getting progressively worse.

We might still make the top 8 this year (not looking likely after the first month) but the most worrying thing is Hasler has never built a team that has come close to contesting the top 4 since he has been here. And our board has never questioned him until recently because they have no idea about the game. The only director that did say something got sent to the naughty corner.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Unless Frawley kills it, we need to somehow get our hands on an experienced Halfback this season if we're still any chance. I'd even take Jeff Robson and dare I say it Chris Sandow (I just vomited in my mouth) at this stage. I'm desperate.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We don't need a big name halfback - just someone who can execute the plan. Poor retention letting Hodkinson go

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We don't need a big name halfback - just someone who can execute the plan. Bad retention letting Hodkinson go
What plan? Pass to the only player in support on your outside? Haha

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What plan? Pass to the only player in support on your outside? Haha
I'm working under the assumption Des is on limited time. Hodkinson and Mbye has the been the most balanced halves pairing we've had for a little while

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol @ keeping Reynolds. Fuck him off ffs.
Lol Neverrrrr!!!!

No seriously but there is an issue, we have some good young guys coming through... Considering Lewis and Kieran will eventually be the halves and Woolford/Tramontana will be the hooker where does Mbye go? This is the main reason i'd keep Reynolds because in 2 - 3 years his done anyway and it opens up some spots in the halves.

Fcuk I just wish he could be a FB and then everything would be fine for the future.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The problem with an experienced half back is they won't have time on their side. So you get 1-2 seasons then need a change again.

Lots of people on here want Cronk. That would be the worst signing we can make in my books (especially because we don't have much coming through the ranks). I would rather give 1.5 million to cleal and build something around him instead of giving 1.2 to Cronk to try to get to 1-2 more top 8s.

Our roster is aging and unbalanced, we haven't brought in any talent in the last 5 years (Morris was probably the biggest name who has missed 1 season out of 2 with injuries and trex was a massive flop) apart from that we haven't recruited any 1st graders, everyone else was a reserve grader/fringe first grader.

People say Hasler is a good coach (not sure if they are sugar coating it) in one aspect he has done well to make the top 8. But in another respect the guy had over 10 fulltime staff had all the resources and facilities available to him and only made 1 top 4 since 2012 (which was a team he inherited). Since taking over and building his team (or more likely dismantling the team) the team and the results have been getting progressively worse.

We might still make the top 8 this year (not looking likely after the first month) but the most worrying thing is Hasler has never built a team that has come close to contesting the top 4 since he has been here. And our board has never questioned him until recently because they have no idea about the game. The only director that did say something got sent to the naughty corner.
That's what you want though, an old head that can teach and retire.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm working under the assumption Des is on limited time. Hodkinson and Mbye has the been the most balanced halves pairing we've had for a little while
I agree with the Mbye/Hodko combo, have said that was our best combo a few times. That combo had the most potential of developing into a traditional halves pairing that you need in todays game. I just can't see us moving forward under Des anymore no matter what we do with our roster.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We don't need a big name halfback - just someone who can execute the plan. Poor retention letting Hodkinson go
Looking back was Hokko better than Mbye? I reckon.
Frawley could be the best thing to happen to us this year, he would have to have a better footy brain compared to whats been dished up so far.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Back to Belmore game huh...

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Looking back was Hokko better than Mbye? I reckon.
Frawley could be the best thing to happen to us this year, he would have to have a better footy brain compared to whats been dished up so far.
For me the decision was Hodkinson or Reynolds. Yep, fingers crossed Frawley is solid

Status
Not open for further replies.