Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Sonny Bill hasn't ruled out move to UK
November 29, 2006 - 3:39PM
Source: SMH.com.au

League sensation Sonny Bill Williams has not ruled out moving to England as early as 2008, as soon as his $400,000-a-year deal with the Bulldogs expires.

The 21-year-old added he was looking forward to leading New Zealand over the coming years, following the international retirements of Kiwi greats Ruben Wiki, Stacey Jones and Nigel Vagana last week.

English Super League Clubs have shown a keen and sustained interest in the star backrower since he burst onto the scene in 2004, including a $900,000-a-season offer from St Helens, which he rejected.

"England hasn't been ruled out," he said on Wednesday.

"Nothing has been ruled out at this stage, you know. The fact that I'm only 21 is going to play a big part.

"Hopefully I can stay with the Bulldogs, but my manager hasn't started talking yet with the club, so we'll see how we go."

Though relatively green, Williams' short career has been ravaged by injury and his longevity in the sport has already come under question.

"It's not something I think about a lot - how long I will be able to play for - but maybe I should," he said, when asked should he make as much money as he can while he can.

Since making his first grade debut in March 2004 he has only played 41 games out of a possible 78, missing 37, or almost half, through injury.

He also missed New Zealand's recent Tri-Nations campaign.

"The boys went so well and not being a part of it was pretty shattering," the 191cm, 102kg Kiwi said.

"In saying that, I'm only 21 and hopefully there's a lot more Tests for me to be in."

Over the past few years Wiki, Jones and Vagana - who played 139 Test between them - helped NZ narrow the international gap between them and Australia.

Last year NZ won the Tri-Nations final, and this year it came within inches of retaining it, losing the final in golden point extra time on Saturday night.

"With them boys leaving, us young fellas are gonna have to step up," Williams said.

"I'm guessing Benji (Marshall) is gonna be in the team next year, and he'll have to step up, and all us young forwards are gonna have to step up too."

It's more than three months until the 2007 NRL season proper begins, but the Bulldogs are already in training six days a week.

Williams is approaching the pre-season differently this year, doing everything to avoid another injury.

"The NRL season is pretty long so I've learned to be more sensible with my training ... not be a bull out of the gate and not rush things," he said.

"I'm not going to go crazy three months before the season starts, I'm just gonna build up.

"But it's tough you know, we've got a three-day bike ride coming up. But yeah, it's just got to be done."

H

Haztrick

Isn't next year his last if he doesn't re-sign? The article says 2008 is the season he could make the move to England.

Oh well, I hope we re-sign him. We should because he seems happy here and is on great money.

Nate

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His manager hasn't even started talking to the club yet? Bloody hell, might see Willie and Sonny over at St Helens in the future.

J-H13

Kennel Established
Reaction score
sonny wont stay here hsi manager is doing the talking to sonny and he is listening so i think sonny will be gone at the end of his contract

NoFear-We'reBULLDOGS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Whenever he speaks to the media he always says he is happy at the Dogs and would like to stay. Hopefully talks will get underway soon and we'll know what's going to happen post 2007. I can't see him moving to the UK after next year, I reckon he'll stick around in the NRL for a while, atleast I hope so. Even if he doesn't re-sign, I'd much rather him stay in the NRL for a long time yet.

..shurrup..

Kennel Established
Reaction score
sonny wont stay here hsi manager is doing the talking to sonny and he is listening so i think sonny will be gone at the end of his contract
i hope not.........i hope sonny decides wat he wants and doesnt listen to his manager

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
I don't think any Nrl player will rule out a move to the Uk.

J-H13

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i hope not.........i hope sonny decides wat he wants and doesnt listen to his manager
I think sonny will listen to his manager....the guy is a dikhead to admit it but i just got a feeling sonny will go this time...ALL ABOUT THE $$$$$

£©

Taxed By £©
Reaction score
Fellow Doggies supporters relax, you're forgetting one important thing...

The Newspapera hate us - this is the kind of repsonse they want from you >:(

The Bulldogs are currently working with SBW and his Managers to finalise a deal before Xmas that will have him with us for 3 more years (2010) after that, he can go to England. Just win us a tri-fector and i'll be happy :grinning:

EY

Teach them young
Reaction score
Here we go again....
Thank God we aren't a one player club. I'd love to be rewarded for developing players but it’s not going to happen. If he goes it will be very sad but we will produce another champion.
"Money talks" & that’s the bottom line!

£©

Taxed By £©
Reaction score
^ ^ That's right mate. We'll also free up cash to buy more good players. Hmmm how much is Benji Marshall going for these days ;)

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the same thing we heard before Sonny last re-signed. He'll stay with us, i'm 99% sure of it

EY

Teach them young
Reaction score
^ ^ That's right mate. We'll also free up cash to buy more good players. Hmmm how much is Benji Marshall going for these days ;)
He has played less games than Sonny, would that be money well spent ;-)

M

MrCharisma

Cya later Sell-Out Williams

Good to see some loyality when we showed you some during long stints on the sideline.

M

Mr Miyagi

Hope he gets that big payday.
Not from us though.
Hes gonna sell us out.
Good luck to him whatever he does anyway

H

Haztrick

lmfao @ all the people jumping to conclusions over 1 article.. Our ''fans'' are already paying out players for stuff that hasn't even happened yet.. FFS alot of people on here love to jump to conclusions. Think positive people!!!

M

MrCharisma

lmfao @ all the people jumping to conclusions over 1 article.. Our ''fans'' are already paying out players for stuff that hasn't even happened yet.. FFS alot of people on here love to jump to conclusions. Think positive people!!!
TBH

I never wanted him here to begin with. When the time came for Anasta/Mason/Williams to resign, I wanted Anasta and Mason to resign first... after all they'd been at the Dogs for sometime and deserved preference over One Season Wonder Williams.

If he is trying to command so much money, I doubt he'll stay. We've had plenty of players knock back big money to stay at Belmore. I think if he is really keen on staying, he would have said "I'm focused on staying with the Dogs"

Bring back loyal guys like Steve Readon!

Status
Not open for further replies.