Sonny Bill itching for another run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
source - SMH

SONNY Bill Williams was a little bit filthy. He begged for more time on the paddock but the word from the Bulldogs coaches' box was to sit tight on his plastic bench seat. After 10 months on the sidelines with a knee injury, and then stress fractures of his feet, Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes was careful with his fragile superstar.

So yesterday the 20-year-old Williams played his 21st NRL game, and for exactly 26 minutes he eagerly ran around the field.

Nothing went wrong but he did want more of a go. "It was good even though it wasn't that long," Williams said. "It was a bit of a short spell but it's good to come through the game unscathed.

"I was struggling a bit, but then we scored a try, then he [Folkes] pulled me off and I was a little bit filthy. But because I've been off it for so long, he's going to build me up over the next couple of weeks."

Before he ran on, Williams admitted to feeling a few nerves. "There were jitters," he said.

For most of the first half Williams kept the bench warm. With a coat over his bouncing legs, he sat anxiously and impatiently, waiting to have his turn. Whenever Williams went for a warm-up run to stretch his legs or ride the exercise bike, the Telstra Stadium crowd would roar. But the greatest roar came when Williams was finally allowed to go onto the field. He threw a few push-ups, stretched, and then waited, furiously waving the No.5 placard. He motioned wildly for Trent Cutler to come off the field.

For the six minutes before half-time, Williams was a feisty presence. Just two tackles after taking the field, Williams received his first touch of the ball and almost broke through the tackle of Yileen Gordon. After playing the ball he delivered a little punch to Gordon's head. It all got Willie Mason wondering.

"As soon as he did his first hit-up, I wondered if he was going to get up," Mason said. "I just clapped when he got up. We didn't expect the world from him. We didn't expect him to make breaks and be hitting blokes and that - that's probably what the outside world expected. It's just good to have him out there."

Williams said his chest was heaving as he found his feet again. "It was funny getting tackled again," he said. "I didn't do anything special but it was good to get it out of the way."

He played on for the majority of the second half and then, with 19 minutes to go, he became a spectator again. "I wanted to get back out there, I kept telling Bradley Clyde to ask Folkesy to put me back on," Williams said. "Hopefully, gradually I'll progress and get a bit more game time."

D

D0ggyStylz

"I wanted to get back out there, I kept telling Bradley Clyde to ask Folkesy to put me back on," Williams said.
LOL poor bloke! But i agree with Folkes, don't wanna over do it.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Well it's good to see him back on the field one of the superstars of the game being out for so long but didn't get alot of game time. He should progress through out when time goes by.

LMAO at your signature Rick James

Hahhaha

kiddog

A legend in NRL
Reaction score
i agree with what sonny bill was saying. he had been out for18 months and had been itching to go on and stay on. you would really wanna go on too if you were out that long.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Crowd went Nuts when he eventually came on, it was awesome!

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
kiddog said:
i agree with what sonny bill was saying. he had been out for18 months and had been itching to go on and stay on. you would really wanna go on too if you were out that long.
i believe the coach has a even more valid point in saying that he should be eazed back in to playing longer games. he needs to get his body used to getting nocked around, otherwise he could injur himself again.

as for the crowd going crazy it was bl00dy awsome, even with just his face appearing on the big screen ppl were cheering hardcore. great atmosphere

Just Me

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh I got goosebumps when he FINALLY came on. What was with the Souths commentator guy - he never once mentioned any interchanges!

23_EzA_23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
DogSquad said:
But the greatest roar came when Williams was finally allowed to go onto the field. He threw a few push-ups, stretched, and then waited, furiously waving the No.5 placard. He motioned wildly for Trent Cutler to come off the field.
Did Cutler come off? I don't remember seeing who SBW replaced.

Mo_Idriss

MeaN MachinE
Reaction score
i so fell for Sonny, go hard champ,,,, i could understand y he wanted to play more footy but folksi knows what his doing, he wants to get him back into the game bit by bit against Manly will see more action of him

D

D0ggyStylz

Mrs.Maitua said:
Yeh I got goosebumps when he FINALLY came on. What was with the Souths commentator guy - he never once mentioned any interchanges!
The Souths Announcer was retarded. He kept on bumbling his words, getting names wrong and always getting the scoreline wrong. I think he is from triple m.

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
^^^^^

yup from triple M

didnt hear about any interchange

Status
Not open for further replies.